Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Shedding weight off a busa???  (Read 22064 times)

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
Shedding weight off a busa???
« on: July 17, 2009, 02:18:19 AM »
I figuered since i'm too dam poor to buy upgrades right now :?.... the best thing for me to do is get rid of unecessary weight off my busa. Some ideas that I have: inner plastics by guage cluster and back to tank, front wheel fender, grab bar on sub frame, fab a new tail light and chunk old one, chunk rear foot peg/ brackets, fab a sheet metal seat,cut down pipes,cut fairings halfway down for weight and clearance, cut some plastic away from seat cowl, and take off left front caliper/rotor. I've already: fabed a sheet metal undertail for weight and clearance, chunked mirriors, and took out that bulky pair valve, umm thats about it. It may be a bunch of small stuff but it all adds up in the end. Any suggestions on anything else, or maybe why I shouldn't do any of the above??? (Without spending money on parts)
02 BUSA            (10.16 @ 140 mph)
03 GSXR 1000  (9.81 @ 143 mph)

Offline HOBO

• Rider
Re: Shedding weight off a busa???
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:15 AM »

It mite not be a good idea to the brake thingy !!  :idea:
Transient sex is best .... she's just happy to have a bed for the nite !!

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »
The  front fender removal is a bad idea, the small amount of gain will be more than made up(lost) in bad aerodynamics.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

It mite not be a good idea to the brake thingy !!  :idea:
Its done all the time on drag bikes, and only time I drive mine on the street is back n forth to the track. I've even seen custom bikes with 1 off, the only prob I might have is were do I get that smaller bolt that hooks the brake lines to the right caliper? Since I might take 1 off it will be too long.

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
The  front fender removal is a bad idea, the small amount of gain will be more than made up(lost) in bad aerodynamics.
Once again its done all the time on drag bikes. It doesn't really help for aerodynamics, it's just there for rocks, hitting the bottom of the fairing, ect. it might help a little on the forks cause it molds around them but that loss is so minute. Besides it gets in the way cause my bike is slammed, and that makes up for the so called aerodynamics loss.

Offline jimmygsxr

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
weights under foot pegs
bar ends
reflectors
tools
05 blue/silver gen3 pc3r air shifter nos lowered 4" over arm RPM lock up

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 01:55:03 PM »
weights under foot pegs
bar ends
reflectors
tools
Ah ha, I like the way u think Jimmy...

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »
For the brake swap use the shorter bolt out of the left caliper for the right caliper!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 01:26:58 AM »
I can take three pounds off of your crankshaft  :lol:

Jay

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »
For the brake swap use the shorter bolt out of the left caliper for the right caliper!
yeah I'm an idiot :lol: I just figuered that out.

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 03:00:23 PM »

Jay
:shock: 3 lbs! That would be good, it would probably rev alot faster. How, the balancer?

Offline Ksana

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 03:36:53 PM »
Once again its done all the time on drag bikes. It doesn't really help for aerodynamics, it's just there for rocks, hitting the bottom of the fairing, ect. it might help a little on the forks cause it molds around them but that loss is so minute. Besides it gets in the way cause my bike is slammed, and that makes up for the so called aerodynamics loss.
Actually it does help on aerodynamics. There have been a few LSR bikes including a 600 GSXR. That got an extra 2-3mph in the mile.
I'll admit I've seen a couple drag bikes w/o them. The weight is minimal on the fairing though & serves a purpose. But hey it's your bike...

Offline SPARKY1397R

• Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 07:38:04 PM »
don't ruin your stock fairings,  i'll sell you a set that's cut already for CHEAP  :thumb:

that way you can return your bike to stock or sell your valuable stockers  8)

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
It's very rarely done on drag bikes, and those would be oil cooled bikes that don't have a radiator right behind the front wheel for debris to pierce.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline Jay

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »

Jay
:shock: 3 lbs! That would be good, it would probably rev alot faster. How, the balancer?

Revs very fast and you don't need the balancer assy. That's even more weight. 
http://aperaceparts.com/mailers/crankmail.html

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
don't ruin your stock fairings,  i'll sell you a set that's cut already for CHEAP  :thumb:

that way you can return your bike to stock or sell your valuable stockers  8)
I might b interested..... but I bought the bike from a guy who layed it down pretty bad on the right and a lil bad on the left. so I dont care about the fairings, but in the process of him layin it down he also ground down them so bad it ground away the holes to bolt them down on the side so if I cut them it wont mount anywhere on the side. If I decide to buy them i'll get in touch with you thanks. Just curiouse ....how much?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:22:19 PM by BusaJonezy »

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 05:20:25 PM »
The  front fender removal is a bad idea, the small amount of gain will be more than made up(lost) in bad aerodynamics.
Actually it does help on aerodynamics. There have been a few LSR bikes including a 600 GSXR. That got an extra 2-3mph in the mile.
I'll admit I've seen a couple drag bikes w/o them. The weight is minimal on the fairing though & serves a purpose. But hey it's your bike...

I'm running the 1/4 mile drag, not worried about top speed... so for 9 sec im not worried about it, but I see everyones point on it dont get me wrong. And as for my radiator I've been running without that mesh sheild thats in front of it for quit some time now, that would help protect the radiator more.....right? And I do see it all the time, can only lower ur bike so much before it gets in ur way anyways.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:24:09 PM by BusaJonezy »

Offline BUSA750

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I can take three pounds off of your crankshaft  :lol:

Jay

how much does that coast 225.00 right
also may need to buy a 1397 cp piston and block
if i dont have a core how much more is it
pm me
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 05:58:03 PM by BUSA750 »

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 06:12:53 PM »
How about a diet  :idea: :hys:
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:03:22 PM »
Ummm u talkin to me???? Cuz if u r then im 5' 6" and I weigh 138 lbs.... so yeah try another idea......... 8)

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »

Jay

Revs very fast and you don't need the balancer assy. That's even more weight. 
http://aperaceparts.com/mailers/crankmail.html

I just might be interested..... it'll prob b a lil bit till i get to it though..... the marine corp has me traveling around more than I would like right now so I dont really have the time.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 08:38:36 PM »
:D :arrow: CUT EIGHT POUNDS, NOOB!
Noob?? What is this xbox live? :lol:, and sry the marine corp wont let me get too skinny. They consider it anorexic, and I want to be able to man handle the bike im riding not the other way around...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 08:40:12 PM by BusaJonezy »

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 09:16:25 PM »
The idea is to flow with the bike not manhandle it around! its like drilling a hole...you let the drill do the work!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 09:36:04 PM »
Noob?? What is this xbox live? :lol:, and sry the marine corp wont let me get too skinny. They consider it anorexic, and I want to be able to man handle the bike im riding not the other way around...

He's saying buy his subframe and you will cut 8 lbs. Click the link.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
Ummm u talkin to me???? Cuz if u r then im 5' 6" and I weigh 138 lbs.... so yeah try another idea......... 8)
Well.... it was worth a try. :wink: :lol:

If I gain weight(which i need to lose) i just put in bigger NOS jets. :idea: :lol:
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 10:46:46 PM »
How about a diet  :idea: :hys:

If I gain weight(which i need to lose) i just put in bigger NOS jets. :idea: :lol:
:lol: Now theres an idea..... soon hopefully. The plan is to spray the 1000 and turbo the busa....now I just need to win the lotto :hys:

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 10:51:10 PM »
Yeah ive seen this thread the other day, but I didn't relize it was eight lbs :shock:..... too much rollin in at once as far as the wieght issue, once again i'll consider it when the time is right. Maybe i'll just sell a bike and use that money for the other :idea:

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 10:54:53 PM »
The idea is to flow with the bike not manhandle it around! its like drilling a hole...you let the drill do the work!
I know i was refering to the bike not rollin :D. Busa= 530lbs roughly, Me= 138.... it takes a bit to handle I.E. pushin up the driveway, doin the burnout before launch, ect.

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 11:00:23 PM »
Im not saying im a weakling but i would much rather ride my bike up my driveway haha considering its a quarter mile up hill haha...as for the burnout...stand up on the pegs and lean up over the bars and grab a hand full of break and clutch it and your set!

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 01:16:45 AM »

:wink:  :thumb: Cheap shot, I know, but every 100 pounds is worth a tenth of a second.

What is xbox?  :lol:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »

:wink:  :thumb: Cheap shot, I know, but every 100 pounds is worth a tenth of a second.

What is xbox?  :lol:
I know that the weight rule applies to cars but I thought that it would b a more severe change on a bike since the power to weight ratio is alot better, but either way it wouldnt hurt to put that fat ass bike on a diet anyways :lol:, Xbox....the video game system.... IDK I thought everyone knew what that was sry. Everyone says noob on there so thats y I thought it was funny.

Offline BUSA750

• Rider
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »
loss cooling system,kickstand,rearbrake,stator need battery charger
 :thumb:

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:51 PM »
loss cooling system,kickstand,rearbrake,stator need battery charger
 :thumb:
Great ideas, thanks...... a friend of mine took out his stator,but now runs 2 batteries were his headlight used to b. Now remember I still have to ride back n forth to the track. I'm in the process of getting either a truck or a trailer..... then its game on :twisted:

Offline BusaJonezy

• Rider
  • Batman's Ride
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
Im not saying im a weakling but i would much rather ride my bike up my driveway haha considering its a quarter mile up hill haha...as for the burnout...stand up on the pegs and lean up over the bars and grab a hand full of break and clutch it and your set!
:lol: thats a pretty long drive way, I just push sometimes cause its late at night when i bring it back up and dont wanna wake the neighbors, as for the burn out... I dont really have a problem anymore since it's lowered, and I can do it that way but I like to lean it a bit on each side to get them warmed up a lil also :thumb:

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
My 2006 Busa still has the stock exhaust intact and it is currently 30lbs lighter than stock. The weight loss includes weight that has been added. So actual weight loss is 34lbs.

Offline ericsbusa

• Apprentice Post Whore
  • SAY GO
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »

Weights under front foot pegs

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 10:17:01 AM »
Bike is currently 52lbs lighter these days

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 05:18:52 PM »
i got my dads busa down to 443lbs as a fully dressed streetbike with about 2 gallons of fuel.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far

Offline Busashot

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 06:29:14 PM »
Nevermind
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:33:31 PM by Busashot »

Offline glenn71

• Post Master
  • Gen 1 stock length allmotor tragic
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 06:42:42 PM »
a stock gen1 2004 with a full tank weighs
254kg./561lbs.ive got a photo of the same scales
at the drags reading 200.5kg with approx 2 gallons of
fuel.it did have a mickey thompson mcr2 on the rear.
the stock rear wheel with a 200 tyre weighs
16.5kg,the dymag with alloy sprocket,ductile iron rotor
and mickey weighs just on 10kg.the front wheel and ceramic rotors
is approx 4.4kg lighter,thats nearly 11kg total off the
rotating mass,that is an absolutely massive change
in how the bike responds,trust me.a guy on a track
busa has got his down to 195kg,or 432lbs.its possible.the reality
of the drags was i had the stock front wheel and rotors with about
4 gallons of fuel in it to keep it down,but on the road keeping it
light makes it effortless to ride.
Gen1 the original and the best
8.76@165.42mph so far