Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: $1500 Busa, money well spent!  (Read 57309 times)

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
  • Who doesn't love a wet pussy... Cat?
    • LinkedIn
$1500 Busa, money well spent!
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:12:05 PM »
This is where I'm at, so far, with my project Busa.  I just wanted to rebuild this bike using everything I've learned as well as learning as I go.  One of the things I've learned/heard is that a 1429cc isn't something you want to use on the street too often due to cooling issues...  I have yet to experience that! I installed a second '08 Busa fan with aluminum blades on the OEM fan and will be using Water Wetter so we'll see what happens.
  Just Some of the mods:
Da Pincci Air Ride rear shock
Front lowering spools
Polished frame, swingarm and wheel edges
Reprogrammed ECU
High-velocity ported cylinder head
APE adjustable cam sprockets
Custom dash panel
Power Commander
Wego III AFR metering system with data logger
Boz Bros. Moria Exhaust
Hi-performance Cush-drive bushings
Hi-output battery
Mirage paint
 and more.
Before pic. Damage was mainly to the front but it slid on this side.

Another before pic. This modification was done by the accident.

Disassembled, about to tear into it deeper!

I started with the engine. This is a pic of the top end removed. The cylinder block was shipped out to U.S. Chrome in Wisconsin for boring and plating. It's been bored to 1429cc and has MTC 13:1 pistons installed.

I high-velocity ported the head. Here are some pics of the process which involves narrowing the intake tract to increase the speed of the incoming air/fuel charge

During, shaping the JB Weld to the proper dimensions.

The finished product.

Removed the PAIR valve and installed kanji covers

Replaced the hydraulic tensioner with an APE manual tensioner

Pic of the completed engine showing Kanji stator cover

After pic of polished frame

Pic of the forks, finished one on the left.

Pic of forks installed

Lowering Spools used in the front, took some slight modification to get it to work with the custom dash panel.

The dash panel holds the air pressure gauge, ride control switches, USB port for Power Commander-to-PC connection, and emergency kill switch for air compressor. I used the cable supplied with the Power Commander beneath the dash then purchased a USB cable with female/male connectors to connect between the dash and laptop. The gauge is turned so the needle points straight up to show the maximum pressure of the pressure switch (120 psi) so it's easier to tell if it goes over the regulated amount.

I used an air shifter tank as the resevoir for the air ride system. A little something I added. This system will also tie in with the alarm and GPS tracker so I can lift and lower the bike with the alarm arm/disarm and lift and lower the bike as well as remote start it over the internet also.

The air ride compressor is mounted in Tiger Racing's auxilliary battery box in the side of the sub-frame.

Back to the engine; I did the Small airbox mod, removing the flapper valve and actuator.

Since the timing for all cylinders is now unified through the modified ECU I added a scoop to the center stacks so they act like the outter ones.

I sent the ECU off to MPS Racing so they could remove all the factory restrictions, such as the 186mph speed limit and the 1st through 3rd gear timing restriction. They also enabled Big Bore Cranking to allow easier starting for high compression engines and set the base fuel map up for use with 62# injectors.

Here's a pic of my solution for the heat issue! OEM fan has aluminum blades and the fan on the right is from an '08 Busa.

This is what my Busa currently looks like at this moment. Stopped to work on extending a friend's GSXR swingarm and what not. My swingarm is both polished and painted but I didn't want it to get scratched up so I left it wrapped up. You can see one of the 3 angle LED lights mounted on the inner part of the swingarm, there's two pointing down and two on the underside pointing in at the wheel. I painted all three calipers red and detailed the fronts with yellow paint on the raised lettering.

As far as the body goes, it's been painted but needs the clear applied. This is a pic of the fender being prepped. I sealed up unused holes with epoxy resin.

Here I am installing the 3 angle LED lights on each inner side.

here is a pic of the painted fender with the same two-tone method used on the tank

Here is the tank. I used both black and gray primer beneath the paint to give it a subtle two-tone effect.

This is the result.

Still plugging away!!  I have more detailed pics on Facebook under trouble.dwight@gmail.com I'll add more pics here as I go.

Okay! Did alittle work on it the other day. I test fit the nose underpan and mounted the Power Commander to it with the supplied felcro

The cable reaches to the injector harness and can be grounded at the upper radiator mount. Since the programming cable will be connected between the dash and the Power Commander I won't need to access it unless there's a major problem.

Just finished the exhaust system. I painted the muffler inside and out with header paint.

I'll be mounting the exhaust system then installing the radiator, oil cooler, and air horn. Still clear coating the bodywork and when that's done I'll be working on the wheels.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:24:47 PM by trunkbuster »
2003 Katana 7/12: Daily Rider
2006 Busa: "Thing 3", 1430+cc weekend bike
Suzuki GSXR 750 (multiple years): Track bike
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
Re: Profile Pic
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »
Upload yer Pics at PhotoBucket and then Copy & Paste the URL or img Link in the Body of the text.

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline gfast2

• Rider
  • aka gfast
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:42 PM »
Nice job. :thumb:.Keep pics coming!+1 on photobucket.
2006 busa
total redo

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
Thank you very much :lol:
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:36:57 AM »
Okay, I have a few more pics of the fan modification. I used a right side '08 fan mounted at the top of the '04 radiator. The wire connectors are from MPS racing.

To fasten the fan I used a simple electric fan kit I bought from Autozone.

As seen from the front, the fasteners go through the radiator and the lock tabs are attached then ends of fasteners trimmed.

OEM look from the side with plenty of header clearance. You'll need to open up your fuse box and replace the 10 amp fan fuse with a 15 amp.

I replaced the '04 orange lenses with clear '06 ones then I replaced the sockets with a pair of three-wire tail light sockets to make them into marker/signal lights. The tail light socket fits without modification, you just need to run a lead from the license plate or tail light running light wire. The chrome bulb you can get from an auto parts store or Clearalternatives.com. Make sure it's an 1157 type bulb

Suzuki made it easy to do the mod by leaving a wire up front for you to tap into. You'll connect to the brown wire, you won't need the other one.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 09:54:35 AM by trunkbuster »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:14:48 PM »
Apologees ! 1st time I`ve seen this..... excellent ideas and work there  :thumb: 8)
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 06:15:42 PM »
Thanks! You've got a nice ride too! I'm just trying to get mine looking and running right :D Some of the work I've seen others do on this site is amazing :shock: I know mine may not compare to alot of the other builds I've seen, I just hope my own style shows in the finished product.
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
Out with the old! I Used a bridge type bearing puller to extract my old bearings.

I used a tool normally used on Harley steering heads to insert my new bearings.  It draws the bearings together smoothly without damaging the races.

Brake bleeding is easy when the tire isn't in the way, you can do both from one side of the bike. It's even easier when a syringe is used! The syringe pulls the air right out of the caliper with no mess.  Make sure you check and fill the resevoir constantly during the operation!  If you let it get low while you're doing the bleeding you'll pull air back into the system.  Oh, don't forget to remove the lever when you're done!!  If you accidentally bump or squeeze it when the wheel is off you'll have to bleed them again to get the pads apart.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 08:57:11 PM by trunkbuster »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »
Okay, got some more done this weekend!  Finished polishing the front wheel, mounted the fender, then the wheel.  I put the lever back on this morning and the brakes still have good pressure.

Almost done with the backend too! In the pic I uncovered part of the swingarm to show the "bling" to come 8) Wave rotor on the brake side and black Vortex sprocket with stock gearing on the drive side. My friend with the GSXR I extended gave me the license plate bracket, I got an acorn plate light from ebay to light it up.  My valve stem caps are actual .44 mag casings, compliments of ebay too :P

Next, I'll be working on the '08 rear sets and passenger peg brackets.  I liked the shape of the '08 rear sets and they do like nice on my '06 but it did take a little bit of drilling and tapping on the shift side to make them fit.  the brake side fit perfectly!  Once they're on I can mount the chain, tighten up the back wheel, and install the left engine cover hardware. 
Till next time!
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
Okay; got the rear sets polished, brake and clutch bled, chain and wheel complete, and sprocket cover installed :)  Here's a pic showing the right '08 Busa rear set.  I think I got it shinier than the frame!  Guess I'll have to touch the frame up now :?

She's standing on her own two wheels!  Kickstand is down and air shock is fully pumped up :thumb:

Fully slammed :shock:  Adjustable kickstand is at just the right length!

Just a tech note:  When you adjust your chain make sure you do so when the bike is at the lowest point where you will normally do your riding. Look for high spot on sprocket (tightest point) and measure chain slack.  Make sure chain has the minimum recommended slack because when the bike is fully lifted there will be ALOT more slack.  Well, next on the agenda will be polishing the passenger pegs and then the fun task of wiring the + and - fuse blocks along with the other stuff, i.e. rear view camera and monitor.  Wifewy is on my case at the moment, gotta get to bed :|

Do, Try, or Die!

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
Re: $1500 Busa, money well spent!
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »
I just wanted to add a "source" list.  I don't know the reputations of these sellers but my experience with them was okay.  I'll add to this list as I go along.

www.trickedoutcycles.com Tricked Out Custom Cycles (Chrome goodies)
www.ronayers.com Ron Ayers parts (OEM parts)
www.caswellplating.com Caswell Plating (polishing and painting supplies)
www.motoxoutlet.com Moto X Outlet (Decent priced Tires)
www.compacc.com Competition Accessories (Parts, clothing, accessories)
www.jdacustom.com JDA Custom Chrome, Sportbike Parts, Custom Builds, and Apparel
schnitzracingstore.com Schnitz Racing (I think everyone knows about these guys)
mpsracing.com MPS Racing (Specializing in Hayabusas, another well known site)
bozbros.com Boz Brothers (Cool exhaust systems)
rmtracking.com Rocky Mountain Tracking (Cool place to make your own "Lo Jack" system!)
mototuneusa.com MotoTuneUSA (Learn how to High-Velocity port your cylinder head!)
Sweetassseats.com (Custom seat covers, you pick material and style)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:12:54 PM by trunkbuster »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline Bigrod330

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
With the air ride and tank..looks like your doing A INSTANT Up?   May not want that on a remote.  That thang will pop so fast and flip it.  Mine will actually pop up and off the kickstand if not holding on to it.  Word of wise.

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:08 PM »
Hey, thanks for the advice :wink: I'll be careful
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline _slytly_twiztid_

• Apprentice Post Whore
    • Slytly Twiztid
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29:09 PM »
looks good man keep it up :thumb:

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:58 PM »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »
Is there a reason you didnt weld the pair holes? just wondering because i welded mine instead of blockoffs
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 05:57:16 PM »
Hi! Weld is an inexpensive option, I just don't know how to weld :?: The plates come with a gasket and there's not a lot of pressure behind the plate.
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 06:36:06 PM »
i understand the pressure but you spent all that time porting the head why not make the exhaust flow better?
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2010, 06:54:29 PM »

these are my exhaust ports

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 02:36:04 PM »
In the pic is the head upside down?  Did you enlarge them or make them smaller?  Making them smaller improves the exhaust scavenging, you have the venturi effect on the exhaust side.  I wasn't sure JB Weld would hold up in there but I did think about doing that!  I decided on a less restrictive exhaust system instead.  The work I did on the intake side will help me retain my low-end power and should compensate for the lack of back-pressure from the exhaust.  I'll find out soon how it all works together; Intake Porting, ECU modifications, cam timing, exhaust system, fuel mapping.  Like I mentioned before, I haven't done all these modifications before, let alone at the same time, to one bike.  I'm learning to tie all the mods together so they function as a package.  I'm not a beginner yet I'm not an expert either 8)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:52:59 PM by trunkbuster »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 03:28:14 PM »
Okay, got the passenger pegs done but I still have the chain guard to go before all the polishing is complete :cry:  Here's the pics of the pegs and brackets with the exhaust plugs in place.  Although I'll never have a passenger on the back of her I still wanted to add some flava :lol:  In this first pic you can see the left "dog bone".  I had to cut a little off the end of each one to get the bike to raise higher.

I started on wiring the WEGO in the meantime, won't be able to work on it this weekend though.  Gotta install a set of jets in a GSXR :|  I was a little intimidated by the WEGO at first, thought it was too "hi-tech" for me but, after reading up on it, found it's only a few wires and the actual sensor itself and that's it!  The first pic is the tach connection made at the ECU to the number 1 cylinder wire (blue/white).

In this pic the connection to the Throttle Postion Sensor (TPS) is shown.

Here is the Bosch O2 sensor in place on the left bank of cylinders to collect samples from #1 and #2.  A "free-air" sample will have to be done to calibrate the WEGO before I can fire up the engine.  Since the exhaust is new I shouldn't have to take it back out for that.

Underneath this clusterfucation of wires and tubes and next to the air solenoid is the WEGO III itself.  It's just temporary, once I've got the tune I need it's coming back out and going on my F-one fiddy so I can use "Sniper" software to tune that.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:10:29 PM by trunkbuster »
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010, 03:44:04 PM »
That is he head upside down...the "fin" is what i welded and shaped...they are a little smaller i just hope it worls well because i had almost 6 hours in welding and shaping to make them all the same

Offline trunkbuster

• Rider
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2010, 03:55:43 PM »
Wow! Pretty impressive :shock:  Did you have something to go by?
Do, Try, or Die!

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
no i just did one and then made the others the same way...if you want more pics i still have my head off and i can show you more