Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Post yer best defensive tactic for staying safe on yer bike  (Read 42471 times)

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Post yer best defensive tactic for staying safe on yer bike
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 09:16:51 AM »
Be aware of your surroundings, allways leave yourself an out. Never sit at a light in neutral till traffic behind you has stopped. This means leave your mirrors on. Glock helps too.
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
Be aware of your surroundings, allways leave yourself an out. Never sit at a light in neutral till traffic behind you has stopped. This means leave your mirrors on. Glock helps too.

good advice on the in gear thing. never thought about that although I always watch behind whether in a car or on bike to make sure I'm not going to get ran over but never thought to keep bike in gear waiting for the traffic to stop. :thumb:

Offline Cloud

• Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 12:59:18 PM »
1. Only ride when its worth it. If the weather is shit or going to be shit, its not worth the risk in bad weather for limited fun.
2. Never ride in the city. Always out of town.
3. I watch the driver's face when the t-bone could be a factor.
4. 1st snow = done riding.
5. Don't ride until May when the roads will be clear of grit from the winter.

Cloud

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
1. Only ride when its worth it. If the weather is shit or going to be shit, its not worth the risk in bad weather for limited fun.
2. Never ride in the city. Always out of town.
3. I watch the driver's face when the t-bone could be a factor.
4. 1st snow = done riding.
5. Don't ride until May when the roads will be clear of grit from the winter.

Cloud

Good list, Cloud! One more though,,,

NEVER RIDE ANGRY! PERIOD!
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »

Good list, Cloud! One more though,,,

[/quote]

Yep, i gotta agree .
Dont take off on your ride angry or let other drivers make you angy.
If you tend to road rage then sell your bike . A good street rider has ice water running through his veins cause he's so cool headed.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:23:42 PM by zzr12pete »
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline liltroy

• Rider
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 08:27:04 PM »
I might need to sell mine then. About a year ago I kicked the side of a car because the teenager driving and his buddys thought it would be funny to act as though they were going to merge into me...laughing the whole time. Scared the hell outta me so I kicked the side of his car so hard it pushed me into the emergency lane but its ok...he got a huge dent in the passenger door to remember not to try that shit again.
06 black/red
Zero Gravity dark smoke DB windscreen,Second Look seat skins,Custom red led's,Suzuki carbon fiber kit,1" bar risers,Pair valve block-offs,Hedman hot tip,Small box mod with short stacks,Ecu-edit(boostbysmith harness),BMC race filter,-1 front

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:46 PM »
 Carry marbles or ball bearings in your pocket. A treat for tailgaters. :lol: they do wonders on windsheilds, headlights, and paint. (Old truckdrivers trick.)
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »

[/quote]

Very true, a 600 lb bike against a 4000 lb car never wins.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 08:45:43 PM »
Carry marbles or ball bearings in your pocket. A treat for tailgaters. :lol: they do wonders on windsheilds, headlights, and paint. (Old truckdrivers trick.)

dumbest thing I ever heard of.
Ive heard it a bunch too.

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »

dumbest thing I ever heard of.
Ive heard it a bunch too.

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
Pennys work good too  :wink: :wink: Think what you want but you dont know how many times i wanted to punch someones mirror off!!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 04:48:47 AM »
I might need to sell mine then. About a year ago I kicked the side of a car because the teenager driving and his buddys thought it would be funny to act as though they were going to merge into me...laughing the whole time. Scared the hell outta me so I kicked the side of his car so hard it pushed me into the emergency lane but its ok...he got a huge dent in the passenger door to remember not to try that shit again.

sounds like you scare pretty easy.

Offline liltroy

• Rider
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:38 AM »

sounds like you scare pretty easy.

not really....but I tend to scare when someone looks straight at me and swurves halfway into my lane.
06 black/red
Zero Gravity dark smoke DB windscreen,Second Look seat skins,Custom red led's,Suzuki carbon fiber kit,1" bar risers,Pair valve block-offs,Hedman hot tip,Small box mod with short stacks,Ecu-edit(boostbysmith harness),BMC race filter,-1 front

Offline peanuthead

• Rider
Re: Post yer best defensive tactic for staying safe
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
I always carry a condom and my 9mm works every time! :hys:
Dat waz phunney

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2010, 02:52:26 PM »
Keeping you`re head tight and mentally focused.
Do`nt ride along doing "dum-dee-dum" in your head, you know ?  :lol:
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 04:39:26 PM »

This is criminal and should NOT be done, period!  Pennies either...
Ride em if ya got em

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 05:35:11 PM »

This is criminal and should NOT be done, period!  Pennies either...
So is tailgateing, but it's done.

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 06:03:34 PM »
Tailgating is at best a misdemeanor.  Having a steel ball bearing thrown in your direction is at worst a felony assault with a deadly weapon.  What if it bounced on down the road and hit another rider in his face shield?  I had the headlight cover blasted out on my 82 CBX, with what I'm guessing was a ball bearing or? one day on the freeway.  I couldn't tell who threw it due to heavy traffic (or) if it was meant for me or someone else.  Once it leaves your hand you won't have any control over who it hits either. 
Ride em if ya got em

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »

This is criminal and should NOT be done, period!  Pennies either...
So is tailgateing, but it's done.

you're supposed to know how to handle stuff like that without freaking out and throwing things. Its  the sign of very inexperienced rider.
Not saying ive never been pissed at a taligater but throwing things, come on thats very ignorant.You toss  objects down the road and hit the wrong car they might just run you down and flatten you . Yeah there are people out there that would.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:33:59 PM by zzr12pete »

Offline 2fast4u2c

• Site Supporter
  • Mad Post Whore
  • 300mph or bust in 1 mile
    • Tiger Racing Products
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
Loud Pipes saves lives.
Pretend your invisible and no one can see you, that way your never in a position you can't evade from if necessary.
I have even heard that those neon lite kits help make drivers more aware of the bike at night.
Don't do anything that would cause disrespect to another driver and be more polite.  Road Rage issues solved.
Wear the appropriate clothing of the day.  Cotton rubs thru in less than a second when used as a barrier between you and the pavement at 25mph, leather good, cotton bad, bare skin even worse.  I've seen accident victims who have rubbed their ear, shoulder and breast off on the pavement because of no protection clothing or helmet was worn.  She was a passenger wearing only a t-shirt and shorts bare footed. Nasty scene.
Official Site Supporter
Guy Caputo - Tiger Racing - 300mph or bust in the 1 mile

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 10:33:21 PM »
Well I won't get into a pissing match with you two. I never said I have used em but i do keep a hand full in my pocket, along with my Glock. I have many miles under my belt riding on the street(over 30 years) and have never had to use more than a simple hand gesture in those situations. The throttle works best to get away from tail gaiters, or pull over and let them by, it's better to avoid it than to get into an altercation with a 3000lb car. I have over a million miles safe driving on the road and because of my job have to take defensive driving tests and classes every year,and have seen damn near everything out there that people do instead of paying attention when their driving. I don't get road rage in my semi, car, or especially on the bike. Cagers treat motorcycles the same way they do Semi's, they just don't see em.
You have to treat EVERY vehicle on the road as if they don't see you no matter what your riding or driving.
Accidents can be avoided if you pay attention and drive defensively.

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 10:35:34 PM »
BRIGHT LIGHTS!!!! hid's all the way!!
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 10:43:22 PM »
I have to envy you! I am only at 999,998 miles.  :lol:
-Chris

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
Well I won't get into a pissing match with you two. I never said I have used em but i do keep a hand full in my pocket, along with my Glock.  

Rice Ya on a good day!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cwZplPJpyJA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cwZplPJpyJA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name=&quot;allowFullScreen</a>
-Chris

Offline Scott123007

• Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
Loud Pipes saves lives.
Pretend your invisible and no one can see you, that way your never in a position you can't evade from if necessary.
I have even heard that those neon lite kits help make drivers more aware of the bike at night.
Don't do anything that would cause disrespect to another driver and be more polite.  Road Rage issues solved.
Wear the appropriate clothing of the day.  Cotton rubs thru in less than a second when used as a barrier between you and the pavement at 25mph, leather good, cotton bad, bare skin even worse.  I've seen accident victims who have rubbed their ear, shoulder and breast off on the pavement because of no protection clothing or helmet was worn.  She was a passenger wearing only a t-shirt and shorts bare footed. Nasty scene.

Loud pipes piss most people off. Staying out of someones blind spot in the first place, saves lives.