Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Project prostreet 1985 GS1150 (look a like) Cool old streetride  (Read 19576 times)

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Project prostreet 1985 GS1150 (look a like) Cool old streetride
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:21:43 PM »
Well after a failed attempt at selling the GS1150 Turbo I decided to get it out and take it to the track again.  And guess what even like it set it was one of the fastest bikes there!  So that got me pumped and I thought I might as well go ahead and make a cool little street ride out of it.  So here starts the project.  I remember back in the old ProStar days how cool the old GS's looked with modern GSXR wheels and brakes looked so here is where I started.  I got the old GSXR750 track bike out for parts, it had a spun bearing and was just wasting space. 
The project 1150 ready for some new parts.

I pulled the rear wheel off of the 750.  purple ain't cutting it for the 1150

A trip to Wal-Mart and some stripper,paint and some clear.  I coated the rear wheel down with stripper and pulled the 1150 wheel off while it was working.  10 minutes later and the machined finish of the wheel was shinning like...well machined metal.

After pressure washing the wheel and getting it cleaned I tapped up the machined part of the wheel.  I used Electrical tape on the machined surface right up to the cast part that I would be painting. it takes some time but really works well.

The rest I used masking tape to cover up the rest of the wheel.  I used Matte aluminum and then clear to give it the finish I wanted.  here the wheel is sprayed with the aluminum and awaiting the clear.

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: Project prostreet 1985 GS1150 (look a like) Cool old streetride
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »
So after a couple coats of clear and removing the tape I test fit the wheel in the 1150 swingarm. left side

right side

Npw for the front end.  I pulled the GSXR750 front end off and set it to the side then I started on the GS front end. Here the triple tree is ready to come off.

I placed a jack on the front of the engine and slowly jacked it up to remove the 1150 front end.

the 1150 front end removed

the 750 front end being fitted.  luckily the GSXR and the GS still use the same bearings for the steering stem.  You will need to use the GS dust cover but the rest is the GSXR parts

I modified the top triple tree to use the stock GS1150 ignition.  I wanted it to have the original key that worked everything.  I used the GSXR750 clip ons but flipped them over and reversed them to work on top of the triple tree.  This gives you a nice seating position with bars about the same as they were stock.  

I am still going to pull the front trim off and strip and paint it to match the rear and I am going to try and fabricate some brackets to use the stock 1150 front rim.  Here is the bike with a mock up wheel, I am getting a new tire for the back one.  I still have a few things to do.  Here is a couple of side views.  

« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:42:11 PM by Big_T »

Offline BEN

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 02:29:51 PM »
Looking good !!!

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
I wanted to get some base runs on the turbo 1150. I added the front strap and pulled her down, warmed her up and then went to the line, I did a pretty good burnout in first, the tire did good and was trying to push the front end. It's a little rich on the bottom end and could use a little tweaking but it clears right up. I didn't use the air shifter for my first pass and left soft. 1.68 60ft. 6.22 @ 123mph foot shifting. I had added a few rounds to the wastegate screw and it showed 12 lbs. on the gauge. Remember this bike still has the old Yokahama 003 tire from the old days.  And it still hooked.  I wanted to do a few 1/8th mile runs with the old setup and the new set up. here is a pic of how she set at the track.

Now I was feeling good and the bike was not trying to wheelie bad so I hit it hard this time and I was running my Buddy on his ZX14. I went a 6.02 @ 125mph with a 1.61 60ft.  not bad but it could use a little more power.  So I put a few more rounds of boost in it and went back out.  and you could tell it helped.  A best pass of the day. went a solid 10.5K shifting 5.93 @ 129 mph and she showed a hair over 15 lbs. here is another side view of how he looked pulled down in the front.

I will have some more time runs on the new set up at 20 pounds of boost.  shes already seen 30 lbs on the dyno so if it don't flip over I will be good.  at least it will have better brakes and tires.  My day at the track ended when one of the oil lines to the oil cooler broke at the oil cooler banjo in the burnout box squirting oil in the air.  I shut it off quick and rolled it back out.  here is the line that failed

thank god almighty it failed in the burnout box.  I hate to think what would have happened if it would have came out going down the track.  Time for some new lines to get made up.   
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:46:53 PM by Big_T »

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:24:12 PM »
Same color and paint (less tank embelm) as mine was (no fairing). Wish I would have kept it. All motor 1266 kit in mine. Love the old 1150s. I don't have any pics loaded of it tho.

This was my 81 1100 I stripped for the track with an FRP 1150 body.

Nice work on bringing yours back to life. i would like to find another one.
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »
Very Nice  :thumb:

I would love to do the same thing for just a Street Bike to be different.  :wink:

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »
Thanks.  I hope it turns out well and looks good.  It really should be a cool old bike that will still run good. 

Offline unit176

• Post Whore
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:10:37 PM »
You should consider changing over to the GSXR entire swingarm set up...that bike can be realy nice with some work.  Check this one out:

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
That is nice but way out of my league on fabing.  I am just a garage mech.  Trying to biuld something fun to ride and look kinda cool.  Here is the bars finished.  I still have to mount the boost gauge to the triple tree.  These are the GSXR750 bars flipped upside down and swapped from side to side mounted on the top of the triple tree.  It gives a lot less aggressive ride. 

Offline unit176

• Post Whore
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
You should check out "old school suzuki's" website they have "how to" articles on many upgrades using current Suzuki factory running gear, etc.  That doesn't take much fab work. 

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 03:51:46 AM »
I will check it out

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »
OK so I stripped the front rim and painted it.  I then put my new tire on it.  I fabed up the stock front fender to keep it looking more original.  I used the GSXR fender mounts to make the ones for the GS1150 fender. 

I only used one disc on the front.  not sure if I kike it or not. I may add the other one later. 

It looks good so far.  My cat watched the whole thing and it wore her out. 

working on bikes is hard on a person.

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »
And the cat too.  :lol:

Looking good  :thumb: :thumb:
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
Good help is hard to find :)

Offline gfast2

• Rider
  • aka gfast
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 12:02:34 AM »
Very nice bike. :thumb:
2006 busa
total redo

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 12:19:31 AM »
Thanks.  It's coming along.  I hope to have the rear tire finished and have the chain back on.  I still have lot's of little things to do.  You would not believe the problems that pop up that take a lot of time to work out. It ook a while just to make the fender brackets to use the GS1150 front fender when I just could have bolted the GSXR fender on and been done.  finished pics coming up soon. 

Offline Smokin Ya

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
Any more pics?  Cool bike. :thumb:

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 10:58:46 AM »
Yes I pretty much have it finished for now.  I took it out yesterday and it rides 10 times better.  Stops better and at 15 pounds of boost pulls hard and does not try to wheelie now that it sits lower.  I still have not decided if I want to loose the ES faring and make it an E model yet.  What do you guys think?

Offline Smokin Ya

• Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 05:35:09 PM »
As far as bikes, that is one of the best sleepers ive seen :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 11:00:01 AM »
It has some really good parts in it.  With C-16 in the tank it's an 8 sec streetbike in the 1/4 mile.  Granted it's not very high tech. but is pretty much bullet proof. and the cool thing is nobody thinks it will run.  Oh and I would trade it for a cruiser bike too.

Offline Smokin Ya

• Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
I got my 05' busa and an 01' softtail but the wife would snap if I ever let the Harley go :grn:  Sweet bike you got though. :thumb:

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 02:57:09 PM »
I sold my Turbo Busa and my ZX14,  I just want a nice cruiser bike now.  The GS basically is a sleeper.  The newer model parts blend in well with the style of the bike and give it a more updated feel.  It tops out on the dyno at 311 rear wheel H.P. which is no match for the new turbo busa's but still respectful horse power numbers. and it is an 85 model.  What it does do is 60 ft. and does it well.  Maybe someone would work out a trade for a nice cruiser.  Who knows. 

Offline Smokin Ya

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
Cruisers are a lot of fun no doubt,  but I still need to get the turbo bike out every once in a while just for the rush.  Good luck,  hope you get what your lookin for and I'll keep my ears open for anyone lookin. :thumb:

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
Big T, top job !!!

Looks like you had loads of fun ?  :lol: Lovin it  8)

The rear mudgaurd, indicators and bracketry need to come off I reckon ?  Cleans up the back end to view the GSXR rear wheel?
Love the mahooooosive indicators on the old stuff !!! I`ve got quite a collection of indicators and mirrors off old bikes  :D
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline Big_T

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 11:20:26 AM »
Yea,  I know they need to go but they are original and they work so I left it on there. I might swap in some aftermarket new smaller ones.