Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Any k1/k2 turbo riders in here?  (Read 4778 times)

Offline rotamonkey

• Rider
Any k1/k2 turbo riders in here?
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:48 AM »
Looking for someone to bounce questions off for the build up of my k1 gsxr 1000.

I was goin to run larger injectors s2000's (are they a direct fit for the k1?) but I have been told that I should bag the idea as they are no good on the 1000 and go straight to a set of secondaries run by an aem fic piggyback controller. I was also told to have at least a 0.020" end gap on my rings does this sound right?

I was looking at an APE high volume oil pump gear, is there any drawbacks to using these? Any help appreciated.

Offline Busacraver

• Post Master

Offline Jeffsfaster

• Rider
Re: Any k1/k2 turbo riders in here?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:51:52 AM »
here i am. Im building one now and almost finished

Offline rotamonkey

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
hey fellas,
got most of my setup sorted now. rebuilds on the back end. just one question. If I run s2000's and an AEM do I have to run an FMU or can I just run a 1:1 regulator Ive got an inline fuel pump just not too sure how to setup the fueling...

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
1:1
Official Site Donor

Offline rotamonkey

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »
thanks mate, everyone I talk to tells me not to use one but I see so many of these setups with FMU's... I thought they were only good if you are using stock injectors but I see blokes in here using them on high power engines....

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
You need some sort of Boost mapping in the system somewhere, if you have a powercommander , which is tps based then a fmu is mostly what follows and adds fuel based on boost,but its not very flexable and is only realy correct at the boost level you tune at.
Your boost mapping piggyback is totally flexable and when tuned will add fuel for what ever boost level you can produce up to either the limit of your injectors or the build of the engine.

There is a 1/2 way that can be used with a boost based piggyback and thats to use a small rate of rise regulator like a Malpassi 1.7:1 that can allow you to have bigger than std injectors , still within the ability to idle smoothly and part throttle well .. but still reach a good hp level before running out of injector
Official Site Donor

Offline rotamonkey

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 01:13:26 AM »
think Ive got ya on that one. starting to get my head around this a bit better. I think I see what your gettin at with the 1.7:1, but If you could get it idling the 1:1 would be easier to tune and be good for different boost levels tuning with the AEM. With an FMU you just set 2 diffferent fuel pressures with the screws one at idle and one on boost at a set boost level and it has to be adjusted every time you want to change something. Ill start with the 1:1, set the starter map with the AEM then adjust the map with the logger. If everything rocks up on time I should have the engine back together and hopefully back in the frame next weekend. :thumb:

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
 :thumb:
Official Site Donor

Offline rotamonkey

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 07:32:49 PM »
One of the guys from the turbo shops around here told me the stock fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump from the k1/k2's is fine for low boost applications... Ive been checkin out the diagram in the manual but all it does is return fuel if it goes over 43psi in the supply line. Does anyone run it like that?

A 1:1 increases fuel pressure to help injector flow and spray against rising manifold pressure as boost increases so its probably a better idea. I have a return fuel setup from the kit anyway, It should be fine if I plumb the regulator after the inline fuel pump before the stock fuel rail right...

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 02:56:10 PM »
Reg maintains 43 psi , the pump should be able to deliver more than the std engine requirement, but not much , std reg without boost referencing will have the effective fuel pressure dropping as boost increases then needing more duty cycle on the injectors to compensate, not that much duty cycle spare, you may be able to do it with the bigger s2k injectors you have but not something i would recommend..
check out the fuel pressure calculator here http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4,  and if you allow roughly 5cc/hp you can figure out if your fuel system is in the ball park.
also do a flow and pressure test before running the bike, flow from the pump drops off as pressure increases

be safer to fit a higher rated fuel pump and referenced regulator, and put a bulkhead fitting in the tank floor , use this for the supply on an external pump and with the std pump removed the old supply becomes the return

Official Site Donor