Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 08 Turbo Busa Goal of 500HP with ecueditor only!  (Read 45667 times)

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
08 Turbo Busa Goal of 500HP with ecueditor only!
« on: September 26, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »
Well i figured i would start the build page for my 08 Turbo Busa. All stock form made 176hp and 102lb/ft. After a stage I kit made 250hp and 126lb/ft on a 5psi spring which supposedly only boosts at 4.3psi. Kit was a homemade kit, RCC header, RCC FMU, i made the exhaust dumps, up pipe & plenum, with a Garrett T3/To4e 60trim Turbo, Tial MVS wastegate & 50mm bov, Walbro 255 fuel pump & stock injectors. I got bored with the power and looking to upgrade to more boost!  :lol:  Here are some pics of what has commenced already.

A pic of the Busa with stage I turbo kit.

A pic of the Busa stripped and ready for motor to be dropped.

A pic of the motor dropped out and ready for work to be done.

Plans are for me to lower compression with the typical .080" base spacer, head studs n nuts, main studs, APE manual cam chain tensioner, APE adjustable cam gears, APE 65lb valves springs, Gen1 SS valves, Cometic gaskets both head and lower end kit and lightened and balanced crank with counter weight removed. Thanks again Greg (smithabusa) for the motor parts. I got a good deal on the everything. I got the gen1 valves from an 04 locally and the APE tensioner from APE.

Things that are to be installed:

CycleTek airshifter with ECU Kill
Smithabusa 2 Step with autoshift function
Aquamist 2d Water injection
Gen2 ECU Boost solenoid control with boost by gear selection in EE2 using the ABC button for different stage boost setups.
    Mode C with 6psi for all gears
    Mode B with 6psi in 1st, 9psi in 2nd and 11psi for 3rd-6th
    Mode A with MSO map switched for C16 drag map at 8psi in 1st, 11 in 2nd and hopefully ~14psi for 3rd-6th
Electric Boost and Fuel PSI gauges with Tiger Racing 3 gauge holder and my XD-16 being the 3rd gauge
Remount DL-32, SSI, FIAA o2 injector controller, ECU and RCC water injection tank, o2 tank for airshifter
Im getting my MTC extended clutch cover machined for oring and accessable cover
A new paint job which is probably going to be all black

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 05:31:16 PM by egarms »
When injustice becomes law, Resistance becomes DUTY! -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
Re: 08 Turbo Busa Stage II
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
Looks like you're on the right track man! Good looking work area too! :thumb:

Have you thought about upgrading your rods too?

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »
Looks like you're on the right track man! Good looking work area too! :thumb:

Have you thought about upgrading your rods too?

Thanks on the working area. I have thought about swaping out the rods but i am also trying to buy a house so the fundage isnt there for everything i want to do it. If i can sell both my Ti valves and PC3 then I would be able to get rods. Then i would also get a set of pistons to finish the build. If thats possible and anybody that has a gen1 that is doing an 08 crank conversion could buy my stock rods n pistons for i would say $350. I am also going to powdercoat the rear sets black to match the black paintjob when finished.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 01:03:55 PM by egarms »

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 01:06:13 PM »
That's cool. I with ya on the low fundage builds. I was wanting to do rods and pistons on mine too but had to put it off...

PCing the rear sets would look good. :thumb:

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 01:11:43 PM »
I had already decided that i was going to lower the compression with spacer and studs no matter what. I just couldnt find myself doing a complete build and buying a house. So on the street 300hp and track 330-340hp will have to suffice til next winter. Hopefully if a get a house by Nov 30th then i can get Obama's 8g's! (Only thing he has done good since he's been in office i might add.) That would make it possible to get rods n pistons so here's hopin!

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 01:40:28 PM »
Looking good.  :thumb:

I'd put the money you have allocated for the crank work and the new paint job and put it towards rods instead. Bike looks great as it as far as paint, and the crank work probably won't do much for your application.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 02:54:44 PM »
I could set the money aside for rods instead of crank work yes. But as for the paint job when i had the upper fairing and +6 tail fairing painted there was more blue in the paint and it doesnt quite match. I was going to go ahead and paint everything black so its nice, clean and tasteful. Besides with what im doing to it i will need to blend in with other bikes as to not let the popo's know who i am whenever I go for a late night interstate cruise!   8)

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 03:20:12 PM »
LET ME H E L P YOU OUT!!!  :wink:

I have a Brand NEW Set of Gen II JE Turbo Pistons sitting here - and a GEN 1 .080 Spacer (should Fit).

All I want is a 8" over Catalyst Tail with Tail Light Bracket...  and they are yours!  :thumb:

I have Head Studs too...  :D

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 03:40:41 PM »
LET ME H E L P YOU OUT!!!  :wink:

I have a Brand NEW Set of Gen II JE Turbo Pistons sitting here - and a GEN 1 .080 Spacer (should Fit).

All I want is a 8" over Catalyst Tail with Tail Light Bracket...  and they are yours!  :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 08:12:32 AM »
LET ME H E L P YOU OUT!!!  :wink:

All I want is a 8" over Catalyst Tail with Tail Light Bracket...  and they are yours!  :thumb:

How much for the genII turbo pistons? I already have a spacer and studs. But thanks though. My tail is a 6 over catalyst. When i called catalyst they didnt have a street 8 over tail. Unless they barely came out with it? That and im not really selling my tail. Just getting it repainted.

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:37:02 AM »
Not a Street Tail - Solo Seat = No Hump...  :wink:
$400 TYD for the Pistons...

Need any Bling?    Free....   8)
I have Custom Chrome Plated Reservoir (Clutch & Brake) Covers = TurboBusa
They're just collecting Dust.

I'm gonna put some stuff up for sale shortly...

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:53:57 AM »

I will take the pistons. i just need to get a little more money and i wont take out of my house fund. give me a week and see what i can do. not really too big on the bling. i like the stock cuz there black. but thanks for asking.

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »

I will take the pistons. i just need to get a little more money and i wont take out of my house fund. give me a week and see what i can do. not really too big on the bling. i like the stock cuz there black. but thanks for asking.

They are Yours - Just let me know when your ready.  :wink:

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 09:34:11 AM »

They are Yours - Just let me know when your ready.  :wink:

Very kewl! Thanks a bunch Jerry

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Hey Jerry,  Do you still have the head studs?  Are the promod studs or the 1/2 studs?  Ill take the bling too.  Let me know.

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 09:15:03 AM »
I had some time to take apart motor. Here's some new pics of the progress!

Stock Ti valves swapped for gen1 ss valves, 65lb APE valve springs, APE head and main studs, APE adjustable cam gears and .080 spacer being installed. Will get pics up as i get stuff done. Hope you guys like.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
Def save the crank money for rods if you plan on turning it up.

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:39 AM »
In the process of buying a house. Rods n pistons are going to have to wait til this next winter time for the winter 2010 project. Im gonna have to deal with 300hp for this summer. looking at also upgrading to a gt35r as well when the rods n pistons get installed. good thing i have all summer long to save!

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 02:05:29 PM »
Lookin' good.  You're up here in the thin CO air, right?  What sort of 1/4 times did you run with the 250whp?  Also, was the 250whp SAe/corrected numbers, or uncorrected?  I'm approaching the major part ordering-fest to build my gen 1 turbo setup and I wanted to see what sort of times similar guys are running up here
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:07:39 PM by servion »
Official Site Donor
8.61@168.9 1.47 60' - E85 stock motor gen1 streetbike
My Autronic SM4 Stage 1 build

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 08:50:15 AM »
Yep up here in Denver! high 9's was my best i think a 9.70 something if my memory serves me correct. i was still getting used to the bike and our track up here closed in october! opens back up in april and hopefully i will be done with my upgrades and tuned ready to go. on the same dyno stock it ran 172hp and after turbo it was 250hp. dont know what correction factor the shop used for their dyno. i have the dyno sheet still somewhere laying around that i could put a pic of on here if you want. it has both stock dyno run and turbo dyno run as well. 

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 10:14:30 AM »
Yep up here in Denver! high 9's was my best i think a 9.70 something if my memory serves me correct. i was still getting used to the bike and our track up here closed in october! opens back up in april and hopefully i will be done with my upgrades and tuned ready to go. on the same dyno stock it ran 172hp and after turbo it was 250hp. dont know what correction factor the shop used for their dyno. i have the dyno sheet still somewhere laying around that i could put a pic of on here if you want. it has both stock dyno run and turbo dyno run as well. 

I'm in Colorado Springs myself, I used to race my car at Bandimere all the time!  If you have the dyno sheet, that would be awesome if you could post it.  Do you remember your best trapspeed?  What turbo are you running?

I've got a gen 1, and I got it down to 10.5@135 with a 1.73 60' at the dragstrip in Pueblo, still haven't made it to Bandi on the busa yet.  I'm going "stage 1" soon, but with a final goal of an 8.99999999.  Damn our altitude LOL
Official Site Donor

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
my 60 was horrible around the same as you. my best speed was 150. Im using a t3 super 60 garrett turbo. where you getting yours tuned at? dont go to faster whatever you do. bart will NOT tune your bike right. he tuned mine for 13.5afr on boost! as soon as i got home i immediately richened her up. then i switched to ecu flash by smithabusa. helped get the ball rolling and tested the gm 3bar map sensor for boost fuel control on the gen2's. tried getting the solenoid boost control up n going but still working on motor. greg is hopefully going to be testing that here pretty soon. im going to be taking mine to colorado powersports up in boulder. they are the only one that will even try to tune my bike for ecu flash. there are no good turbo tuners here in the immediate Denver area. thinking about buying a dyno and start a side business out of my new 720 sq/ft garage. cant wait for bandi to open back up in april. i myself will be gunning for the 8's and would be sweet if i could get to the low 8's by the end of summer. yep im wishing we had the warmer weather of az here right now. colder than shit the past 2 weeks. altitude definately sucks up here!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:43:53 AM by egarms »

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
my 60 was horrible around the same as you. my best speed was 150. Im using a t3 super 60 garrett turbo. where you getting yours tuned at? dont go to faster whatever you do. bart will NOT tune your bike right. he tuned mine for 13.5afr on boost! as soon as i got home i immediately richened her up. then i switched to ecu flash by smithabusa. helped get the ball rolling and tested the gm 3bar map sensor for boost fuel control on the gen2's. tried getting the solenoid boost control up n going but still working on motor. greg is hopefully going to be testing that here pretty soon. im going to be taking mine to colorado powersports up in boulder. they are the only one that will even try to tune my bike for ecu flash. there are no good turbo tuners here in the immediate Denver area. thinking about buying a dyno and start a side business out of my new 720 sq/ft garage. cant wait for bandi to open back up in april. i myself will be gunning for the 8's and would be sweet if i could get to the low 8's by the end of summer. yep im wishing we had the warmer weather of az here right now. colder than shit the past 2 weeks. altitude definately sucks up here!

150mph is not bad.... man its tough hearing about all these guys running 9's n/a at sea level stock and we have to user a poweradder to get there LOL.  13.5 afr, EEK, glad you didn't melt it.

I am tuning it myself, I do tons of tuning on cars (mostly standalone stuff) and I'm just getting into bikes.  I've done the ECU Editor stuff, but the gen1 doesn't have the boost compensation.  I'm going standalone on it, mainly because I have a spare one from my old race car.  I've got unlimited dyno access on a load bearing dyno so I figure, why not :)

If I wasn't tuning it myself, I would have Tracey at Jackel Motorsports here in Colorado Springs tune it.  He does everything on my bike that I don't want to do  myself haha

8.9's sounds like such a modest goal, but with this altitude.... I really don't want to build the motor to do it.  My racecar started off as fun and turned into a PITA, I don't want the bike to do the same thing  :evil:
Official Site Donor

Offline TurboGen2

• Post Whore
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2009, 02:40:54 PM »
Good luck on your build. Maybe we can meet up at Bandi some time and have a couple races. Not too many big time turbo bikes up here in the Denver area. What about down in Co Springs? I will just have a good base tune done for mine at Co powersports. Once greg gets his dynoed im going to try his ecu map and try to fine tune it with my dl-32, lc-1 and xd-16. might not have to go to powersports at all. so are you staying with the stock motor or spacing it and more boost?

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
Good luck on your build. Maybe we can meet up at Bandi some time and have a couple races. Not too many big time turbo bikes up here in the Denver area. What about down in Co Springs? I will just have a good base tune done for mine at Co powersports. Once greg gets his dynoed im going to try his ecu map and try to fine tune it with my dl-32, lc-1 and xd-16. might not have to go to powersports at all. so are you staying with the stock motor or spacing it and more boost?

I would definitely like to meet up at bandi, I would love to take any pointers you have to offer.

Well, I was hoping to keep from tearing into the motor at all.  Perhaps that's not feasible, but I am definitely going to keep the motor at stock compression for now.  I intend to do e85, which will help tremendously!
Official Site Donor