Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Help Clutch /Transmission issues?  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
Help Clutch /Transmission issues?
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:16:58 AM »
I ran my bike Friday about 5 passes and now it's very notchy and hard to find neutral.

Offline jettscott

• Rider
Re: Help Clutch /Transmission issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »
How hard are you launching it?

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:43:52 AM »
About 7K best 60' is 1.46

Offline jettscott

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:17:32 AM »
With anything I've dealt with in the past, I'd say with the symptoms of hard to get into gear, hard to find neutral and being jerky, the clutch play needs adjusting.  Since this is a hyd clutch I'm not sure, but I'd say that the clutch isn't disengaged.  Is it sticky or jerky through all the gears?  Still running the factory slipper system?

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:28:10 AM »
It's definately sticky but while riding it home from the track it changed gears ok but I had problem going into neutral and it was also hard or should I say it felt sticky.

Offline jettscott

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 08:35:52 AM »
Changed gears ok or just like before?  Anytime I've ever had clutch problems, I pulled the cover and inspected all the plates for heat spots, any irregularities, possible swelling of the friction material, etc...  If you're gonna keep launching it hard, check on the Brock's clutch mod.  I understand that it's perfect for the track and takes just a little getting used to on the street.  I've seen high heat do that to a clutch and sometimes it's just a temporary problem, sometimes (after constant use/abuse) it requires a little wrench time.  I've never seen a set of scorched clutches that did anything right, there was always a warning sign.

Again, I haven't had a lot of experience with this slipper system, but essentially, a clutch is a clutch.

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
Changed gears ok or just like before?  Anytime I've ever had clutch problems, I pulled the cover and inspected all the plates for heat spots, any irregularities, possible swelling of the friction material, etc...  If you're gonna keep launching it hard, check on the Brock's clutch mod.  I understand that it's perfect for the track and takes just a little getting used to on the street.  I've seen high heat do that to a clutch and sometimes it's just a temporary problem, sometimes (after constant use/abuse) it requires a little wrench time.  I've never seen a set of scorched clutches that did anything right, there was always a warning sign.

Again, I haven't had a lot of experience with this slipper system, but essentially, a clutch is a clutch.

I have a Brock's clutch mod in it but like you said it could be some scorched steels.

Offline jettscott

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:42:39 AM »
Let it warm up to operating temp, not just sitting, but out riding, put it in 1st or 2nd and with the clutch pulled in, rev it up to however high you feel comfortable with.  If it's trying to grab or even trying to pull a little, you definatly got problems with the clutch not fully disengaging.  That's an easy way to find out.  I realize that today is Sunday and you may not have access to the oil you use or proper gaskets.

Good luck, I'm hoping that it's something simple if anything at all.

If you haven't done it already, you can donwload the K8 manual from somewhere in this section, might wanna check it and see if there's any adjustment... I've never looked into it.

Offline Zmydust

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »
You've warped your clutch steels.  Pull them out , they will have bad hot spots.   You either don't have enough clutch spring pressure or you are too heavy for the gearing you are running.
8.74 @166  9 PSI

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 02:47:39 PM »
Let it warm up to operating temp, not just sitting, but out riding, put it in 1st or 2nd and with the clutch pulled in, rev it up to however high you feel comfortable with.  If it's trying to grab or even trying to pull a little, you definatly got problems with the clutch not fully disengaging.  That's an easy way to find out.  I realize that today is Sunday and you may not have access to the oil you use or proper gaskets.

Good luck, I'm hoping that it's something simple if anything at all.

If you haven't done it already, you can donwload the K8 manual from somewhere in this section, might wanna check it and see if there's any adjustment... I've never looked into it.

It's definately not disengaging fully and I had a couple of steels that were hard to remove so I guess they are warped and sticking.

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
You've warped your clutch steels.  Pull them out , they will have bad hot spots.   You either don't have enough clutch spring pressure or you are too heavy for the gearing you are running.

how do you know what gearing to run for weight?

Offline Zmydust

• Post Master
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 02:55:02 PM »
Trial and error or advice from others.   What's your weight and bike setup?
8.74 @166  9 PSI