Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: What's the most nitrous a stock 08 Busa can take?  (Read 27820 times)

Offline Tony B

• Rider
  • 06 GSXR 1000 & 08 Hayabusa
What's the most nitrous a stock 08 Busa can take?
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »
What's the most nitrous I can spray on a Stock 08. I drag race but would like to attempt LSR.

I currently have a Brock's Alien Head, Bazzaz, MPS Spyder Dry Nitrous spray bar and a Progressive Nitrous Controller.

Any recommendations on what else to change would also be helpful. Injectors? Fuel Pump? etc.

Offline bikefrk

• Post Whore
  • WestSide,Mi
Re: What's the most nitrous a stock 08 Busa can take?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
In real life, how loud is that Alien Head?

It is on my short list but I do ride a lot of places where I like to have a semi quiet bike.  :?

Offline portagee

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:32 PM »
very loud. i have the gen 3 shorty on my 08 and my buddy has the alien head, night and day difference in the two and i think same hp,both our bikes have same mph in quarter with me riding at least. only thing i like better is he can take both his rear foot peg brackets off and i have to leave my right on for can mount.
Joe Faria   
PORTAGEE RACING
FIELDS PERFORMANCE
BUMBLE BEE MOTORSPORTS
PCP MOTORSPORTS

Offline soNso

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
What about how much nitrous can a stock 08 take :?:

Offline portagee

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »
around a 40 shot with out much worry. anything more and the weak valve springs start spitting out the keepers...then you get to build a motor that can take much more nitrous :hys:
Joe Faria   
PORTAGEE RACING
FIELDS PERFORMANCE
BUMBLE BEE MOTORSPORTS
PCP MOTORSPORTS

Offline Tony B

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 10:16:16 AM »
Thank You for all the help, a 40 shot was what came with the kit so, I'll just you that until I build the motor.

Offline Draco1340

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »
I've run a small 20 shot on my gen II since last fall, and am running 8.7s on a stock motor setup, no problems.  Its actrually dual 23 jets (typically a 38 shot or so) but I use a pressure regulator to regulate and control the shot down to about a 20 shot.  My power commander is starting to get maxed out on the primary injectors, so I'm not sure how much I could go without switching control over to the secondaries.
I know I can do this.  I saw it done in a cartoon once.

Offline kaw_killa

• Rider
  • my 05 and 08 busa
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »
i use a 40 shot as well..

SPEED KILLS, RIDE A KAWASAKI

Offline flashracer

• Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:13:29 PM »
i use a 40 shot as well..
40 SHOT. ANY MORE WILL MAX OUT MY PCIII USB

Offline Bikeguy

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
What's the most nitrous I can spray on a Stock 08.

I love the question and think the same way.

As an engineer, I was trained that things are built to have a factor of safety.  So, an engine can actually handle 1.2 or 1.3 times (or some other amount) the power going through it.  If it was built to only handle the actual power made, a certain percentage would break with normal use.

To find out what the most is, you'd need to blow one up and back off a notch.  And them if anything hiccups, you'd buy another.

Looks like 40 HP is the "safe" answer.  The real answer of "most" will be more expensive to figure out.  I guarantee that people in this forum will do the research for you, though.
"You entered my house in third gear."- quote from a friend to me, many years ago.

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 12:07:38 AM »

Based on experience of a couple of gen2 nitrous bike please remember that a around 215hp the fuelpump seems to be maxxed out.

Youll detect this limit that bike does not anymore respond to changes on the map particularly at higher rpms. At that point it is not safe anymore as dyno runs are often not as long as real life runs and the fuel pressure in the system tends to drop over the time when maxxing out the fuelpump.

Offline Draco1340

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 04:41:51 AM »
What's the most nitrous I can spray on a Stock 08.

I love the question and think the same way.

As an engineer, I was trained that things are built to have a factor of safety.  So, an engine can actually handle 1.2 or 1.3 times (or some other amount) the power going through it.  If it was built to only handle the actual power made, a certain percentage would break with normal use.

To find out what the most is, you'd need to blow one up and back off a notch.  And them if anything hiccups, you'd buy another.

Looks like 40 HP is the "safe" answer.  The real answer of "most" will be more expensive to figure out.  I guarantee that people in this forum will do the research for you, though.

Its not a question of structural integrity or strength.  Its more a question of constraints, especially for dry shot systems.  As Petrik said, the fuel pump is limited.  Also the primary injectors are limited to (in my experience) about a 30HP increase.  If You run a power commander you need to control the secondary injectors or get another controller.  Also the timing can't be retarded with the PCIII or PCV, so anything over 30 to 40HP is pretty questionable.  Risk of detonation is high.  ANY minor detonation or backfire will spit a shim on the Gen II due to the very light valve springs.  This will usually result in a very expensive dropped valve.

Petrik, how is the hacking of the GenII ECU going.  That would be an enourmous help towards nitrous applications.

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:03:56 AM »
Petrik, how is the hacking of the GenII ECU going.  That would be an enourmous help towards nitrous applications.

Testversion with following capabilities is already out:
- Raise RPM limits up to 12500rpm
- Remove top speed limits
- Fuel map tuning (both IAP and TPS maps)
- MS (e.g. nitrous) fuel map tuning (TPS maps)
- Ignition map tuning
- MS ignition map tuning
- Engine data and map tracing (still some bugs, but works fairly well)
- Quick shifter for fuel and ignitioncut with RPM range adjustable kill times
- Compulsary map sharing is removed
- Interchangeable maps between EU and US with selecting the map type in ecueditor software
- fast flashing method for dynoing to speed up the flashing times
We need some more time with testing before putting it out to replace earlier version

Offline Draco1340

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 08:11:11 AM »
Petrik!  Sign me up brother?
(when its available)

This really is the only good way to run nitrous on the GenII.

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:31:04 AM »
Petrik!  Sign me up brother?
(when its available)

This really is the only good way to run nitrous on the GenII.

If you can find the latest status, some instructions and download links etc from the link below then please help yourself. At this stage no support for this yet.

http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=99460&p=3&topicID=25867450&page=2&sort=oldestFirst

Offline Tony B

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
Would you recommend upgrading the fuel system and if so, any recommendations on what to change?

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 07:12:52 PM »
Would you recommend upgrading the fuel system and if so, any recommendations on what to change?

I would say the single most effective method of increasing fuel system capacity is to instll a larger pump and bump up the fuel pressure. I am not very familiar with the gen2 bikes, but PetriK may be able to tell you if the Bosch pump for Audi's will drop into a gen2. Keep in mind that this will require re-tuning the bike throughout it's rev range.

John
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:44 AM »
I know this is a old post, but could not find one any newer.

How much hp can a stock engine take with a wet kit and a two dial controller?

Offline 6002abusa

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 09:33:50 AM »
I just spit a shim on my first trip out with a well tuned 36 shot. It was on a .3 sec. ramp with 80% in first gear. Not sure at what point in the pass it actually spit it. I heard it ticking when I went to the ticket booth. Lost the exhaust valve shim on the # 3 cylinder. Mechanic says it was a freak thing. The head is getting 65# springs and s/s valves as I type this.

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »
Damn.... That sucks.
eventual plans include putting a 1441 in it, rods, valve springs, and maybee head studs and intake cam.
What am I taking about...  I havn't even bought it yet.  I think about shit too much.   :hys:
Only thing holding me back is I just have so much gsxr 1000 stuff sitting around. rods, pistons, multi stage, quick access cover, sidewinder, supercharger kit, 2 or 3 engines worth of parts, etc....  About all I need is frame, subframe, and front forks and I could put a nice 05-06 gsxr 1000 together. :?

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 05:55:11 AM »
Petrik stated accurately the gen2 pump runs out of flow around 215hp as it flows the same as a gen1 pump.My question is how many supposed 230+hp 1441 gen2,s are running around with stock fuel pumps??.I remember KWS did there $5500 conversion to 1441 for a gen2 in 08 making 235hp and there was no mention of a fuel pump upgrade??What seems fine in 4th gear for a few seconds on a dyno pull is a far cry from 10,000rpm+ in 6th gear in a once and only top end run.I also dont understand why you would need to up the fuel pressure,you,ve got 8 255cc injectors,,thats 400hp flow potential at stock pressure.Finally an interesting test is to check the fuel pumps flow off the nose of the pump at 43psi,then do the test off the spout of the tank at 43psi,the internal filter is massively restrictive and the actual pressure the pump is pushing against to create 43psi at the injector rail is well over 100psi.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
humm...
I like runing my wet kit off of the stock fuel pump instead of putting the extra low presure pump for the wet kit.  have to run much smaller fuel jets with the high presure, but I don't like the mess of haveing two fuel pumps. Sounds like it wouldn't be posible to run a wel setup 1441 and a good sized wet nitrous shot off the stock fuel pump.

Offline 6002abusa

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 12:55:37 PM »
I wish fuel was the only limiting factor.

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 01:29:20 PM »

What other limiting factors do you guys foresee ?

Now when gen2 ecueditor also has the nitrous fuel, solenoid and ignition control - its very important that this message of fuel pump being a limiting factor based on spec and hands on experience should be made more known. Adding dry nitrous has just become so easy that anyone who can plug in the nitrous relay (with harness from greg) to pair connector can now go nitrous .... so fuel pump is most likely being overlooked in the quest for nitrous power.

When saying 215hp, my experience with gen1 is that the fuel pressure starts to drop and is delivering inconcistent afr in dyno and very lean on the track. Of course dynos are different and we could still tune my 230+hp bike, but when changing the pump without adjusting pressure much leaner numbers at top were needed.So that confirmed gen2 starting to fail at top too. This of course is one bike only, so there may be differences amongst bikes.

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »
I got no problem putting a external pump and reg in.  with a external pump and reg how much hp is possible with stock injectors and ecu editor controlling both sets of injectors?
With a 1441 how much dry nitrous could I spray to it?  not concerned with built motor handling it,  but with ecu editor and stock injectors supplying fuel.
definatly is alot quicker and easier to install then a wet kit.  Can you still progresivly control it?  I have a wet kit and a schnitz two dial controller I was going to install.
I need to do some research on the ecu editor.   :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:45:48 PM by badass1000 »