Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Suggestions on rebuilding my 1397  (Read 13221 times)

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
Suggestions on rebuilding my 1397
« on: September 20, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »
I'm gonna refresh my 1397(12:1)  over the winter and was wondering what else we could do to improve it. I'm new at this motor building thing , so I'm starting with a Carpenter head and cams .
Any suggestions   :?:  
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 12:03:51 AM by C_Henry »
Now , Knecum powered . Fire in tha hole !

Offline bl13r

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Suggestions on rebuilding my 1397
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
you might as well make it a 1441 going to cost the same  :thumb:
burn rubber leave a mark for me

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:06:49 AM »

Yea, I"m still looking into that Bo . We saw a guy doing some 5.80's Fri night in Hunt . Thats fast enough for me .  :thumb:
The trick now is finding someone repitable , and that fits my budget .  :?

Offline bl13r

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 02:52:25 PM »
man i no the deal on that budget

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »

How does making it a 1441 cost the same as freshening a motor? Need to buy another crank and a spacer to make it a 1441.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
  • Where am I? Don't worry bout it
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »

How does making it a 1441 cost the same as freshening a motor? Need to buy another crank and a spacer to make it a 1441.
by the time he sells his tock crank it will be maybe an extra 350 give or take

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »

I think he's talking about having my crank lightend and balanced .

Offline bl13r

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »

c-henry nows what i was talking about some people need to stay out of other peoples business unless you no what is going on 

Offline genarr3

• Post Master
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »

I'm still wondering the same thing. Lighten and balance costs $225, you're not getting an 08 crank and spacer plate for anywhere near that.
Orient Express Top Street Bike 2011 Season Champ Englishtown NJ

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »
Anyway, looks as though I'm gonna end up doin this rebuild myself to save $ . New bearings,rings, head&cams . How hard could this be for the first time ? :shock:
I'm screwed !  :bah:

Offline bl13r

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:59:11 PM »
not hard for you me i would be screwed. :?:

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »
not hard for you me i would be screwed. :?:

:hys: Yea, right ! 

Offline valley poi

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »
Anyway, looks as though I'm gonna end up doin this rebuild myself to save $ . New bearings,rings, head&cams . How hard could this be for the first time ? :shock:
Aloha its not hard at all you just need to follow the manual step by step for the basic rebuild and you should get by just fine. Its the little things that the manual doesn't tell you that you will need to figure out like adjusting cam sprockets ,piston depth and a few other things but if you cant figure something out I'm quite sure most people on here will be more than willing to help. Good luck.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »

c-henry nows what i was talking about some people need to stay out of other peoples business unless you no what is going on 

Wow...settle down. You're the one that posted shit to a public forum that doesn't make any sense.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 05:52:39 AM »

If you are on a tight budget, go with a hand ported head with springs rather than the Carpenter head. Unless you are trying to build an all out race motor, the carpenter head will not give you any more horsepower than an $800 job (Even if you are building an all out race motor...)
Look around and you can find used cams fairly easily, most already with adjustable sprockets. If you are still street riding, don't go too big on the cams.

John

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 05:53:25 AM »

If you are on a tight budget, go with a hand ported head with springs rather than the Carpenter head. Unless you are trying to build an all out race motor, the carpenter head will not give you any more horsepower than an $800 job (Even if you are building an all out race motor...)
Look around and you can find used cams fairly easily, most already with adjustable sprockets. If you are still street riding, don't go too big on the cams. Lightening and balancing can be shelved as well.

John

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 12:21:43 PM »
Aloha its not hard at all you just need to follow the manual step by step for the basic rebuild and you should get by just fine. Its the little things that the manual doesn't tell you that you will need to figure out like adjusting cam sprockets ,piston depth and a few other things but if you cant figure something out I'm quite sure most people on here will be more than willing to help. Good luck.

Yea, me and my wife have taken it all apart and reassembled it . Just have never been inside the motor before. It's the fear of the unknown i guess . The suprises are always what make it fun .  :bah:
Bob was gonna help us out on getting the cams degreed . By the way , what is piston depth ? I don't remember reading anything about that in tha manual. Lol !

Again all together now , I'm screwed ! :hys:

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »

Look around and you can find used cams fairly easily, most already with adjustable sprockets. If you are still street riding, don't go too big on the cams.

John

We were thinking about the Carpenter set up 1 cause he guarantees 40hp , and cause he said he'ld help me out trying to get the cams degreed in . Yes, it's just a track bike, no street at all .
I could save a good bit doin another set up , but I'ld like to get as much hp as i can for the $ What other combo could give me bout 40hp ?
And I have been look'n for used cams. The only ones I've seen were only a couple of dollars cheaper than new ones .  :?

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 12:49:45 PM »

John

We were thinking about the Carpenter set up 1 cause he guarantees 40hp , and cause he said he'ld help me out trying to get the cams degreed in . Yes, it's just a track bike, no street at all .
I could save a good bit doin another set up , but I'ld like to get as much hp as i can for the $ What other combo could give me bout 40hp ?
And I have been look'n for used cams. The only ones I've seen were only a couple of dollars cheaper than new ones .  :?

Guarenteeing horsepower is relative. Many of the Carpenter motors are advertised at 215 or 220 hp and we have seen a few of them at 202 and 203,  on other dynos. If you go with teh more radical setup, we have seen as high as 214 with the giant cams that he supplies.

If you already have a 1397, have you had it on a dyno? What did it make. Getting another 40 HP from a 1397 by putting head and cams in it is quite an astonishing feat.   

John

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 12:58:28 PM »

John

Guarenteeing horsepower is relative. Many of the Carpenter motors are advertised at 215 or 220 hp and we have seen a few of them at 202 and 203,  on other dynos. If you go with teh more radical setup, we have seen as high as 214 with the giant cams that he supplies.

If you already have a 1397, have you had it on a dyno? What did it make. Getting another 40 HP from a 1397 by putting head and cams in it is quite an astonishing feat.   

John

Yea, my 1397(12:1)  only made 181hp when it was built . It's all stk except for the pistons .
As far as the 40hp goes , he"s got a great name at tha track  for his work . I really could care less about the hp numbers , i  want the numbers at the track .
I was running 6.00 in the 1/8th mile. I'ld like to be around 5.80 .

Offline valley poi

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »

Yea, me and my wife have taken it all apart and reassembled it . Just have never been inside the motor before. It's the fear of the unknown i guess . The suprises are always what make it fun .  :bah:
Bob was gonna help us out on getting the cams degreed . By the way , what is piston depth ? I don't remember reading anything about that in tha manual. Lol !

Aloha piston depth is just how far down into the cylinder the piston is if you dont change the piston or crank you wont have to worry about it. But bad things happen if the piston is too close to the head or valves. I under stand the fear part our first time back to the track after our rebuild all I could think about was if we did every thing right and hoping that it stays together, its running strong for now. Good luck

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 03:29:19 PM »

John

John

Yea, my 1397(12:1)  only made 181hp when it was built . It's all stk except for the pistons .
As far as the 40hp goes , he"s got a great name at tha track  for his work . I really could care less about the hp numbers , i  want the numbers at the track .

What MPH were you running in the 1/8th and how much do you weigh?

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 05:23:06 PM »

Aloha piston depth is just how far down into the cylinder the piston is if you dont change the piston or crank you wont have to worry about it. But bad things happen if the piston is too close to the head or valves. I under stand the fear part our first time back to the track after our rebuild all I could think about was if we did every thing right and hoping that it stays together, its running strong for now. Good luck

Thanks ! Thant makes it a little easier . :thumb:
I think I'll just lighten and balance my gen1 crank to keep things simple this first time. That way replacing my bearings won't be such a headache , maybe. Again, thanks !

Offline C_Henry

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

John

John

What MPH were you running in the 1/8th and how much do you weigh?

We were running 117mph  consistantly . I weigh 185 suited . :thumb:

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »
I dont do drag racing,just lsr, Bob did my head and cams, The 210 hp deal. The motor is awesome, made 211 with legal production factory mufflers, made 220 with ti force header. Its a 1340 with Suz. crank rods and pistons.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING