Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: I have a CONFESSION!  (Read 3189 times)

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
I have a CONFESSION!
« on: April 03, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »
Ive been thinking and driving myself crazy what could have caused my bike to go wrong all of a sudden?  It didn't do it all all last year through all of the heat......no overheating!

Then it was like a lightbulb.....the very first time my bike overheated.

I remember it was right before it got really cold and I was still riding, I was about to get off work and went to start my bike up to let it warm up and I moved the idler switch up to speed up the engine.  Well something happened at work and I ended up staying inside for like 20 minutes and forgot I left it running with it idling high!

By the time I got out there it had gotten so hot it started to pop paint off of the bottom of my bike.  So i hurried up and shut it down to cool off and well it stayed hot for a long time and would start back up.

I should have ridden it to cool it down because the night was very cool, but I didn't. 

What do you think I could have screwed up?  This was the first overheating on my bike and has doing it since, but remember it still only does it in slow traffic and at stops after hitting the highway letting errrr Rip!

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
Re: I have a CONFESSION!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:46:21 PM »
Well if the easy fixes arent working, its time to pull the motor.sorry bro :(

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:49:44 PM »
Well if the easy fixes arent working, its time to pull the motor.sorry bro :(

You thnk it's that serious :shock:????

I sure the hell hope not! 

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
compression/leak down tests, look for anything that may not be like the others kinda thing. Start with all your bassic tests, preassure test your coolant system, make sure you didnt split something out. You got to be like a doctor with a blank check, perform every test known to man, then cut that mother open.  :hys:
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
Yeah. When my zx11 was doing that, it had over heated like that and actually blew the radiator hose.Thats when I started trying to find the problem which turned out to be a cracked block. But, if it heated up that bad there's a good chance something like that may have happened. Maybe warped your head.Do a compression check and take all plugs out. Possible head gasket problem and a compression check will show this but then again, it may not show anything untill it heats up. Hope its an easy fix though. Sucks trying to figure stuff out like this :(

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 08:32:08 PM »
 Was youre coolant fan functioning ? If not its likely you blew a headgasket.Cant imagine if it was that cool of a night that it would overheat that bad unless fan was not working (fuse?)..Stock motor?

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 08:34:25 PM »
 Was coolant temp gauge pegged ?

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:22:03 AM »
Was coolant temp gauge pegged ?

What doesn Pegged mean?  Does that mean did I screw it up?  If so it's a possibilty?

Offline FASBUS

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »
Pegged=max gauge out ,full hot.