Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: ECU FLASHING SERVICE FOR GEN 2 BUSA  (Read 17762 times)

Online busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
ECU FLASHING SERVICE FOR GEN 2 BUSA
« on: April 11, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
RR over at ecu hack is now offering flashing service for the Gen2 busa...

For more information or questions about our products & services, please contact us at the following address.

Phone: (360) 452 4523
Fax: (360) 452 4523
Email: info@bikeland.info
Support: support@bikeland.info
Website: http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=99460

Marlin Bially Design.
821 S. Race St
Port Angeles, WA, 98362
USA

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
Re: ECU FLASHING SERVICE FOR GEN 2 BUSA
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:11:30 PM »
we tested at a race in   and it worked as planned........ :vl:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:09:08 PM by Stocker64 »
09 BUSA, PROBLEMCHILD II.... tuned with the factory ecu by ME!! thanks PETRIK, ridgeracer,and SMITHBUSA. ...  "FAMILY FIRST"...

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:59:47 AM »
we tested at the last ama race in commerce and it worked as planned........ :vl:

:thumb:
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Draco1340

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:58 AM »
Great news.
Are you offering / selling the tool and software to do this ourselves like the GenI, or is this a mail away deal for extender limiter only.  Not clear?
I know I can do this.  I saw it done in a cartoon once.

Offline VegasDude

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
Didn't find much info at the website. Do you mail them the ECU and the 08 ECU as easy to remove as the GEN I's? Thanks.
2008 Busa
2007 Ducati 999S
2006 BMW K1200S

Online busa2001

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
Didn't find much info at the website. Do you mail them the ECU and the 08 ECU as easy to remove as the GEN I's? Thanks.
just send an email to RR (Marlin Bially) from the link above and he will answer any questions you have...

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:36:49 AM »

It would be good if he popped in and explained to all us potential customers collectively whats involved, pro's ,cons, cost, the technicals of the process ? I'm sure there would be alot of interested customers on here, he could tell the story once then, instead of hundreds of separate inquiries. 
If God wanted us to be vegetarians, he would of made cows out of wood !!

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »

It would be good if he popped in and explained to all us potential customers collectively whats involved, pro's ,cons, cost, the technicals of the process ? I'm sure there would be alot of interested customers on here, he could tell the story once then, instead of hundreds of separate inquiries. 

I can reply on behalf of Marlin that we are talking about raising the rpm limiters and removing the top speed limiter here. Without going in to details as a process its very simple: the software from ecu is downloaded to a computer (if needed), new limiters are written on it and then the reprogrammed code is flashed back to ecu.  There is a couple of dozen various limiter values that are changed in the process, other than that the ecu remains as it is.

The pros on this e.g. are:
- no add on boxes to bike causing electricity faults
- the gear display continues to work
- any rpr limiter can be set (within reasonable limits)
- possibility to choose not to use soft limiters (particularly for turbos and nitrous)
- possiblity to choose if ign or fuel or both should be used

Anyway basically you just say: "set my limiter to 12000 hard limit only and remove my top speed limiter" and thats what most of us want.

For me (who is biased) its difficult to find any cons in this process, exept a possiblity for an operator error when programming - but that will be unlikely.

Some day this will be avail for a wider audience as a diy after gettings some hardware and software, but in the meanwhile Marlin is your best contact for this service as Marlin is the first person ever who has flashed a gen2 ecu.

Here is what numbers will be changed (amongst some other things).

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »
 :thumb:
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 10:51:48 AM »

I can reply on behalf of Marlin that we are talking about raising the rpm limiters and removing the top speed limiter here. Without going in to details as a process its very simple: the software from ecu is downloaded to a computer (if needed), new limiters are written on it and then the reprogrammed code is flashed back to ecu.  There is a couple of dozen various limiter values that are changed in the process, other than that the ecu remains as it is.

The pros on this e.g. are:
- no add on boxes to bike causing electricity faults
- the gear display continues to work
- any rpr limiter can be set (within reasonable limits)
- possibility to choose not to use soft limiters (particularly for turbos and nitrous)
- possiblity to choose if ign or fuel or both should be used

Anyway basically you just say: "set my limiter to 12000 hard limit only and remove my top speed limiter" and thats what most of us want.

For me (who is biased) its difficult to find any cons in this process, exept a possiblity for an operator error when programming - but that will be unlikely.

Some day this will be avail for a wider audience as a diy after gettings some hardware and software, but in the meanwhile Marlin is your best contact for this service as Marlin is the first person ever who has flashed a gen2 ecu.

Here is what numbers will be changed (amongst some other things).

we were the ones that tested a 08 flashed ecu with raised rev limiter at a race,the bike performed perfectly and pulled to the specified rev limit that i asked rr to set it to. :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:10:27 PM by Stocker64 »
09 BUSA, PROBLEMCHILD II.... tuned with the factory ecu by ME!! thanks PETRIK, ridgeracer,and SMITHBUSA. ...  "FAMILY FIRST"...

Offline BusaWizard

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 04:23:21 AM »
Hopefully it won't be long before it's ready. :thumb:
If you're not living close to the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Offline speetdemon

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 06:13:47 AM »
Will this mod derestrict throttle input in the first 4 gears as what the TRE trying to do in addition to the 6th gear limiter?

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
Will this mod derestrict throttle input in the first 4 gears as what the TRE trying to do in addition to the 6th gear limiter?

Please read what I wrote below article and disregard all previous street legends about what TRE is and what is is not:

http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=138364.msg1317244#msg1317244

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »

Just a coupla more questions for ya' Petrik !
1 > If you reflash the ECU, is it still gunna recognise the security chip in the ignition key ? that wouldn't have been an issue for the Gen 1.
2 > And when it needs a tune, I just take it to my local machanic and he'll just tweek it the way he would as if it were a PowerCommander ? Or I'd just re download a map ?
 Thanx ~ Joe

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 06:12:41 AM »
Just a coupla more questions for ya' Petrik !
1 > If you reflash the ECU, is it still gunna recognise the security chip in the ignition key ? that wouldn't have been an issue for the Gen 1.
2 > And when it needs a tune, I just take it to my local machanic and he'll just tweek it the way he would as if it were a PowerCommander ? Or I'd just re download a map ?
 Thanx ~ Joe

Reflashing does not affect ingition lock (security) at all, the settings of that remain the same.

For tuning, please contact smithabusa for places where the bikes can be tuned. he or any of the tuners can talk you through what it means.

Please also ask pay particular attention to the IAP (vacuum map) when the bike is tuned and transition from IAP to TPS map. That will have the biggest effect on driveability of the bike that can not be reached by any piggyback system.

Offline FloydV

• Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

Yes it would help. I have gen 1 bike, but I'm sure he offers flashing for both. Since it is beyond my ability to tune a bike, how would a mechanic use his product?
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion.

Albert Einstein, 1921

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2009, 12:10:46 PM »
If you have a gen 1 I have you covered (02-07) www.boostbysmith.com/ecu.html

Greg
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline 1Quikshifter

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2009, 02:19:07 PM »

I do have a problem with the smooth transition from the IAP to TPS map, in highway mode the power does slightly surge up & down (which I learnt from your earlier post), I never knew what was causing that I thought I was imagining it. Sometimes I spank it & it doesn't respond consistently, so thats probably related.
Thanks for sharing all your insightful knowledge Petrik, I've been learning so much over the last coupla weeks.   

Offline bikefrk

• Post Whore
  • WestSide,Mi
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 08:58:55 PM »
The 2nd Gen has a security chip in the key? I'll be damned....   :?

Offline Got-Busa?

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 12:46:21 AM »
The 2nd Gen has a security chip in the key? I'll be damned....   :?

US spec bikes haven't gotten that feature yet.  Maybe in the future but not now...  :(
CLICK-->  *Got-Busa's "STREET BIKE"-project* <--CLICK
"WILMINGTON MILE" - 212.7 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 1/2 MILE" - 202.566 MPH!
"ARKANSAS 2KM" 232.919 MPH!
THANK YOU SHANE STUBBS @ STPI
"TEXAS MILE" -182.265 MPH stock --204.468 MPH "Brock's Performance" basic mods -- 227.2 MPH "RCC TURBO" low boost/half naked!

Offline soNso

• Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2009, 11:55:16 AM »
Heard about the chip, but didn't know it if was a fact. on my gen 1 i have custom key..

Offline REVIT13

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
question on gen 2 ecu hack.

if one was to have the 12k hard limit in place.

will a pc3usb and ignition module still work with the quikshifter and set the ign kill at 11500-11750?

did stocker64 (test pilot) notice any gains in lower et with the higher rev limit?

over to Petrik and smithbusa

Cheers

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 01:33:49 PM »
About gen2 ET gains you need to as from stocker64.

With my gen1 1397 the extended rpm worked on my favour, as an example got the bike up to 208mph on a standing mile with standard gearing. That was mainly due to cam timing and a good head porting that allowed more power from extended rpm.

Never used pc3 in my bike. Used to have a pc3r, but tossed that away.

The plan is to include the shifter code to gen2 ecu too over time like we have for gen1.

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:37:49 PM »
question on gen 2 ecu hack.

if one was to have the 12k hard limit in place.

will a pc3usb and ignition module still work with the quikshifter and set the ign kill at 11500-11750?

did stocker64 (test pilot) notice any gains in lower et with the higher rev limit?

over to Petrik and smithbusa

Cheers
cannot answer question about pc3,but the bike is a  turbo,and YES this perticular setup gained et and mph,perticually because of more boost,and the bike could be geared a little bit differently due to raised rev limit.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:12:05 PM by Stocker64 »

Offline 2Wheeler

• Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
I would like to know if the the start up can be changed. Many have noticed that their bike when first started takes a few seconds for the fast idle to start on cold starts. My bike does this also, especially when it is cold outside. I sometimes have to start it two or three times before the idle speeds up. Can this be remedied at this time and if not will it be in the future?
The purpose of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.