Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Hayabusa camchain and guide installation with engine in chassis  (Read 4926 times)

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
I need to replace my camchain and likely all 3 guides in my early ('02) hayabusa, I'd prefer to do this with the engine in the chassis, rather than removing it.

Anyone ever do this? Any tips? Any comments?

Thanks in advance, I'd like to hear any and all thoughts on doing this  :thumb:
Thomas

Offline peanuthead

• Rider
Re: Hayabusa camchain and guide installation with engine in chassis
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 09:10:57 AM »
To be honest with you it would be very very difficult to change the cam chain,if not near imposible to change it in the chassis.

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »
It can be done but its MUCH easier to "tilt" the engine forward around the bottom engine mount and do it like that.
I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 11:03:36 AM »
I knew I had to at least tilt the engine forward, but as peanuthead stated, I'm wondering if I should just remove the engine from the chassis rather then wrestle with doing this with the engine in the frame... tilted or not  :wink:
Thomas

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
way easier with engine out.

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:03:14 PM »
You can chamge teh camchain in teh chassis without moving anything. Don't think you can do the one lower guide though. I have put a roller conversion in with teh engine in teh frame without tilting or even loosening any motor mount bolts.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 04:00:36 PM »
The roller conversion is one of the options I'm looking at.... it has the adjustable sprockets, doesn't need a top guide, and seems fairly bulletproof. Are there any negatives with a roller conversion on a bike that sees a lot of street miles?

Thanks for all the replies everyone  :thumb:
Thomas

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
You can chamge teh camchain in teh chassis without moving anything. Don't think you can do the one lower guide though. I have put a roller conversion in with teh engine in teh frame without tilting or even loosening any motor mount bolts.

True, only issue i see is maybe the center allen could be to tight to get it loose with the ball end, if so you just have to tilt it foward alittle to access it. But if your changing all guides the head must be lifted, and can be done in the frame unless you have studs then i just tilt it all the way foward, this is for the front guide only

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

True, only issue i see is maybe the center allen could be to tight to get it loose with the ball end, if so you just have to tilt it foward alittle to access it. But if your changing all guides the head must be lifted, and can be done in the frame unless you have studs then i just tilt it all the way foward, this is for the front guide only

:thumb: Steve. Yeah that center bolt to prevent the camchain from faling into the motor can be a bastard sometimes.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:31:54 PM »
great info.... thanks guys  :thumb:
Thomas