Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: My evolution of boost.  (Read 267092 times)

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Murderout07's Turbo build!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 03:04:32 PM »
Looking good! :thumb:

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »
Who's turbo kit did you order?

Offline Imbusabad

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 03:02:12 AM »
be patient.  It'll be worth ALL the money/stress sooner than you know...

Offline BEN

• Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:23 AM »
Who's turbo kit did you order?
stedmens stage 1 kit. It uses an Rcc header, dumps and fmu. Rich also does the fab work.  It just has a no name turbo on in. I talked to stedman last thursday and he said the kits were there, they were just waiting for the exhaust housings to come back from the welder. But I keep getting "it should ship on (insert day)".

Looking good my friend!Hang in there,I live about 15 min from Jay and have nothing but great service from Stedmens.He will get you taken care of.

Offline Imbusabad

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:17 AM »
it exists..  don't stress it too much..  one day you will wonder why you doubted them..  I know it's SOOOO hard to wait for, but it's worth it..  Jay is a SUPER busy guy and their new shop is GINORMOUS so they are not avoiding your calls on purpose although it may seem like it

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »
Looks like its going to be a lot of fun with a solid setup.  Kudos on the clean wiring work.  Do you use diodes on/in your relays?  I just wired up my bosch 044 pump in a similar manner.  I'm doing a stage 1 RCC kit, except using a standalone.
Official Site Donor
8.61@168.9 1.47 60' - E85 stock motor gen1 streetbike
My Autronic SM4 Stage 1 build

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:14 PM »
Looks like its going to be a lot of fun with a solid setup.  Kudos on the clean wiring work.  Do you use diodes on/in your relays?  I just wired up my bosch 044 pump in a similar manner.  I'm doing a stage 1 RCC kit, except using a standalone.
thank you! I've done this type of setup on a few diffrent bikes, and the only time you have to run diodes in line with the relays is if the relays are chattering when they are off. I've never had to on a busa.

An 044 on a stg1? That seems to be a bit over kill, maybe someone else can chime in. :thumb:

TURBOLAG: The split second the other guy thinks hes winning.

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2010, 01:12:35 PM »
thank you! I've done this type of setup on a few diffrent bikes, and the only time you have to run diodes in line with the relays is if the relays are chattering when they are off. I've never had to on a busa.

An 044 on a stg1? That seems to be a bit over kill, maybe someone else can chime in. :thumb:

It definitely is a bit overkill, however I did it for a few reasons:

1) I'm going to be running both 91 and e85, and e85 takes ~30% more fuel for the same boost.
2) I got a killer deal on a new Bosch 044 on sale
3) When it comes to fuel systems, it's much better to overbuild them than to underbuild them.

I am running a bosch 044 bump, a methanol safe filter, and ID1000 injectors :)
Official Site Donor

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
When read your first post I was thinkin e85, but I forgot to say that in the reply. 1:1 regulator I'd assume? My make sure you post your results with that set up. I know alot of guys on here are waiting to hear some sucess stories on boosted e85 bikes.

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
When read your first post I was thinkin e85, but I forgot to say that in the reply. 1:1 regulator I'd assume? My make sure you post your results with that set up. I know alot of guys on here are waiting to hear some sucess stories on boosted e85 bikes.

Correct, I have an old aeromotive 1:1 regulator from my turbo civic project (made 650whp on e85, 11:1 compression 2.0L).  I will start a build thread here as well, I'm close to firing it.  I'm surprised the majority of the bike world hasn't picked up on it yet, we've been running it for years here in automotive setups with great success.

So, with your build, you're putting in a .080 spacer right?  What have you determined to be the safe power levels on a spaced setup?  I've heard the stock rods are only good to 275, but I've heard people going higher as well, so I'm trying to figure out if the 275 limit is simply due to the rods themselves, or the compression of a 100% stock setup.
Official Site Donor

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »
300whp is the safe max on stock guts. 250whp is about your max with stock compression. However with e85, you should be able to safely make 300 whp, just for the pure fact combustion temps are gonna be way lower with the ethanol, which would decrease the chance for detonation. (that's just my speculation) I'm doing a spacer just because lower compression is always better for boost. Yes you can run 8psi on stock compression and make 250hp, but it's the "how long will it last" factor I want to get rid of. Many guys install stage 1 kits and never have a problem, however others (an alarming amount) installed the kit, and had it tuned by a good tuner, and had a meltdown a few weeks later. In my eyes, I think it cost me $300 for spacer, head gasket and cam gears. Alot better then $1500 for pistons and rods. Eventually I will upgrade those, but down the road. I just wanna get it on the road. OK, I'm off my soap box! :D

oh, I'm going to tune for 300, but turn it down to 250. One of the advantages to boost referenced fueling .

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
300whp is the safe max on stock guts. 250whp is about your max with stock compression. However with e85, you should be able to safely make 300 whp, just for the pure fact combustion temps are gonna be way lower with the ethanol, which would decrease the chance for detonation. (that's just my speculation) I'm doing a spacer just because lower compression is always better for boost. Yes you can run 8psi on stock compression and make 250hp, but it's the "how long will it last" factor I want to get rid of. Many guys install stage 1 kits and never have a problem, however others (an alarming amount) installed the kit, and had it tuned by a good tuner, and had a meltdown a few weeks later. In my eyes, I think it cost me $300 for spacer, head gasket and cam gears. Alot better then $1500 for pistons and rods. Eventually I will upgrade those, but down the road. I just wanna get it on the road. OK, I'm off my soap box! :D

oh, I'm going to tune for 300, but turn it down to 250. One of the advantages to boost referenced fueling .

You're correct, e85 will solve a ton of the issues with higher compression due to the lower combustion temps as well as the higher octane.  It will also make more power, especially on a non-intercooled setup :)

Does that 300whp on stock guts include stock head/case bolts?

I think you're wise to do it the way you did.  Better to get less headache now than have to fix a melted motor during riding season!  I'd love to see progress pictures of you dropping the motor, doing the spacer install, etc.  This is my first motorcycle build, and I think it would help to see someone else progress through it for future reference LOL

I personally am running 100% stock guts, for 2 reasons: first, I'm planning on running e85 most of the time, and second, I'm at high altitude (6500feet elevation), so the effective compression ratio is much lower up here.  If I do a compression test, the numbers are much lower at our altitude than for the same motor at sea level.

I'm only expecting around 200whp on 7psi on 91, simply due to the altitude.  When I log boost from a MAP sensor on the standalone, I typically see about 3psi less boost than a boost gauge shows.  So I'll see 7psi on my boost gauge and 4psi on my standalone (all due to altitude).  So, 4psi of boost on a motor that is "effectively" significantly lower compression than 11:1.  I figure 200whp is much safer than 250whp on stock internals on 91 octane.  Also, I'm running a standalone, so I'll tune the ignition time correctly.  I'm going to have to turn the boost up past 7psi to hit what most sea level guys make at 7psi, I'm guessing around 10psi.  Well, 10psi is heating the intake temps up more than 7, and without an intercooler, I'll have to rely on the e85 being my intercooler :)

So in short, I plan to tune 7psi on 91, then drain the tank, fill with e85, tune on 7psi the same day, and I'll post overlapping dyno graphs.  After I get used to it at 7psi, I'll install my old AMS1000 and turn it up to whatever boost it takes to make 300whp on e85 and get 'er dun :)
Official Site Donor

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
Sounds like you got it all planned out! 300hp is about the limit for head bolts I think the case bolts can goa bit more. Most guys upgrade the case bolts when they are installing rods and pistons..since it's apart that far. In doing pro mod head studs, again since it's apart. The example I used was from the minimal investment, and added saftey standpoint. But as always, it's always relitive to how much money you got to spend. :thumb:

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 02:20:42 PM »
Sounds like you got it all planned out! 300hp is about the limit for head bolts I think the case bolts can goa bit more. Most guys upgrade the case bolts when they are installing rods and pistons..since it's apart that far. In doing pro mod head studs, again since it's apart. The example I used was from the minimal investment, and added saftey standpoint. But as always, it's always relitive to how much money you got to spend. :thumb:

I'd do precisely the same thing, if/when I crack my motor.  Very eager to see your build, you've been asking a lot of the same questions as I have at around the same times with a similar goal I believe. I'm just a bit ahead of you on the build (bike is almost ready to fire now, hopefully tuning this weekend/early next week).
Official Site Donor

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
Oh don't worry, there will be plenty of pics. My engine sockets should be in by this weekend, then I'll drop that bitch out. I should hopefully have my kit next week.

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:27 PM »
Fuck yeah!! I JUST got my tracking numbers!

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Murderout07's Turbo build! TURBO PICS ADDED!
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 12:55:09 PM »
Today was one off the best mornings Ive had in along time! My kit showed up!!! Yes I know its a "Stedman kit" But its all RCC where it counts. So my engine sockets should be in this week so i can pull the motor, and do the work to it. But in the mean time I decided to set the turbo on..Just to see how it fits. And what a perfect fit it is! The one thing I can say is you really don't get an idea of the size of everything until its in your hands. I figured the air box and header would be alot bigger, but in fact they're TINY! However the turbo it damn big. I forgot how big the 50trims really were. So in the mean time, enjoy the pics, and you all KNOW ill keep em commin!

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 01:08:37 PM »
Nice!

Offline Grumpy 69

• Rider
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb:     looks great keep posting progress pics...... :thumb: :thumb:
not enough bullets to get em all.......but I can try......

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »
Looks damn nice! :thumb:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2010, 01:55:34 PM »
looks good :thumb:

Offline Mike-Nightrider

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
Nice  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Dragraceteam NIGHTRIDER
1/8: 5.101s..........1/4: 7.801s
227.7mph Woodbridge/GB 2013

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2010, 02:42:33 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm happy its here. And by the way if anyone wants to know what it was like to do business with Stedman, I did a wright up.
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=146110.new

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Good luck with those header bolts

Offline Canadian Mike

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2010, 04:36:55 PM »
who made the dump pies? stedman or rcc ?