Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Insurance Question  (Read 14146 times)

Offline Daves Busa

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • 2002 Busa, 2007Busa
Insurance Question
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
I have 2 Hayabusa's, a 2002 and a 2007. I plan to sell the 2002 so only have Pl & PD on it but have full coverage ob the 2007 which only has 3,500 miles on it and is in showroom condition. Last week my 2007 fell of the side stand in my driveway and hit the cement hard. After inspecting it I found only scratches but fairly deep on the side panel and rear frame cover. I called Geico to ask questions about a claim thinking it would be comp. They told me it would be considered an accident even though there was not a person on it when it fell and wanted a police report. Does this sound right to you folks? I think they are screwing me over!

Offline apbtlvr

• Rider
Re: Insurance Question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 02:14:53 AM »
It sounds right to me.

Offline B Plas

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
  • Why not just tell it the way it is?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
Yip, regular claim.  Probably not even worth claiming, depending on your deductable.  If you asked thme the question, they may have already put a note in your file.

Good Luck!
"A man's gotta know his limitations"

Offline 071300r

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »
They are wrong. I had a accident in september 2007, hit sand in a turn here in Florida (go figure) brought it to a shop and I have 1000 deductable. Well the outcome I never filed a police report it also never went against me my bike was totally fixed all plastic and exhaust 5 grand worth of insurance money. It will go down as a collision but as a no fault. that was the way it went in 2007 unless something has changed.

Offline apbtlvr

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »
071300r any claim you file goes in your record and is counted against you for rates etc. It was nice of the company to process your accident claim without a police report. Your situation is different than the original post which was not a moving accident. The bike fell over in his driveway. That was treated as an accident and not comp.

Offline B Plas

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »
They are wrong. I had a accident in september 2007, hit sand in a turn here in Florida (go figure) brought it to a shop and I have 1000 deductable. Well the outcome I never filed a police report it also never went against me my bike was totally fixed all plastic and exhaust 5 grand worth of insurance money. It will go down as a collision but as a no fault. that was the way it went in 2007 unless something has changed.
Yep, you are very fortunate to have had that "victory" w/o a police report.  Yours could have been an AT FAULT accident seeing that people are expected to be able to negotiate sand in the street as opposed to say black ice that is pretty much undetectable until you hit it (generally speaking).  In Dave's case, I could understand how that would be considered a no fault accident (I don't think there is another classification for it).

Offline Daves Busa

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • 2002 Busa, 2007Busa
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »
Update: I have a friend with a body shop and told him what happened. He said he did not know if it is right or wrong but suggested I ask the Calif. Insurance Commissioner so I sent them an email with what happened and they replied telling me I should file a complaint so they can investigate further so I did. I already fixed the bike myself and had the plastics repaired and repainted which turned out very good. They are still investigating but Gecko sent a letter telling me even If I paid out of pocket they can still raise my rates from me just asking about a claim. I have had 2 motorcycles insured with them for 5 years with no claims and they treat me like shit. I will be ditching Gecko very soon.

Offline apbtlvr

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 07:06:10 PM »
...and that my friend is why I carry liability ins only on my busa. Ins will raise your rates for anything close to a claim. My experience has been that they value japanese bikes so low that they will total them with the least little accident. We were taught that on any vehicle...when the cost of full coverage ins for a year is 10% of what the vehicle is worth that it makes little sense to carry full coverage for the return you will get vs the expense.

FLAME SUIT ON!!!

Offline B Plas

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 01:10:09 PM »
Yip, regular claim.  Probably not even worth claiming, depending on your deductable.  If you asked thme the question, they may have already put a note in your file.

Good Luck!

As previously stated; they are some sneaky bastards!!

Offline 071300r

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:27 AM »
Wow geico is great for me, I went down and caused almost 5 grand of damage to my bike.  All plastic and exhaust and turn signals, with the shop labor it was. I put the claim in with no police report and this was in september 2007 got paid fixed the bike and my insurance was 998.00 a year and when I renewed in aug, 2008 it went down to 781. this is for the year guy's. I have 1000 deductable's

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 08:20:08 AM »
...and that my friend is why I carry liability ins only on my busa. Ins will raise your rates for anything close to a claim. My experience has been that they value japanese bikes so low that they will total them with the least little accident. We were taught that on any vehicle...when the cost of full coverage ins for a year is 10% of what the vehicle is worth that it makes little sense to carry full coverage for the return you will get vs the expense.

FLAME SUIT ON!!!

Liability is all i've had on my '03 Busa(and Jeep)for the last 6 years,think last year i pd. $75(for 12 mos.)for the Busa,but the bastards still hit me almost $700 per year on the Jeep and that's with no accidents and only one ticket in 20 years(and i'm an old bastard at 55).Have around $38,000 in the bike and even with full coverage probably wouldn't recover shit unless i paid out the ass for some kind of custom policy.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
I have 2 Hayabusa's, a 2002 and a 2007. I plan to sell the 2002 so only have Pl & PD on it but have full coverage ob the 2007 which only has 3,500 miles on it and is in showroom condition. Last week my 2007 fell of the side stand in my driveway and hit the cement hard. After inspecting it I found only scratches but fairly deep on the side panel and rear frame cover. I called Geico to ask questions about a claim thinking it would be comp. They told me it would be considered an accident even though there was not a person on it when it fell and wanted a police report. Does this sound right to you folks? I think they are screwing me over!
They are definatly screwing you over, Geico and Progresive are the worst, sneaky sombitches :x
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline 1BADGSXR

• Rider
  • Show Time
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:54 PM »
I had the same case with progressive in 03 had a r1 custom painted fell over has I was putting on my new plastic that just came back from paint. I called my ins they said no I wouldn't go on my record BS got a 06 gsxr new in 06 and it showed I had a accident on my record. I asked them about it and the only thing that came up was that claim I made for the R1. I was upset and had liability since then I'm already paying for my own repairs why give the ins company free money.