Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Carbon exhaust systems  (Read 4695 times)

Offline bouncer

• Rider
Carbon exhaust systems
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:13:49 PM »
I have a question reguarding carbon exhausts... The local bike shop tried telling me that if I was going to order the yosh r-77 carbon full exhaust that I'd have to be really carefull and make sure to repack it regularly or else it basically decintergrates (spelling sorry?) under the clamp? Is this true? Has anyone else had any issues with theirs? I'm thinking about the ti force or the r-77 full systems. I really loved the looks of my stainless r-77 slipons, but I sold them in order to upgrade to a full and now I don't want to buy something that won't last. Is he full of shit or is there a history of carbon can failures I don't know about?

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
Re: Carbon exhaust systems
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:24:49 AM »
carbon skins cant handle the heat as well as steel skinned cans.So they often use stainles steel wool then fibreglass packing over the top which comes into contact with the carbon.The fibreglass does burn out of the can sooner than stainless steel wool,will.So at the start of your can the packing will burn out first and the band will get hot and keep the carbon hot which eventually makes it brittle.Alot of the sound differnce with a carbon can over a steel skinned can is the packing material not the carbon skin itself.Put it this way,carbon cans don,t last too long on dynos.Ive had a few,there good ,but you do have to redo the packing peroidically which mucks up the tune a surprising amount.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Steve@OrientExpress

• SITE SPONSOR
  • Rider
    • Orient Express Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:46:30 PM »
As Glenn said, it depends on the heat and conditions you are going to expose it to. If you plan to do a lot of extended dyno work, and or sustained high RPM riding, carbon is not the best material. Its the heat as well as the gasses that degrade the carbon.

That being said, I have over 50k on my TiForce can on my ZRX-1200, including 5 dyno runs on 2 different bikes - and it still looks and sounds like new. TiForce uses stainless steel wool around the baffle, followed by high heat fiberglass packing. It is rare to see a TiForce can that has had the packing blown out from normal street use (ti canisters). So far, we have not had any problems with the carbon canisters either, they seem to be made to the same high standard as the titanium canisters have been.

Many manufacturers will put the carbon skin over an aluminum/titanium/stainless inner skin, to provide extra insulation and protection.

Now - there are some carbon fiber materials that do very well with high heat conditions - but they are usually tremendously expensive.

But basically - yes, the bike shop was good to warn you... If you are a regular street rider, then you can probably go ahead with the carbon can's and never have to worry. If you plan on heavy mods and dyno work and drag racing etc, then I would suggest the titanium canisters.

Give me a shout if you want a good price :-)

OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Steve@OrientExpress.com
http://www.orientexpress.com

I'm here to help - please email me with any questions for quickest reply!

Offline bouncer

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:50:51 PM »
Well thank you for the help in making my decision. I decided better safe than sorry and didn't order the carbon... I'm not doing heavy mods but I really liked the stainless cans before. I ordered a ti-force full system and I'll post up a couple pics whenever she's done!

Offline NotSoMadRussian

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:15:35 PM »
Just talked to Yoshimura guys, since I have R-77 in carbon on my bike.

With regural riding, you are good for 10-15K miles, if you race, less.

All you have to do is send your cans to them and they will do all the work for like $60, takes less then a week turnaround time.
I will do it during winter, so no biggy.

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
I read a test in a pommie magazine on the 08' Busa , It was the editors own bike & he was saying the R~77 carbon can he was running on it was starting to spit some of the packing out near the end cap join or something & he was saying he was surprised at the lack of quality product from Yoshimura, make your own conclusion !! 
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would of made cows out of wood !!

Offline Steve@OrientExpress

• SITE SPONSOR
  • Rider
    • Orient Express Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:09:31 PM »
As stated above - it all depends on what kind of use you put the cans through... Regular street riding, short shifting, moderate RPM's and 10-15k should be no problem. Once you get to sustained high RPM like at the track or on the Dyno, a lot more exhaust gas flow and heat is generated, and the chance for a failure increases. Yoshimura makes a quality product, but bear in mind that the short cans (like R77) have to do more work than the standard size ones and their construction may be a bit different. Easy enough to quiet a 600cc sport bike with an R77, but a big bike puts out a lot more exhaust gas and heat.
OFFICIAL SITE SPONSOR

Steve@OrientExpress.com
http://www.orientexpress.com

I'm here to help - please email me with any questions for quickest reply!

Offline BLU88

• Post Master
  • "Ride it hard or dont ride it"
    • ccpowersports
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 06:48:53 PM »
I have a carbon brock g3 and have put 26000 miles on it with many nights at the track, topend runs, and normal riding and have never had a problem with the carbon can. has been a great product.

i would def. buy a carbon can again.   :thumb:
2013  black "throat punch racing"
2008  gray and black. (Sold)
2002 black n blue.(sold)

Offline bouncer

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:47:23 PM »
Well I just picked up my tiforce system and it looks beautiful  :D The best $825 I've spent on this bike. I didn't get the carbon though