Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Stedman motorsprts ( SRP turbo kit ) **updated**  (Read 13712 times)

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
Stedman motorsprts ( SRP turbo kit ) **updated**
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »
I just received my SRP turbo kit. And I just want everyone to know my experience with Jay since he had a bad reputation about 6 years ago. I came across his turbo kit on hayabusaparts.com. I saw the price, and had to ask about it. His stage1 kit uses a RCC header, FMU, dump pipes, and airbox. It uses  an aremotive fuel pump, and tial wastegate. Then for $200 extra, you can get the Stedman version of a tial blow off valve. Where most the money is saved is on the turbo unit its self. However after talking with other people, I've found several that have been running Jays turbos for many years with no problems. Other areas that I can see where cost was cut is with the VDO boost gauge, no instructions, map, and the packaging sucked. I received 2 boxes. One with the turbo unit, and the other with all the rest of the parts. The turbo box had been tossed around bad, and so much that the box was torn open a bit. The turbo had no bubble wrap on it, just wrapped with papper. There was damage on the turbo, on the compressor housing, where they added the elbow. I was able to bend it back, its fine now. The only complaints on the other box is, it was packed a bit loose.

Communication: Over all, between talking to Jay, and Joe, It was pretty good. However there were a few phone calls, and emails that I didn't get a response to. Jay is a pretty damn nice guy though.

The Wait: The wait is painfully long to get one of "his" kits. Since the only thing Jay actually makes is the blow off valves, and he modifies the turbos for an external wastegate. Everything else has to be built, and shipped to him. I waited about 3 weeks for mine, another local guy waited about 4 for his.

Parts: All of the parts showed up with nothing missing. All of the pieces are quality. The only thing I'm not that happy about is the boost gauge that came with it. Even if it came with a better one, I still wouldn't of used it, I ordered a real nice AEM one.

Cost: For the stage 1 kit, Stedmans blow off valve add on option, and shipping, it came to $3100.00USD to my door. Cant beat that.

Final thoughts: Despite Jays past I can honestly say that I think he did a good job with the kit, and answering my questions and concerns. I am happy with the kit, and its worth the money I paid for it. However I can say I was a bit nervous about it, but I'm glad I gave him a chance. The worst part was the wait, but he told me from the get go that it would take about as long as it did, so I cant say I wasn't for warned. Id recommend anyone else to buy one of these. For the a street bike, this kit will do plenty fine. I'm not to worried about the lack of instructions because Ive done so much research on this site, that i don't have any questions about it, and overall I know where everything goes, and how to set it up. And if I do have a question, I know if I cant get the answer from jay, I can always find someone who knows on here. Any questions feel free to PM me. And if you want to see pics of the kit, click below and look on page two.http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=145731.0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 07:11:08 AM by murderedout07 »

TURBOLAG: The split second the other guy thinks hes winning.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
Re: Stedman motorsprts
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 02:44:15 PM »
Great testimonial!  :thumb:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Stedman motorsprts
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:51:32 PM »
Thank you, that's the kind of reveiw I would of liked to of read, so I figured that's how I would do mine.

Offline Coryonbusa

• Mad Post Whore
Re: Stedman motorsprts ( SRP turbo kit )
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:31:53 PM »
:thumb:

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »
good write up :thumb:

Offline jgennaro

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 09:13:46 PM »
Nice objective write up.

Don't worry about the boost gauge.  I'll send you one with the cams.   I'll give you the one on the left:

Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure.

Aldous Huxley 1894-1963

2008 Hayabusa
Ninja 250.........daily driver

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »
 :thumb: Stand up gift, J!
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline ktw88q

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »
And the one on the right to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:13:08 AM »
And the one on the right to me!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:
maybe you would like to add your experience with stedman, since yours was slightly diffrent.

Offline ktw88q

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 09:18:58 AM »
I do think it is a great kit. Now it was missing a few things that they next dayed to me, We all have missed things at times and they fixed it with no bs... So I am happy and would do it again...

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
That's cool, they were out of air filters when they sent my kit. Joe knew that and said I would have it next week. How bad is the airbox?

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »
I just wanted to put an update since I'm about done with the bike. This is part of a post I did on someone elses post asking about an srp kit.

I was one of the lucky ones, I got my kit close to when he said it would ship, and I got everything with it becides the air filter, but they called me and told me it would ship a week later, they just wanted to get the kit to me. I thought that was cool. However due to the shitty packaging  the compressor cover elbow was bent, and the wastegate dump was dinged a bit. I was able to straighten the dings out. Still shit was just tossed in a box, and shipped. It gets you pissed lookin at alot of money you just spent tossed together. Another guy right by me was missing alot of parts, and his air box was smashed due to poor packing. Another friend waited like 6 or 7 weeks for his kit after getting promise after promise that it was gonna ship. He finally called and cancelled his order. When he did that, he was told it was gonna ship the day. He still cancelled it out of principal.

The kit comes with no instructions. You have to go one the srp site to look at them. Jay just cut and paisted the directions from the "ghetto" install directions from this site. This kit is way diffrent from the instructions as far as how fuel lines are run, oil feed, air box ect... The oil feed fitting for the turbo that comes with the kit feeds oil from a spot on the engine that no one ever uses, or knows if it's safe to use. So I had to order one from rcc, so I knew it would be getting oil from a safe place. The kit description promises a k&n filter, but it's really a "specture" filter you can buy at autozone. That filter has also been found to rob 40hp. The boost gauge that comes with the kit is a shitty vdo gauge that only shows boost.

The fittment of the parts is perfect. However I added the blow off valve option. Jay makes his "own" blow off valves, they look just like a tial, and are the same dementions. Well the one he sent me diddnt look like either, and is actually taller then a tial. My tank would not close all the way. I have a tial on my can, so I swapped it on my bike and I clears. I told jay about it and he said he would ship me out a tial asap. That was 3 weeks ago.

So now that the bikes all together, and running awsome what do I think? The kit is awsome. The bikes stupid fast. And for what I spent, you couldn't beat it. However, I did have to spend some extra money to make the kit a bit better. Diffrent air filter, oil feed fitting, boost gauge... I think that's it. I haven't had time to get it tuned, but I've been street tuning it. But the big question is, how long with the no name turbo last? That's where most the money is saved on this kit. It could last a season, but I also know of a few people that are running steadmens no name turbos for many many years. It's part of the gamble, and I knew this going into it. But I figured if the turbo shits the bed, Im money ahead and I got the bike on the street a year sooner then if I would of waited to get the money to get a kit from Rich.

Final thoughts? I personally love the kit, but I knew I was gonna have to change a thing or two about it, and I heard the horrior stories about steadmen. But that was years ago, so I gave him a try. My friend that got the kit that was all jacked up, steadmen made it right, and even sent him a check for the parts he was missing from the kit, and had to buy. But that also took about 4 weeks for that to happen. He also paid for a tial blow off valve, and was sent a steadmen blow off. He's still waiting for his tial, just like me. I'd say if you don't know anything about turbo chargers, and turbo bikes in general, I'd say DO NOT BUY THIS KIT!! Steadmens costumer support sucks balls. But I've reserched turbo busas for a year befor buying, so I knew how to install it. I also have years of experience with turbo cars. If your not mechanically inclined, or don't know alot about turbo bikes, or cars spend the extra money and get an RCC kit. The directions are so simple a 5th grader could install the kit. Everything  is labeled too. But if you do have any questions, you can call or email rich, and he will always get back to you, most of the time within mins. Also and srp kit can take up to 5 weeks befor you see it, with rcc it's about 2 and you don't have to worry about it showing up all fucked up. Hope this helps. If you look on my signiture, there is a link to my install. And if you do go srp, feel free to ask me any questions, I don't mind giving help.

Offline ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
Re: Stedman motorsprts ( SRP turbo kit ) **updated**
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:06:56 PM »
I just wanted to put an update since I'm about done with the bike. This is part of a post I did on someone elses post asking about an srp kit.

I was one of the lucky ones, I got my kit close to when he said it would ship, and I got everything with it becides the air filter, but they called me and told me it would ship a week later, they just wanted to get the kit to me. I thought that was cool. However due to the shitty packaging  the compressor cover elbow was bent, and the wastegate dump was dinged a bit. I was able to straighten the dings out. Still shit was just tossed in a box, and shipped. It gets you pissed lookin at alot of money you just spent tossed together. Another guy right by me was missing alot of parts, and his air box was smashed due to poor packing. Another friend waited like 6 or 7 weeks for his kit after getting promise after promise that it was gonna ship. He finally called and cancelled his order. When he did that, he was told it was gonna ship the day. He still cancelled it out of principal.

The kit comes with no instructions. You have to go one the srp site to look at them. Jay just cut and paisted the directions from the "ghetto" install directions from this site. This kit is way diffrent from the instructions as far as how fuel lines are run, oil feed, air box ect... The oil feed fitting for the turbo that comes with the kit feeds oil from a spot on the engine that no one ever uses, or knows if it's safe to use. So I had to order one from rcc, so I knew it would be getting oil from a safe place. The kit description promises a k&n filter, but it's really a "specture" filter you can buy at autozone. That filter has also been found to rob 40hp. The boost gauge that comes with the kit is a shitty vdo gauge that only shows boost.

The fittment of the parts is perfect. However I added the blow off valve option. Jay makes his "own" blow off valves, they look just like a tial, and are the same dementions. Well the one he sent me diddnt look like either, and is actually taller then a tial. My tank would not close all the way. I have a tial on my can, so I swapped it on my bike and I clears. I told jay about it and he said he would ship me out a tial asap. That was 3 weeks ago.

So now that the bikes all together, and running awsome what do I think? The kit is awsome. The bikes stupid fast. And for what I spent, you couldn't beat it. However, I did have to spend some extra money to make the kit a bit better. Diffrent air filter, oil feed fitting, boost gauge... I think that's it. I haven't had time to get it tuned, but I've been street tuning it. But the big question is, how long with the no name turbo last? That's where most the money is saved on this kit. It could last a season, but I also know of a few people that are running steadmens no name turbos for many many years. It's part of the gamble, and I knew this going into it. But I figured if the turbo shits the bed, Im money ahead and I got the bike on the street a year sooner then if I would of waited to get the money to get a kit from Rich.

Final thoughts? I personally love the kit, but I knew I was gonna have to change a thing or two about it, and I heard the horrior stories about steadmen. But that was years ago, so I gave him a try. My friend that got the kit that was all jacked up, steadmen made it right, and even sent him a check for the parts he was missing from the kit, and had to buy. But that also took about 4 weeks for that to happen. He also paid for a tial blow off valve, and was sent a steadmen blow off. He's still waiting for his tial, just like me. I'd say if you don't know anything about turbo chargers, and turbo bikes in general, I'd say DO NOT BUY THIS KIT!! Steadmens costumer support sucks balls. But I've reserched turbo busas for a year befor buying, so I knew how to install it. I also have years of experience with turbo cars. If your not mechanically inclined, or don't know alot about turbo bikes, or cars spend the extra money and get an RCC kit. The directions are so simple a 5th grader could install the kit. Everything  is labeled too. But if you do have any questions, you can call or email rich, and he will always get back to you, most of the time within mins. Also and srp kit can take up to 5 weeks befor you see it, with rcc it's about 2 and you don't have to worry about it showing up all fucked up. Hope this helps. If you look on my signiture, there is a link to my install. And if you do go srp, feel free to ask me any questions, I don't mind giving help.

Has this all been corrected? Did you get the K&N filter you paid for in a timely manner? Are the instructions on the website now current? Did you ever receive the Tial wastegate you were promised? Were the items that were damage in shipping promptly replaced?
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »

Has this all been corrected? Did you get the K&N filter you paid for in a timely manner? Are the instructions on the website now current? Did you ever receive the Tial wastegate you were promised? Were the items that were damage in shipping promptly replaced?
The directions still are the ones from the "ghetto" kit. The K&N filter was the other guys. Even after I got sent the tial BOV wich isnt as tall as the "SRP" it still hits the tank because the flange was welded on so high. I cant even run the heat sheild under the tank. The only damage I had was on the elbo off the compressor side of the turbo, it was bent up pretty bad. before i straightend it out, I called, and as usuale got a hold of Joe, and I probably would of gotten a better response if he just held the phone up to his ass, and farted in to it.  :? So I took the task on myself, and its fine now, but when the fed ex guy hands you a box with your turbo in it, and it looks like the box has been used as a soccar ball because the box collapsed due to no packing inside. The bolts in the exhaust housing were sticking out the bottom of the box, as well as the flange.That really makes you mad knowing how much money you spent. The guy kevin (KT88Q) Got it really bad, and I even asked him to share his story, but he didnt. Im willing to bet that he did not want to because if steadman read about the guy trashing him, he wouldnt get his parts, and I dont blame him. That guys plenum was smashed, he paid extra for an actual Tial bov, but got a knock off. The description also promised a tial wastegate, he got a knock off. He was also missing charge pipe, clamps, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Yes it was finally corrected, but it took forever.

Offline ADMIN

• Administrator
  • Post Master
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »
Thank you, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You gave them a chance after reading bad reviews and still got this result. Edit your first post,  people may not read past to the rest of the story.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:37:02 AM by ADMIN »
Closed course. Professional rider. Do not attempt.

Still privately owned and operated by Hayabusa owner enthusiasts. 2002, small  a/a kit, CF body

If it's in a truck or trailer, it's being stolen

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »
Thank you, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You gave them a chance after reading bad reviews and still got this result. Edit your first post,  people may not read past to the rest of the story.

No need to apalogize for other peoples mistakes. But it is good your bringing to proper light to the situation.