Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How much motorcycling experience did you have before buying the Busa?  (Read 190081 times)

Offline Nakedbusa

• Rider
I started on a Mini bike I built out of wood scraps from my Grandfathers wood shop and used the gas engine on the washing machine. I was about 9-10 at the time. Since then I have always had a bike. Motorcycle enthusiast
pretty much all my driving years. 10 years on and off as a motorcycle messenger doing 70-80K miles a year.

Glad to say never down on the street. There have been many moments I wondered why I didnt go down but have been very lucky so far.

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
Had a yamaha 50 when i was 6    first street bike was a 04 kaw 636  rode it for the summer and got a 05 busa

Offline 1BadAssBusa

• Mad Post Whore
    • Ruthless Performance Motorsports
I rode a Harley Daividson for 10 years before I bought my first BUSA.  So basically you could say I had ZERO Motorcycle Riding Experience........LOL

But in all honesty, I was the first sport bike I ever rode, when I took it off the lot.......  Only problem I had was tasking a right out of the dealer lot, the back tire spun because it was brand new.

Just take it easy and respect the beast.......
Joey

"Got Boost?!?!?!?!"

Offline TaoBusa

• Post Master
    • Yorihey.com
Same here. Took MSF, then bought the busa. I HAVE had a few wrecks, but that was a combination of being stressed-out, tired and too much speed.

Offline Shortstuf92

• Rider
 I just picked up my first Busa a couple of weeks a go its a new Orange 08, I have been riding bikes for over 43 years. I will be selling my 05 FJR when the weather warms up. Can't wait for the weather to start warming up here in northern Wisconsin.

Offline QuietStorm

• Rider
8 months on a EX-500 and then bought brand new 07.

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
about 2hrs combined on a Ninja 250 and ZX-6R...

bought the busa first time cashflow allowed...06 with 200 miles on it...now 42xx and still alive...

only thing i'd have done different is take a MSP course first...which i'm doing as soon as the weather breaks here in PA...

i usually do everything bass ackwards...so there ya go...lol

Offline Ken S

• Rider
I rode a few smaller bikes in my teens, then had a 30 year gap and decided to take my test, passed my test and had a 650 bandit for 7 months and then got my Busa.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
about 2hrs combined on a Ninja 250 and ZX-6R...

bought the busa first time cashflow allowed...06 with 200 miles on it...now 42xx and still alive...

only thing i'd have done different is take a MSP course first...which i'm doing as soon as the weather breaks here in PA...

i usually do everything bass ackwards...so there ya go...lol
If you bought a Busa after just 2 hrs of rideing experiance and road it for 2 years and are still alive, you need to change your name from Fubar to Lucky :thumb:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline bobbos21

• Rider
i rode a 600 for about 3 months before i got a busa. Im 25 now if i would have been younger i would be dead. I also took msf best money ever spent hands down. 600 was the first bike and time i had ever rode. Just use your head, respect the busa and i think anyone can ride one if you have a brain

Offline B Plas

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
  • Why not just tell it the way it is?
Honda CBR 900RR for 7 years (1993) before I bought my 1st Busa.
"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider
Honda Z50   hit the BBQ plate in the back yard, 7 stitches
Suzuki TM125 ~   high geared teeth, had to run it down a hill to get it started
Kawasaki KDX 175   loved the band
Yamaha XT 200  got me to the pub & back
Yamaha XT 550   time to learn wheelies
Kawasaki Z900   Pushed it, more than rode it !
Suzuki RG 250  ex race bike , bag of trouble
Yamaha RD 350   couldn't stop it !
Yamaha RZ 500   no ground clearance almost killed miself, trying to run wif the boyz !
Kawasaki KX 250   Trouble, trouble, trouble
Honda XR 650 R ~   love it / keeper
Suzuki Hayabusa 04' ~ that nearly cost me my licence
Suzuki hayabusa 08' ~ quick interlude
Suzuki hayabusa 09' ~ my baby / keeper
That was a memory stretch .... Hope i didn't leave anyone out !
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would of made cows out of wood !!

Offline Typhoon Mist

• Rider
I started riding when I was 9 years old, homemade minibike my uncle put together for us kids. I'm now 44 years old and this is my 2nd Busa. So, I've had many motorcycles over the years prior to arriving at the best. And if it ain't broken, why fix it or trade it in? The Busa has always done what I've asked of it and more. Aside from maybe a nice large Goldwing that's fully loaded for long trips, I'll never walk away from this product!  :wink:
"Never trouble trouble, until trouble troubles you!"

Offline TurboTim

• Post Master
  • Ethanol Express
    • My old LS1 powered Astro van
You guys will love this. A few of my friends had bikes. I say I want a Busa. Most say no the people who know me say yes. I was 22 bought from the dealer. Never owned or even ridden a bike. Wanted it so bad I drove it home in the rain. Told my dad it was a touring 600 after I took off the gsx1300r stickers. Latter he found out by the owners manual. 2 weeks after buying it had nightmares about dying. 3 months later turbocharged it and had 347 horse. Still own it many years later and 3 other bikes have came and gone. Still alive today. Can't get enough. 
03 LE Hayabusa Turbo, DTA S80 controlling fuel and spark tuned by me, built by me, running E85...105 octane at the pump. Ducati Monster Turbo 900

Offline IFlyLow

• Rider
None for me. Bought a brand 05 LE in Sept 05, now 41k miles later still running like a champ. No gets off yet, got bagged into once.  :bah: Has pistons and cams now. Wish I would have left it stock or turboed it.

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
  • Timer and EV Tech - LTA
I can't believe all you guys who got a 'Busa as a first or second bike...

My first ride was a long time ago on a Honda 65 that we rode in the fields behind my friend's house.  I was 25 when I got my first street bike (1978) and have probably ridden 250K miles on a variety of machinery before I got my '03 'Busa.

I've ridden trials, motocross, enduros and have ice raced; any kind of riding makes you a better rider!  I still recommend a dual-purpose as a first bike so you can hit the trails, slide around a bit and learn what it feels like to be on the edge a bit.   :hys:
206 mph on street legal electric ' Busa

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider
Do agree Frank re: dual purpose. I wonderer if you would have jumped on a busa earlier, had they been available. It would be pretty hard for new riders to sit back & wait till the experience kicks in, when your busting for a blast on one !  

Offline fubar569

• OFF TOPIC
  • Rider
I absolutely love my busa...but it's only great when the weather's nice...otherwise it sits or gets ridden like a snail and it doesn't like that at all...

in retrospect, i do not regret the busa as a first purchase...but i wish i had also bought a dualsport or dirtbike in addition to the busa so i'd be able to ride year round and in less than perfect weather...there's alot of good riding and parties i can't quite get to because i lack ground clearance, suspension, and tires...

Offline Frank06

• Site Donor
  • Rider
  • Timer and EV Tech - LTA
It's a tough call - my 'Busa replaced an '86 Ninja 1000 which was pretty stout for its time but nothing compared to the new stuff.  I also ride old 2-strokes.  The truth is that my H2 (750 cc 2-stroke triple with mild mods) can provide as much excitement as the 'Busa - it all just happens at lower speeds.  Go through the gears on the H2 and you're still hanging on (power wheelies in 3rd gear) but it's all tapped out just when the 'Busa is starting to wake up.  I've had dual sports that have let me hit the trails on the way home from work and sometimes that's just what I needed to get my head in a better place.  I guess what I'm saying is that for me, sometimes there's more to riding than outright power and speed.
206 mph on street legal electric ' Busa

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider

The 750 triple were a ball buster when they were released, there's no questioning that !
There was a time when to me, speed & power was everything, there is heaps of other ways to get kicks. I have a Honda XR 650 R single cylinder as you know, love taking that out every now & again, the torque is heaps of fun, bit heavy in the bush but bloody good fun.     

Offline TonyMariñez

• Rider
  • RIP DaveO
About 20 years before getting my 05 busa

Offline 00blackss

• Rider
had a 1998 suzuki marauder for 8 years.  been racing dirt bikes my whole life..

Offline SuperBikeFan08

• Rider
  • Bird Gang MC......Bitch!!!
President Obama, I Support Gun Control... I Practice It Everytime I Go To The Range For Target Practice!!! LoL

Offline HOAX

• Rider
Started riding around age 12 (now 30), dirt bikes, interceptor, 750 nighthawk, then in the 90's got into a couple of zx's which carried me through to about 2003, was without til i bought my '07 busa in 2007. although i would have bought a busa long ago had i found a good deal, have wanted one since they came out!

Offline GetBusa

• New User!
I rode dirt bikes thru the teen years. Road street off and on for few years before I bought my new 2007 Busa.
2 Different bikes in 1. Under 6k RPM Nice /Over 6K RPM Nasty :thumb: :crzy: