Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: air box mod  (Read 23185 times)

Offline busa20

• Rider
  • us guys racing
air box mod
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
is the air box mod worth doing for a genI busa for dragracing?
thanks
kawkiller

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
  • Yeah, I Know!,"Ride Till The End Ball Till I Fall"
Re: air box mod
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »
Yes,It good no matter what ur using the bike for, Alway remember More air=more power. Just do the small box mod and get rid of the emmisions.
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline LeasingGuy

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:57:05 AM »
is the air box mod worth doing for a genI busa for dragracing?
thanks

only if you want to go fast, for dragracing its MANDATORY if you have a pipe
TAG Motorsports
NHRA #317
AMA D-18 MX #775

Offline busa20

• Rider
  • us guys racing
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:54:58 AM »
yes i want to go fast, i have a sidewinder and i also need to get my bike tuned.
any pictures of a small air box mod?
thanks
kawkiller

Offline LeasingGuy

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
yes i want to go fast, i have a sidewinder and i also need to get my bike tuned.
thanks

Got Word?  http://www.brocksperformance.com/Instructions/Hayabusa/Air%20Box%20Mod_web.doc

If you have a PowerCommander, I've got a good base map for ya   :thumb: :thumb:
TAG Motorsports
NHRA #317
AMA D-18 MX #775

Offline wildchildbmx6

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:33:45 AM »
DO IT. gives the bike some more kick even with a stock airfilter but i suggest a K&N or similar

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=130510.0

Offline wildchildbmx6

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »
hey Leasingguy is it a custom map or just one from power commander?

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:54:31 AM »
What kinda of sidewinder so u have?
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline busa20

• Rider
  • us guys racing
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
thanks

Got Word?  http://www.brocksperformance.com/Instructions/Hayabusa/Air%20Box%20Mod_web.doc

i have a power commander but i haven't had time to hook it up
kawkiller

Offline busa20

• Rider
  • us guys racing
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 07:46:06 PM »
thanks

i have a powercommander but i havent had time to hook it up.
kawkiller

Offline busa20

• Rider
  • us guys racing
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »
What kinda of sidewinder so u have?
i have an old msp sidewinder
kawkiller

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
Di the Mod, I will send u a great map :thumb: 2nd DO NOT wast your money on a k&n filter A stock filter flows just find. Go on to Brock's site, He even states that a stock filter is all you need, Why would want all that oil and element crap on your air filter! Suzuki, did there R&D with the Hayabusa, the only reason certain things are the way they are is emissions. Send me a pm if u want to try a good base line map. :thumb:
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
2nd DO NOT wast your money on a k&n filter A stock filter flows just find. Go on to Brock's site, He even states that a stock filter is all you need, Why would want all that oil and element crap on your air filter! Suzuki, did there R&D with the Hayabusa, the only reason certain things are the way they are is emissions. Send me a pm if u want to try a good base line map. :thumb:

Well, with all due respect,, I have never read a bigger load of crap that what you just said there. For one; Brock's website is outdated and needs a visit by those that have been in this a while. I respect Brock, but I don't know who last edited his findings. There is plenty in there open for conjecture.
[size=06pt]One of the modifications I suggest with my pipe package is to the stock air box. This brings me to some valuable information that I don’t mind sharing. Listen VERY closely; the new machines of today enjoy nearly nothing in common with the old KZ’s, GS’s and even GSXR’s of the past. The new bikes are nearly perfect. Unless your modern day rocket is parked on a dyno, nine out of ten changes that you make to the stock configuration will probably result in a LOSS of performance and/or reliability. It takes a pretty brazen individual, from the confines of his own garage, to second-guess a multi-million dollar research and development team! Leave your bike alone except for the changes I suggest, and soon we will all be outrunning the guys who try to think alone. It will be our own little cult of fast guys on stock bikes, kicking the crap out of anyone who dares sit still next to us…Anyway, I fought the airbox mod tooth and nail. If these bikes can run nearly 200 mph through that little square hole with a flapper valve in the way, who am I to change things? The bike only breathes through one cylinder at a time, right? This should be plenty. :bah: But, after numerous dyno pulls and trips to the track and ONLY in conjunction with the dynojet Power Commander II (which I personally wasn’t convinced did anything but slow me down at the track, until I used one in conjunction with a Dynojet model 250 and A/F sniffer!), the airbox mod I detail in my pipe literature works well. The around-town drivability doesn’t suffer, thanks to the PC-II and the max power output is definitely increased. The StreetSmart TM exhaust is over-sized to allow the ram air and box mod work to function at maximum potential. Of course, any hopes of passing an emissions test are thrown out the window with the removal of the stock system.[/size]

These are motorcycles that were bred for racing and simply removing the small area of your air-box and replacing the stock filter with a better breathing device will not hurt your ability to pass or not pass an emissions test; nor, will it effect your "streetability".

In some of the article I read on his web page, he says that the TRE is for the 2000 and the 2001, we all know that the 2000 Hayabusa was NOT restricted, so, this was erroneous information, that year bike had no need for the TRE and this information begs to be re-written.

My advise is to go small airbox removal and the "BMC RACE" filter. Make sure it IS the "race" and not the basic BMC model when ordering. No amount of oil bath will ever change the huge amounts of increased air you will receive. It has never bothered my bike, not once.

You won't "need countless hours on the dyno" to get your bike right. Don't be afraid of these simply mods, they will only make your bike run more spirited, not lethargic. And, that's why you bought it right? For the horsepower and the thrill?!
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:28:41 PM »
You are right,I said K&N, The bmc RACE is fine, I was also saying there is nothing wrong with a stock air filter, :thumb: I have rode a bike with a Bmc Race, and one with a stock filter. could not tell a diff in either one.
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:13:15 PM »
There were charts on here many years ago showing that the BMC 'Race' flowed far better air than any other filter available.

I am sure you can't tell the difference from where you sit.

The order from worst to best was; OEM paper, K&N, BMC, then BMC Race.

The proof was provided by some of the best here early on, Egg, Busa@11K, Themotorhead, Gixx1300R,, I don't know. Dig for it, you may just find it. I am sure I commented in one or two of those thread way back when, but I was banned a few years ago for other reasons so you won't be able to search on my name.
-Chris

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:58:29 PM »
I understand,numbers are numbers, But how much are you picking up at the track? They are all great filters, I had my bike built by Brock/quantum motosports.I asked What should I use for a filter, they said at the track no filter,On the street stock is fine. But if I had to choose I say bmc race.
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
-Chris

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 09:26:33 PM »
Boogymank5
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:12 AM »
Boogymank5

Ah ha,, you're slippery!  :lol:
-Chris

Offline SlipFit02

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 12:37:47 PM »
We are just having fun, Im new to this site just trying to meet some cool people,and we... I did. I do alot of reserch,but you are right Brock's site needs updating. Talk to you soon :thumb:
Quantum Motorsports
02 Busa' "PANIC ATTACK
Outlawfabshop.com
Port-tech

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
We are just having fun, Im new to this site just trying to meet some cool people,and we... I did. I do alot of reserch,but you are right Brock's site needs updating. Talk to you soon :thumb:
  :wink: No problem. Life is too short to not have fun!  :thumb:
-Chris

Offline busa20

• Rider
  • us guys racing
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
thanks for the info everyone :thumb:
kawkiller

Offline ssgunny

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 09:53:22 AM »
I just performed the small mod and lopped off the flanges/foam also.  Much better fit with the frame with the new sleaves in place.  Good luck with your modding.

Offline LeasingGuy

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 10:26:52 AM »
I just performed the small mod and lopped off the flanges/foam also.  Much better fit with the frame with the new sleaves in place.  Good luck with your modding.

got any pics?
TAG Motorsports
NHRA #317
AMA D-18 MX #775