Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Build of my Turbo Busa  (Read 21145 times)

Offline chowda633

• Rider
Build of my Turbo Busa
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:24:32 AM »
Here it is folks the progress build of my Turbo Busa! Should have made this thread a long time ago but never got around to it.

Bought my 03 Hayabusa bone stock with 6k on the clock from a dealer in mass about a year ago now. Never sat on one, never rode one, just loved the look, style, and power of a busa. When I walked into the dealer that day it was my first time ever sitting on one! I fell and love and to this day its been the best purchase I have made in a long time.

I owned a CBR 600 before the Busa but I just wanted bigger. Rode the Busa all summer with a few mods and then the idea of a turbo busa came about and land speed also came to mind. I had gone 10.9 on the busa in stock form on my first pass ever on a motorcycle and took it as a sign. I had been trying to go 10's in my DSM for 6+ years and here I go 10.9 first time ever going down the track on a bike! It was time to change...

I finished out the year with a best of a 10.4 in the stock form and the transformation began shortly after the season closed. I tossed around the idea of selling my current race car in order to fund the turbo build which would be nothing short of expensive! I had a long talk with my main sponsor/builder in Maine and we decided it was time to move out of the turbo DSM world and into the turbo busa world.

To make a long story short my sponsor/builder took in trade my old race car for Paint/Powder coating/ Engine build. Paint and powder coating came out perfect but I got burned on the Engine part. Long story there...

The way I met the main builder/sponsor was through one of the local forums and I just happened to look at his location and turned out he was right in fall river! He has built many Turbo bikes and multiple fast cars and has been racing since he was 19 and is 30 something now. He has a wealth of knowledge and is extremely smart and a very down to earth guy. I approached him about the idea of turbo charging my busa and how I was going to go about it selling my current race car etc. at the time. I should have made this thread way back then but due to time constraints just never got around to it.

Here is his site and some of his rides. He owns 2 turbo Hayabusa's and 1 Turbo GSXR 1000

http://www.ruthlessperformancemotorsports.com/

Here is a few of his bikes.

Here is his GSXR 1000 that he built from top to bottom including paint! Motor work and all done by him. Idles and responds like a stock 1000!

Finally got this thread over here. With the passing of my Grandfather and numerous other things never got a chance to put this thread where it truly belongs here on this site!

First thing I acquired on my quest was a full enclosed trailer for the bike. Got a hell of a deal on it! 1k!

Here is a pic of it just before we tore it apart. It ran perfectly fine and was sitting at about 9k miles. Ran like a top.

Here is the break down of the bike last year.

Offline chowda633

• Rider
Re: Build of my Turbo Busa
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:25:03 AM »
It spent the next few months getting powder coated and repainted and multiple other things done. Here is the pics from the day I picked it up.

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
Here is the motor that "Supposedly" got built. But come to find out the builder took it apart and never did anything! The builder was up in Maine not a local guy to me.

Last weeks beginning build of the bike finally coming back together! Curtsy of the crew at RPM where the bike resides now.

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »
Few Parts I that came in.

New seat with backing.

Mint Headlight

Co2 Shifter Kit

Offline nickelcityracing

• Post Master
    • nickelcityracing.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »
the portable garage looks like a chop shop...  :hys:  keep up the work....
Trillium Muir  241.3 mph
Jody-242.2 mph
Thanks RCC-JE-MTC-Elka-Canadian Mike-Suzuki Canada-Pazzo-Brocks-Hindle-North Bay cycle-Crower Rods

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 03:24:32 PM »
Looks like fun! :thumb:

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »
Man.......isn't it cold up in Mass this time of the year?

You're build looks good and I'm sure Joey will point you in the right direction with everything.  Keep posting the pics and good luck. :thumb:

Jason
Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa
Ninja 250.........daily driver

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:11:40 AM »
the portable garage looks like a chop shop...  :hys:  keep up the work....

Ha! More like a mobile meth lab!

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 11:17:57 AM »
UPDATE!!!

Latest...

Brand New Tial V-Band 38mm Wastegate New compact model

New HKS SSQ BOV Limited Black edition

Motor in!

Turbo and Mani mounted Turbo is a 50 Trim :D

Intake Filter, FMIC, Intake Mani, and a few other things on.

EXCELLENT work Joey! Guy is unreal on building these things! Amazing work, craftsmanship, and communication with the customer!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:48:21 AM by chowda633 »

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:13:18 PM »
Nice! :thumb:

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 01:54:58 PM »
FMIC is DEAD Leaks like a siv! In the market for a .45 to kill the kid who sold this kit to me originally because the only part on the bike from it now was the I/C and that is garbage too! Anyone know of a Water to Air I/C for sale? Only good news is that the Wastegate has been fabbed up and the exhaust is getting done too at a rapid rate.

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Good luck with the build

Offline twolf

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
this is some serious ish!!! U guys a have full fab shop deal going  on there!!!!
awwijuswanagofasnfasser

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
this is some serious ish!!! U guys a have full fab shop deal going  on there!!!!

Yes sir! Check out this work :D

Wastegate is on. FMIC is Fubared guy completely burned me on it. In the market for a FMIC if anyone has one!

38mm Tial V-Band Wastegate

Setup on the bike

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:47:42 AM by chowda633 »

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 10:06:22 AM »

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 08:46:52 AM »
Exhaust is done!

Offline atticdog

• Post Master
  • RIP DaveO my friend
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »
in the final pic the exit tip has been shortened and turned down abit

its looks awesome!
01 Black/Silver,08 GSXR fork/wheels, Pyramid DB, Corbin seat, gsxr1K footpegs, spedo healer, PCIII USB, 6 over Trac arm and Boosted!!

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 09:57:31 AM »
Welding is all set! Just needs to be wired and the fuel system sorted out and the turbo blanket and exhaust wrap added then we can fire her up!

Joey's Turbo Busa the owner of RPM

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2010, 11:43:20 AM »
Crew from RPM was at it again this weekend!

Bike is fully mechanically together now wiring this week into next and we will fire her up!

Trying something new... Added a lava rock turbo blanket and exhaust wrap to see how much of a difference on cooling we can make.

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2010, 12:19:45 PM »
Added this in to go along with the mini squirt system:
 SB6 Ignition System

Special Features:
   Direct Plug-in Connectors
   Fully Sealed Controller
   Time Programmable Rev Launch Limiter
   0-15 Degrees Programmable Time Based Progressive Nitrous Retard
   Built-in Engine-Run Hour Meter
   Advance/Retard of OE Timing
   15 Seconds of Data Acquisition
   Programmable Shift Light Output Per Gear
   Advance or retard the factory timing +6°/-20°
   Load up to 10 timing curves
   On-board data acquisition
   Set rpm points for shift light and intensity of light 
   Plug-n-play installation
   Sensor input 0-5 volts for TPS,O2 or Map Sensor
   Shift kill and shift kill delay

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
New FMIC in!

Multi Stage in!

BOV and Intake installed

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:43:57 PM by chowda633 »

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 10:56:41 AM »
Man your project is really coming along!  When it's done you're going to be way happy! :thumb: :thumb:

With your turbo shield is that thing going to allow heat to release?  I've always wondered about those shields because if the turbo isn't allowed to release heat you're limiting the cooling of it causing the oil to cook and coke the channels.  Ultimately I would think that would be bad long term because if the oil cooks and cokes the oil volume will decrease causing turbo bearing failure.

Personally if it were mine I'd run the bike for at least 10 minutes after boosting to allow the turbo time to cool off with oil flow.  I could be wrong regarding this turbo oil coking issue but we've got a similar issue here at work that still hasn't been remedied.

Maybe somebody who has real life experience with this issue can chime in

Jason

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
Thank you! Man I am pumped you have no idea! I think Joey is too he just wants to get this nightmare over lol. The turbo heat shield will channel the heat out the exhaust it will cause the exhaust heat to exit faster from the turbo and exhaust the actual turbo blanket wrap's tightly around the hot side essentially keeping the heat just in the hot side. But you got some good points there hopefully someone else chimes in on this too. We will never know if someone does not try it though!

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2010, 10:29:35 PM »
IT RUNS!!!! But then battery died hahaha. More pics and videos when the new battery comes in.

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 01:09:44 PM »
Ok folks it is up! These video there is no boost just break in miles. Today going to tune for boost as long as all goes well!

Startup when build was finished
YouTube - Turbo Hayabusa walk around.

250 mile marker run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5-Xc7fZu-g

Offline BATTMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2010, 01:47:32 PM »
really nice build. Take it to the dyno and break it in there.  Then you wont have to wait 500 miles to boost it...LOL

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 04:59:46 AM »
Good job man! where did you get that extention to to run the lock up with the stock cover?

TURBOLAG: The split second the other guy thinks hes winning.

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
Congrats......the bike looks great.  I'm sure you're going to enjoy the crap out of it! :thumb:

Is that fire station where you work or is it just parked there?

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa

Offline chowda633

• Rider
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 10:27:04 PM »
Good job man! where did you get that extention to to run the lock up with the stock cover?

Thank you! I think RPM sent it out to MTC and they did it in house. Planning on switching over to a quick access cover if your interested in it :D

Congrats......the bike looks great.  I'm sure you're going to enjoy the crap out of it! :thumb:

Thanks! Believe or not I actually live there! I live in the bunk room hell its free rent and its not different than living in the barracks in Camp Lejeune ha. Actually had a crazy day today 4 accidents one was a 7 Car pile up on 95 and another one a guy was drunk smoked the back of a tractor trailer and hit a telephone pole. Had to use 2 sets of jaws of life and life flighted him out of there.

really nice build. Take it to the dyno and break it in there.  Then you wont have to wait 500 miles to boost it...LOL

Yes! I rode like a maniac for 3 days to get the miles done! Its all set now just having some issues with the mini squirt Joey at RPM is going to attack it Sat. Dyno very very soon!

One more video from the cruise the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7uzvbl6f8o

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 06:00:26 AM »

Thank you! I think RPM sent it out to MTC and they did it in house. Planning on switching over to a quick access cover if your interested in it :D

Congrats......the bike looks great.  I'm sure you're going to enjoy the crap out of it! :thumb:

Thanks! Believe or not I actually live there! I live in the bunk room hell its free rent and its not different than living in the barracks in Camp Lejeune ha. Actually had a crazy day today 4 accidents one was a 7 Car pile up on 95 and another one a guy was drunk smoked the back of a tractor trailer and hit a telephone pole. Had to use 2 sets of jaws of life and life flighted him out of there.

really nice build. Take it to the dyno and break it in there.  Then you wont have to wait 500 miles to boost it...LOL

Yes! I rode like a maniac for 3 days to get the miles done! Its all set now just having some issues with the mini squirt Joey at RPM is going to attack it Sat. Dyno very very soon!

One more video from the cruise the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7uzvbl6f8o

I lived at the fire station for a short period of time.  Lucky for me I just visit now. :lol:

Keep up the good work and post up some dyno results when the time comes. :thumb:

Jason

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa