Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: .5 offset triple clamps  (Read 13486 times)

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
.5 offset triple clamps
« on: February 22, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Just trying to figure out if I have enough room for .5 clamps.I still havethe stock busa frt end and with the ad moved up and back I have about 1.5" clearance with a 120/70/17.Is this enough with a lower tire.This clearance is closest to the turbo not the rad.An help would be great.
Tim any input.?

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: .5 offset triple clamps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
Normally the offset clamps are only used with a 16" front tire, and only in classes that have wheelbase restrictions so that a longer swingarm can be used. No real benefit if you aren;t going to lengthen teh seingarm unless you like the look.

If you have a need for them, be sure to measure with the suspension fully compressed and account for the flex of the forks during hard braking.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
I do race in our prostreet series here in Canada and have lots swingarm to use.We have one bike here that has a stock wheel.Pics are in he turbo section KenFs bike.Purple ultra prostreetbike.
Kens bike.(hope it's ok.)

clearance on my bike.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:13:45 PM »
 :thumb:

Just wanted to put it out there because many think the offset clamps will help them without lengthening the arm.

That tire looks pretty close to be moving the clamps back an additional .75"

Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:20:46 PM »
Thanks for your input.I have 1.5" with that 70 series tire.So I guess another .25 with a 5 series.Is .75 clearance enough?I am thinking of the Hayes triples.

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Would someone with off set frt be  willing to check how much clearance they have.
Thanks
Dan

Offline nitrousnick1

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »
I have .75 inch with stock 17 inch wheel. It is definately tight.
Best ET 7.69               2002 Busa,  RCC Race Kit,  AMS 1000
Best MPH 193.58

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:02:58 PM »
Thanks Nick,is that with busa forks and .5 offset?

Offline 2wicked

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • RCC Turbos
    • RCCTURBOS
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:49:54 PM »
Dan keep in mind every turbo system is different. To know for sure you would need to check on a hahn system, spacing and placement vary depending on the turbo and header. Our race kits with the 35R will fit but its tight, as on Kens bike.

Richard

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:09 PM »
Thanks Richard.I have about 1.5" now with a 120/70/17 tire.How much do I need.I will lose around .75"??

Offline Nem

• Mad Post Whore
    • BallOutRacing.org
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:24 PM »
Yank that 70 series tire and put a low pro 60

RCC Turbos
Bellman Oil Co.
VP Race Fuels
BoostbySmith
Cycle-Tek
Canadian Mike
Power Brokers Racing
Tiger Racing
Shamrock Racing
Rev'd Up Motorsports
Win Racing
Rock Solid
Schnitz Racing

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 10:38:17 PM »
Sounds like it will be close.What tire pilot race?How much does the .5 triples move the wheel?A full 1"?

Offline Nem

• Mad Post Whore
    • BallOutRacing.org
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
Heard the new michelin pure is shorter

Trees will bring it in 3/4"

RCC Turbos
Bellman Oil Co.
VP Race Fuels
BoostbySmith
Cycle-Tek
Canadian Mike
Power Brokers Racing
Tiger Racing
Shamrock Racing
Rev'd Up Motorsports
Win Racing
Rock Solid
Schnitz Racing

Offline Patrick10R

• Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 03:30:08 AM »
I wish I was fast enough to make a rules interpretation...

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »

Just wanted to put it out there because many think the offset clamps will help them without lengthening the arm.

Believe it or not but they do help even on short bikes, they move the weight more over the front of the bike.
02 Silver/Grey  Turbo Busa * T61 NLR kit*
04 Black SWB Turbo Busa * DBB stage 2*

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »
I hope so,I will only have 400hp and want to run a 7 badly.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »

Believe it or not but they do help even on short bikes, they move the weight more over the front of the bike.

Maybe I fell asleep in physics class? How does moving the front wheel , tire, brakes, and forks towards the rear of the bike move weight farther away from the pivot point,  the rear axle?

If you offset the forks in the opposite direction, moving everything further foreward, maybe, but not when you move it towards the rear.

No need to debate it here on gsxrdan's thread though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:56:38 PM by sportbikeryder »

Offline nitrousnick1

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »
I believe when you put the bike on 2 scales (front and rear wheel) there is a big weight transfer to the front with .5 trees. Heavier the front, harder to lift.
Best MPH 193.58

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
I believe when you put the bike on 2 scales (front and rear wheel) there is a big weight transfer to the front with .5 trees. Heavier the front, harder to lift.

The scales will show higher numbers for the front once the clamps are swapped. The front will be a little harder to lift by picking up on the front wheel. The front will be easier to lift if you do so by applying torque to the rear axle.

Think of the distance from the front axle to the rear as a cheater bar or other lever. When the bike launches, the torque at the rear wants to lift the front of the bike. Asume the front end assembly weighs 40 lbs. if your goal is to keep the front end down, would you rather push down on the front with the 40 lbs with a realy short lever or would you rather somehow push down with 40 lbs on the front with a 10 ft bar attached to the bike.

It's like a cheater bar on a wrench. The "tightess" of the bolt is similar to the rear wheel torque. Using a short wrench and pushing 40 lbs on it will not budge the tight bolt. Using a 10ft wrench and pushing down with 40 lbs will turn the bolt easier.

Short wrench is moving the front wheel back, Long wrench is leaving it alone.

If you also increase the swingarm length the same amount that you moved the front back, th ebike will be less wheelie prone. That said, it woudl be even better to leave the front wheel alone and make the arm longer.

I am not trying to be bitter guys, I just see alot of people spend money on parts that don't help them just because they see the "pro's" do it. In GSXRDAN's case, the offset should help (since he is moving the wheel back) in others, it is better to spend the money elsewhere.
John

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
Man looks like I started a worthwhile thread for once.I just figured that if the weight bias was place more on the front even with the  same length swingarm the front would want to stay down.I will greatfully use the extra 3/4" wheelbase.

Offline Blue Streak

• Post Master
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 01:28:25 PM »

The scales will show higher numbers for the front once the clamps are swapped. The front will be a little harder to lift by picking up on the front wheel. The front will be easier to lift if you do so by applying torque to the rear axle.

Think of the distance from the front axle to the rear as a cheater bar or other lever. When the bike launches, the torque at the rear wants to lift the front of the bike. Asume the front end assembly weighs 40 lbs. if your goal is to keep the front end down, would you rather push down on the front with the 40 lbs with a realy short lever or would you rather somehow push down with 40 lbs on the front with a 10 ft bar attached to the bike.

It's like a cheater bar on a wrench. The "tightess" of the bolt is similar to the rear wheel torque. Using a short wrench and pushing 40 lbs on it will not budge the tight bolt. Using a 10ft wrench and pushing down with 40 lbs will turn the bolt easier.

If you also increase the swingarm length the same amount that you moved the front back, th ebike will be less wheelie prone. That said, it woudl be even better to leave the front wheel alone and make the arm longer.

I am not trying to be bitter guys, I just see alot of people spend money on parts that don't help them just because they see the "pro's" do it. In GSXRDAN's case, the offset should help (since he is moving the wheel back) in others, it is better to spend the money elsewhere.
John

Not trying to get into a debate either but just as Nitrousnick said on a set of scales the front end is much heavier with offset clamps so it will be harder to lift the front wheel since you have now shifted more weight forward on the chassis. I can kind of see what your saying but  your examples are apples to oranges and doesn't really apply on these bikes since we are trying to keep the front end down and shifting the weight ballance towards the front does infact help it stay down.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:31:00 PM by Blue Streak »
02 Silver/Grey  Turbo Busa * T61 NLR kit*
04 Black SWB Turbo Busa * DBB stage 2*

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 04:01:16 PM »

John

Not trying to get into a debate either but just as Nitrousnick said on a set of scales the front end is much heavier with offset clamps so it will be harder to lift the front wheel since you have now shifted more weight forward on the chassis. I can kind of see what your saying but  your examples are apples to oranges and doesn't really apply on these bikes since we are trying to keep the front end down and shifting the weight ballance towards the front does infact help it stay down.

Ok, go buy the offset clamps and enjoy them. I'll stay with standard offset ones and eat some apples and oranges  :thumb: 8)

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
offsets move the cg forward and also lets a longer swingarm to be used to keep the same wb in class requirements..?
09 BUSA, PROBLEMCHILD II.... tuned with the factory ecu by ME!! thanks PETRIK, ridgeracer,and SMITHBUSA. ...  "FAMILY FIRST"...

Offline Kiwi

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 06:57:30 PM »
Sportbikeryder is correct on this one. It is basic physics. Although I do think the bikes stability improves when the offset on the trees is reduced. Probably because you are getting a bit more trail.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »
Sportbikeryder is correct on this one. It is basic physics. Although I do think the bikes stability improves when the offset on the trees is reduced. Probably because you are getting a bit more trail.

:thumb: It should add a bit more trail as mentioned.

Stocker, it actually moves the CG backwards (toward the rear axle) if you just offset the clamps. When the arm is then lengthened, it makes the cg end up farther forward from teh rear axle than before.

Woudl be better off just adding the length to the arm as far as the cg distance. The stability Kiwi mentioned may be beneficial, however, it is likely not a requirement in all but th efastest bikes that make the front light at the top end.

Offline Stocker64

• Post Whore
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »

:thumb: It should add a bit more trail as mentioned.

Stocker, it actually moves the CG backwards (toward the rear axle) if you just offset the clamps. When the arm is then lengthened, it makes the cg end up farther forward from teh rear axle than before.

Woudl be better off just adding the length to the arm as far as the cg distance. The stability Kiwi mentioned may be beneficial, however, it is likely not a requirement in all but th efastest bikes that make the front light at the top end.

cool,it is over my head... :thumb:
09 BUSA, PROBLEMCHILD II.... tuned with the factory ecu by ME!! thanks PETRIK, ridgeracer,and SMITHBUSA. ...  "FAMILY FIRST"...

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »
OK lets keep this one going,I just talked to a guy a couple nights ago that said his bike has better traction and definitely 60fts better with the offset clamps.

Offline nitrousnick1

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2010, 04:20:22 PM »
I have to disagree that the .5 inch clamps make the bike more stable. Not trying to stir up an arguement, I am only speaking from personal experience. I noticed a big change in handling.
Best MPH 193.58

Offline gsxrdan

• Post Whore
  • Where am I?
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
I wasn't sure about it either Nick sort of goes against anything I know about rake.Do you think it helped your 60's.What did you notice about the handling?

Offline Kiwi

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 02:55:17 AM »
I haven't ridden a bike with 0.5" trees but I have 0.75" trees on mine and thought stability felt better than the stock offset.