Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: need help with clutch problem  (Read 2567 times)

Offline Bently1

• Post Master
need help with clutch problem
« on: July 04, 2009, 12:34:13 PM »
This is on my buddys 08 busa, he was cutting killer lights on the the pro tree and running 9.50's to 9.60's on motor then his clutch needed changed and ever since the change he's complained something is not right all he's been doing is wheeling. so I had the chance to ride it last night and there is no slipping the clutch to it it's either on or off, the window of clutch release is really small. he is using the cycle concepts drag pack. any ideas?
2008 Busa

Offline RJB

• Post Master
Re: need help with clutch problem
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »
Use "OEM" and the clutch mod  :thumb:

and be sure to clean out the screen

Offline Bently1

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 01:25:17 PM »
Na, drag pack is usally better  then OEM we will take it apart later something is going on.
2008 Busa

Offline cstraubs1

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
Na, drag pack is usally better  then OEM we will take it apart later something is going on.

I've never used a drag pack,but "BETTER" than Oem?  Could you educate me some... :thumb: Thinking of trying one of them out.

Offline Predator

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »
Have you checked the stack heighth?
Hayabusa, because 14's are just slow!                                           
ZX 14 its whats for dinner!

Offline valley poi

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

I've never used a drag pack,but "BETTER" than Oem?  Could you educate me some... :thumb: Thinking of trying one of them out.

Aloha we use the drag pak from cycle concepts one thing that I did notice about them they seem to last a bit longer than the oem clutch pak . If you make a mistake with your clutch setup they will burn up just like the oem clutch would but you would get few more passes out of the drag pak before they burn up. We can get the drag pak for less than we would pay for a oem clutch here on our island .

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
We changed it out (not mine) and didn't find anyting in particular.  The stack height measured 1.974" and everythink looked ok.  We took out the basket and examined the springs, all was good.  We put parts from two OEM '08 clutches together to make one good one and it seems fine.

When I rode it the feeling was like something slammed in hard when I tried to leave.  If you could imagine a steel getting jammed, carrying the load from the pressure plate, then suddenly letting go, then that's the sensation.  I felt it and I heard it.  I spun on the leave and the track was hooking great.  On the return road I did a moderate leave and it seemed ok.  High rpm's seem to be the problem.  I'd like to be confident that this clutch is going to be ok the next time it goes in.  I've got one just like it new waiting for my next swap.

Offline E-RACER

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
check stack height..grooves in the basket? and make sure the sprocket covers isnt cracked..

Offline $treetRacer

• Restricted
  • Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »
What brand of oil?

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 07:23:36 PM »
What brand of oil?
Mobil 1 auto oil, 5-20.  Same as has always been in the bike.

Offline gnd111

• Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • Fried Chicken and Gasoline...
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 09:50:50 PM »
inner basket is getting grooved?

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »
Nope.  Feels good, and the old clutch setup works fine.

Offline devious1000

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:03:13 PM »
I have this same issue with my 2004 gixxer 1K. My buddy rode it and said that the plates are dry? But its exactly how you described it there is no play, as soon as you let off it, the clutch engages and hard. I'm gonna pull the plates out tonight and soak them just to see if it helps. I have OEM plates with heavy duty springs....let me know what you find out I will also post results once I soak them and put them back. My buddy also mentioned something about a washer that in front of the springs not sure what he was talking about....good luck keep me posted.... :thumb:

Offline DWB

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 09:28:17 PM »
Really haven't found out anything.  The OEM stuff works fine.  I tried calling Cycle concepts every day for a week and never got an answer.  I guess next time someone needs a clutch we'll try it out, making sure the steels slide freely onto the hub.  All I can think is that one of them was hanging up.  We oiled the clutch just the same as the other OEM clutches I've installed.