Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: How is everyone's bikes coming along for the Texas Mile??(preparation)  (Read 29475 times)

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
I know everyone is burning the midnight oil getting em ready, anyone seriously lagging behind?  Still have stuff to buy and install?

I dropped mine off at the suspension shop last weekend, they are telling me it won't be ready until the weekend before the Mile, that leaves me the rest of that weekend to do the gearing swaps, safety wire, go everything one last time and wax/polish it  8)....
I have been working on the tuning, boost controller, air shifter, suspension etc for the last two months getting it ready.  The shop called me and said they can't get the lower triple tree pinch bolts loose so they are gonna have to pull the hole front end off by seperating the trees, then cut the bolts off and replace em, this is just to do the forks.... :grn:  Either way the steering head needed to be greased and adjusted so....now the whole front end will be fresh for the mile, I just hope they get it done in time... :bah:

Where are the rest of you sitting at on the projects?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 07:37:02 AM by ZX-ALAN »
2000 turbo-busa, RCC Stg 2 intercooled, 319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@28lbs
Texas Mile March 09, 225.906 mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14lbs

2013 BMW S1000rr, Brocks CT exh, 185hp

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
Ouch, I hope they do not leave ya hanging.

To make a long story short, I have had a string of bad luck and will be running the old 12. Had some bad juju with the 12 as well, head got banged up in shipping. I had to drill/massage cam sensor hole back to the right shape. I also broke a cam tower bolt in the head, but Ryan, Mile Tech guy pulled the other half out of the head for me, after I despaired.

I am two valve shims away from slapping that motor back in the frame. I hope to have them this evening. Then degree the cams. Clean up stuff on the bike, might be ready the weekend before the Mile as well. lol

Gary

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
We are working every night, so far no panic,after all its 2 1/2 weeks away. :bah: Just about finished up the motor last night. Hope to have it running Sunday. Do some break in runs next week and then to JC the 21st for tuning.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
dang it Alan, seems like everything is a battle for you!

Me, just new brakes and make sure airshifter, data logging, all that lil shit, is working OK.
Gonna run a sidewinder this time, and that takes a lil jiggery-pokery, no big deal

Motor had a good (4-2-2-4%) leakdown after the last trip to Andy's dyno a couple weeks ago, so i ain't touching it.
Feels weird to NOT have the motor on the bench with 2 whole weeks to go before the Mile.

Gary,
I talked to JC this morning and he may have yr shims tonight.  :thumb:

Karl
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
Feels weird to NOT have the motor on the bench with 2 whole weeks to go before the Mile.

:lol:

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
dang it Alan, seems like everything is a battle for you!

Me, just new brakes and make sure airshifter, data logging, all that lil shit, is working OK.
Gonna run a sidewinder this time, and that takes a lil jiggery-pokery, no big deal

Motor had a good (4-2-2-4%) leakdown after the last trip to Andy's dyno a couple weeks ago, so i ain't touching it.

Gary,
I talked to JC this morning and he may have yr shims tonight.  :thumb:

Karl

Yeah no shit Karl.....I dropped it off for a simple fork rebuild with Racetech guts and we end up pulling the whole damn thing apart.....BUT thats just how my luck runs.... :x

Good to hear your green bomber survived another thrashing at Andy's....I am sure you will have it tuned to kill for the mile... That sidewinder is gonna sound good WOT for a mile....If you don't already have hearing aids, you soon will..... :hys: :wink:
BTW I got a pop up tent I am bringing also to add some real estate onto TFA's palacious digs....

Gary, good luck on getting the 12 ready to go...just bring you a tanker full of dope for it and bottle feed that bitch to 200+mph....

Anyone else?  Ryan you get your motor back in and running?  What about J-Cheese, did he ever get his mystery throttle problem figured out?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:44:12 PM by ZX-ALAN »

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
Yep, Ryan is up and running and is looking good with his new cut tank.

JC's bike was on the lift last night. New fuel pump is all mocked up, he even found a spring to put in the waste gate.

I went through all his shims last night just needed one 210 and one 215. I even went scavenging through old Busa and 12 heads, no luck............ But JC has a buddy or two at a couple of dealer ships that might be able to hook me up.

Yeah, Karl's bike is going to sound Strong with that SideWinder going 200mph+!!!!!

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
Yea like Gary said I'm all good with the motor and good JC tune.  I now need clutch springs and a slave support and new rubber for the rear.  I'll get it all buttoned up next weekend.

Ryan
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore

I went through all his shims last night just needed one 210 and one 215. I even went scavenging through old Busa and 12 heads, no luck............ But JC has a buddy or two at a couple of dealer ships that might be able to hook me up.

i just betcha that the Honda dealer is gonna solve your shim needs...  just a guess...

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Yea like Gary said I'm all good with the motor and good JC tune.  I now need clutch springs and a slave support and new rubber for the rear.  I'll get it all buttoned up next weekend.

Ryan

I am debating the new rear tire thing myself.....Mine only has about 1200 miles on it but its about 1/8" away from hitting the wear bars....I am hoping it will just survive the Mile, then I'll put a new one on it to street ride with...I really don't have an extra $200 to throw at a tire right now, my suspension R&R is gonna cost me $700+, AND my laptop just crapped out so I had to buy a new one so I could tune the bike and datalog at the Mile, that was $700....  I am a poor, poor b*tch right now...  Still gotta buy $120 worth of C16 for the weekend and pay room and board. Shit ain't cheap thats for sure.

Offline beckertb

• Rider
Re: How is everyone's bikes coming along for the Texas Mile??(preparation)
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 04:22:46 PM »
Talked To Mike at the shop today.....motor going back together, swingarm coming back, retune, chassis manipulation, etc.

yeah, we're in good shapre  :thumb:

ben
Texas mile 2009 252.806
Third Coast Speed

Offline 106mm

• Post Whore
  • 2007 Turbo Hayabusa
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 04:29:59 PM »
Still need a rear tire, clutch springs and Schnitz tuning.
2007 Turbo Hayabusa
442 hp
Texas Mile 200 mph club

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:25 PM »
I've been waiting for 2-weeks for parts with nothing but time.  Now that the parts have arrived I'm busier than crap with WORK... :mad:

As of tonight...

Hopefully I can get her all done by Friday morning so I can get Johnny Cheese to dyno tune her this weekend...  :D :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:15:52 PM by Got-Busa? »
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
Talked To Mike at the shop today.....motor going back together, swingarm coming back, retune, chassis manipulation, etc.

yeah, we're in good shapre  :thumb:

ben

COOL....glad you're gonna be there again....Hopefully the wind won't be too bad.... :bah:

Offline speedninja

• Post Whore
  • If you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 10:23:08 PM »
Mine is running. Gonna dyno this weekend or early next week. Finishing up plumbing the fogger and fuel system.

Offline Texanzone

• Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
Got my junk running and it will see Johnny before the mileso all is good.Allen I will have my lape top there if that will be of any help.I am set up for power commander & lm1.Have to get fuel and do a little to the trailer. :D

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 06:56:04 AM »
Well I talked to the suspension shop last night and they are doing pretty well, got the lower tree and forks out, got the bad bolt out of the tree, broke the forks down and are in the process of making the travel limiting spacers.  They are going to kill more travel then I hoped they were going to, not sure why but they took 48mm of travel out at the fully compressed point, thats about 2"....that means I only have half of my normal travel but......at least the tire won't the intercooler.  They repacked the bearings in the steering head and adjusted it....They are saying it "might" be done by THIS coming weekend, if so, that will get me in a much better spot to get everything else done... :thumb:

Hopefully.....

Damn, everyone is dynoing this weekend, MarkD, Speedninja and Texanzone all dynoing at the same time, all local here.....good luck everyone... :thumb:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:02:21 AM by ZX-ALAN »

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 07:18:15 AM »
Alan,
good news, eh?  They are making progress!

Forgive my ignorance, but how does cutting the forks give MORE clearance for the intercooler??

Offline ZX-ALAN

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:11 AM »
Alan,

Forgive my ignorance, but how does cutting the forks give MORE clearance for the intercooler??

Karl, they aren't cutting the forks or actually even lowering the forks internally, basically, they made some travel limiting spacers that fit between the cup and the spring, the spring will ride in its normal position and be fully extended like a stock fork, but when the fork compresses, its going to stop 48 mm early...the fork is just going to bottom out sooner.  Definetly not the best for riding twisties or jumping chug holes but this gives me full clearance when riding at normal speeds for the IC and when jumping on the brakes hard, the forks will bottom out before the tire hits the IC, thats IF the Racetech springs and gold valves can't support the nose dive on their own...

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »
Alan,

Karl, they aren't cutting the forks or actually even lowering the forks internally, basically, they made some travel limiting spacers that fit between the cup and the spring, the spring will ride in its normal position and be fully extended like a stock fork, but when the fork compresses, its going to stop 48 mm early...the fork is just going to bottom out sooner.  Definetly not the best for riding twisties or jumping chug holes but this gives me full clearance when riding at normal speeds for the IC and when jumping on the brakes hard, the forks will bottom out before the tire hits the IC, thats IF the Racetech springs and gold valves can't support the nose dive on their own...

OK. i gotcha.  Limit travel, but same overall length

Offline TRNorBRN6001

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 07:54:09 AM »
Thank you much Karl, your idea worked like a charm. Chop brought some Honda shims over. The motor is shimmied and degreed. I have baseball stuff to do tonight with the kids, then Friday evening I'll start putting all the misc. motor pieces and covers on. Maybe slip the motor in early next week.

Gary

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
Thank you much Karl, your idea worked like a charm. Chop brought some Honda shims over. The motor is shimmied and degreed. I have baseball stuff to do tonight with the kids, then Friday evening I'll start putting all the misc. motor pieces and covers on. Maybe slip the motor in early next week.

Gary

SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 01:14:41 PM »
We got the chassis rolling yesterday, and the motor stabbed last night. Hope to have it running and make some breakin runs this weekend.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline 106mm

• Post Whore
  • 2007 Turbo Hayabusa
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
I'm starting to feel a bit more confident (famous last words). lol
2007 Turbo Hayabusa
442 hp
Texas Mile 200 mph club