Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Transmission problem?  (Read 6900 times)

Offline grtwhthntr82

• Apprentice Post Whore
Transmission problem?
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
I went riding the other day to discover my bike had started to make a weird noise form the transmission end. If the bike is sitting and idling it only makes a weird rattling noise if it is in neutral. If you hold the clutch in then it stops. And if it goes down the road it makes a sound like something is rattling around in the bottom. Any ideas as to what it could be? I was told it might be something to do with my clutch?

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
Re: Transmission problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:44:52 AM »
Make sure it is full of the correct oil.

How many miles are on the bike?  Sometimes the clutch basket will get worn if its got a lot of miles and make a rattle at idle, it doesn't really hurt any thing just makes noise.

Describe your noise on the road, does it happen under heavy load? light load? slowing down?
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
Sounds like it could be the clutch basket, but as Flat said need a bit more information
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline grtwhthntr82

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:08:51 PM »
I pulled my clutches and basket out today and it was fine. It makes a ratteling noise when it idles, it gets worse on a heavy load and it doesn't go away no matter how easy you are on it.  The bike has 24k on it. I use only Spectro full synthetic.  The noise almost sounds like something is slapping on the inside of the bottom of the motor/trans.

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:52:24 PM »
Since the noise stops when you pull the clutch in its not a motor problem, its got to be something in the clutch or trans.  Was the bike shifting good and staying in gear the last time out?

Its kinda unusual to have a trans failure in a busa unless something brought it on; mega power, or many,many 1/4 mile passes, or continually missing shifts, and usually that will show as popping out of gear and not a noise.    What year is the bike?

Double check the fit of the clutch plates in the basket and on the hub, they should have almost rotational movement on the splines.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline grtwhthntr82

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »
It's an 04 limited edition. It slipped out of gear once, and it was shifting hard from first to second gear. It seems worse when the bike is in neutral and idling rather then being in gear nad the clutch pulled in. I'm lost on this one, I have never herd of a pretty much stock Busa having trans problems. I don't race it, and the only mods i have are the pipes, power comander, air filter, and it is geared up three in the rear.

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »
The shifting hard duning the 1-2 shift would kinda point me in the trans direction.

See if you can put the clutch back in and have a good local bike mechanic listen to it and see what he thinks, before ya take it apart.

It is unusual for a near stock, non-abused busa to have a mechanical failure of any kind, with that low of miles.

Maybe someone with a similar experience will chime in.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline grtwhthntr82

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 10:56:54 PM »
Yeah I am gonna have a mechanic look at it tomorrow. I am totally stumped on it. I read that the 2nd gear likes to wear out in those. Who knows. It's been a good bike so far and it handles all the hot suppers I've given it on the highway. Hopefully the fix won't hurt the wallet too bad.

Offline suzuski

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 09:09:05 PM »
check the studs that you bolt your springs to on the hub........................

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:14:10 PM »
check the studs that you bolt your springs to on the hub........................

I don't think its the clutch, grtwhthntr82 should have noticed something while disassembling it.

When ya find the problem would ya post up what ya find?
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline grtwhthntr82

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 10:26:32 PM »
Clutch is fine, nothing broken in there at all. I will be finding out what is wrong with it tomorrow.

Offline grtwhthntr82

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:00:14 PM »
Second gear is shot. I ordered a new set of gears and a new gear shaft.

Offline STUNNAH

• Post Master
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
While it's out have the gears undercut at least 1 thru 3 so you want have the problem again...Also have the shaft metered to make certain it is not bent...
Getting "Blown" is a hell-of-a drug...STUNNAH...