Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 08 Exhaust Question  (Read 6896 times)

Offline 07BlackBusa

• Rider
08 Exhaust Question
« on: January 31, 2009, 03:56:29 PM »
Will a 99-07 pipe fit a second gen??? What mods are required if any??

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
Re: 08 Exhaust Question
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:14:01 PM »
It fits but you will have to cut the lower section of your fairing where the mid pipe exits out to before it goes up to the baffle,do a search GEN1 muzzy pipe on an 08,there was a pic where the guy had it on the bike and you'll see what I mean.I don't know what pipe your using but you'll get to see if you want to cut your fairing or not,maybe a pipe other than a muzzy won't require you to trim the fairing.

Offline bikefrk

• Post Whore
  • WestSide,Mi
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »
Yes it will fit.

I put my Akro full Ti system on mine. I still have to trim the belly wing to clear the midpipe.

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 10:43:33 PM »
I can't bare to cut plastic on a new bike to make a pipe fit but if you can live with it you can save yourself some dollars.Hows the power gain with the Gen1 pipe on an 08 anyway,I bought the Akro single carbon race and it looks and sounds sweet,also made 186 hp on a stingy dino,the bike runs great what a difference when you loose the stock exhuast.

Offline bikefrk

• Post Whore
  • WestSide,Mi
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 08:01:05 PM »
With no tuning my bike made 178hp, with the Akro. Not the most power made when compared with others bikes, but it will get better once I get tuning done to it.

The most important factor for me was losing the weight of the stock system.

I had the exhaust laying around so I figured why not put it on?

I had this exhaust on two previous Gen 1 bikes and it only made around 8hp when just bolted on, no tuning.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:05:23 PM by bikefrk »

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:17:35 AM »
don,t be too fussed about the number if you lose 16kg,thats like gaining over 5ft/lbs of torque from idle to redline.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Steve@OrientExpress

• SITE SPONSOR
  • Rider
    • Orient Express Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 04:03:40 PM »
A PowerCommander will help make a bit more power than 178, but what it really will do is make the bike fell much more responsive and crisp from idle to redline. Especially at small throttle openings or when you are trying to modulate the throttle. I know Akrapovic likes to claim you don't need to remap - but the reality is you will get the best performance all around with some remapping.
OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Steve@OrientExpress.com
http://www.orientexpress.com

I'm here to help - please email me with any questions for quickest reply!

Offline NotSoMadRussian

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
A PowerCommander will help make a bit more power than 178, but what it really will do is make the bike fell much more responsive and crisp from idle to redline. Especially at small throttle openings or when you are trying to modulate the throttle. I know Akrapovic likes to claim you don't need to remap - but the reality is you will get the best performance all around with some remapping.

Full exhaust - no question
Slip-ons - no need

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »

I am running the PC3 and my bike was remapped on an engine brake dyno and it's throttle response is spot on,not a glitch anywhere,like a stocker but way more power.   

Offline george henry

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »
good reading  here for all those in need.

Offline Steve@OrientExpress

• SITE SPONSOR
  • Rider
    • Orient Express Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
Again, to be clear, a Power Commander (or any other fuel injection controller) is not strictly about horsepower. It is one factor, and one that a lot of folks look at first, but really only one. A Power Commander helps to tune the fuel injection, with the goal being a smooth and even Air/Fuel ratio from idle to redline. No one can argue that the stock ECU mapping is lean in some areas, and rich in others - with the stock exhaust, slip ons, or a full system. These rich and lean spots affect driveability and throttle response. Some folks are VERY sensitive to these changes, other folks are not. In general though, one ride on a properly mapped bike with a Power Commander will be enough to convince most folks. If you have not been impressed so far, perhaps the mapping/tuning was not done well or carefully, perhaps there is something else affecting things, etc. The side benefit of a clean Air/Fuel ratio is increased power.

Look at it this way. Your motor is a big, glorified hot air pump. Bone stock, the air goes in and gets pumped out in specific known volumes. This is why the size and shape of the airbox and intakes and filter are so important. They are "tuned" to help produce smooth clean crisp power. The same holds true for the exhaust. Once you make a change to the exhaust, in general, you are getting more flow through the motor. More air without fuel at some RPM's, and perhaps less air at others (rich) because of resonances etc. You have disturbed the status quo. A Power Commander brings the orchestra back into harmony - restores order to the universe, etc. Restores the status quo - at a new flow level to compensate for the exhaust.

I cannot directly answer questions about the PCV and pre-2009 models right now. I hope you understand :-)
OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Steve@OrientExpress.com
http://www.orientexpress.com

I'm here to help - please email me with any questions for quickest reply!