Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 03' Hayabusa Overheating Options exhausted?  (Read 26319 times)

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
03' Hayabusa Overheating Options exhausted?
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »
Okay I've been on another forum and got alot of help and was referred to this forum saying that there was alot more technical expertise on here.  My 03' started overheating a short while ago.  Now technically it's not overheating because the flow tank is bubbling or overflowing and I'm not losing any coolant?  However, my line is running up to the H while sitting in traffic and low speeds around town.  It didn't do this at all last summer in 100+ degree weather so I don't believe that it's meant to do it. 
We've switched to engine ice and burped the system and I'm getting the thermostat swapped out as we speak so I won't know the results on that until I get her back today or tomorrow.
This Suzuki Shop has had my bike 3 different times and still can't come to a conclusion?
I recently switched over to a 4-2-1 Yoshi full exhaust system, but I believe it was occasionally starting to overheat right before that just not as bad.  When I switched over I didn't know that I need a Power Commander to have my bike mapped so I will probably be getting this done right after I get the thermostat switched out.
Any other ideas..........I'm exhausted and frustrated from dealing with this!

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
Re: 03' Hayabusa Overheating Options exhausted?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
Does it run normal temp out on the highway? when your ripping on it?

Check to make sure that your cooling fan comes on when the gauge is at half or just over half.

Shoot the hot side of the radiator with an infrared temp gun when it is running hot to see if it really is hot or, the gauge and senderare just reading off.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
Yes on the highway it doesn't overheat I'm getting plenty of air into it so it doesn't.  The fan does come on about just a tic over the halfway mark.  But it continues to climb on the gauge if I'm sitting still or in slow traffic?
Then if I cut the bike off, I guess my battery is not strong enough from all of the tension or whatever and it won't cut back on?  So I have to wait for a while to cool it down or jump it off by pushing it.  So I'm going to buy a new battery that has at least 235 Cold Cranking Amps.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
Are you running a Muzzy fan?

What fluids are you mixing?

Have you thought of a manual switch on your fan?

Have you changed your temp switch out to a Honda Accord type?

Bubbling in the reservoir can mean one of two things - air in the system or head gasket.

Who is burping the system - are they doing it right and waiting for the fan to come on and then RE-burping?
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
Are you running a Muzzy fan?

What fluids are you mixing?

Have you thought of a manual switch on your fan?

Have you changed your temp switch out to a Honda Accord type?

Bubbling in the reservoir can mean one of two things - air in the system or head gasket.

Who is burping the system - are they doing it right and waiting for the fan to come on and then RE-burping?
I have thought of a manual switch and muzzy fan but alot of mechanics say that's not necessary especially since my bike never used to overheat?  No mixing fluids just Engine Ice.  There is no bubbling in the reservoir that's why they're saying technically it's not really overheating.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:12:15 PM »
  However, my line is running up to the H while sitting in traffic and low speeds around town.  It didn't do this at all last summer in 100+ degree weather so I don't believe that it's meant to do it.  
We've switched to engine ice and burped the system and I'm getting the thermostat swapped out as we speak so I won't know the results on that until I get her back today or tomorrow.
This Suzuki Shop has had my bike 3 different times and still can't come to a conclusion?

Are you capable of doing this work yourself? You say it's been to Suzuki dealer 3 times and last summer it didn't do this at all?  :?

Since last summer, the Exhaust was added? Did they take the radiator off then?

In the 3 times that it has been back to the shop,, have they filled and re-filled trying to purge out any known air still to send you on your way with no resolve?
-Chris

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14:45 PM »
I can't believe they would say that having any additional cooling like a manual switch and especially a Muzzy fan wouldn't be helpful. :roll: Do you know how many people here run those? Especially if you are going to be in traffic with a aftermarket exhaust.
-Chris

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 05:23:30 PM »
Another question - Are you using 100% Engine Ice?
-Chris

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
Another question - Are you using 100% Engine Ice?

I would like to hope that they were smart enough to get it all out when they flushed it considering they knew Engine Ice doesn't mix.  However, I wouldn't be surprised after all of these problems!  After they finish with my thermostat, I'm pulling my bike out and taking it 2 hours up the road to Tupelo MS they have an actually Suzuki Dealership with real experience so I'm hoping for the best!

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:05:00 PM »
Now technically it's not overheating because the flow tank is bubbling or overflowing and I'm not losing any coolant?

Anyone looked into head gasket yet ?

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:23:24 PM »
Now technically it's not overheating because the flow tank is bubbling or overflowing and I'm not losing any coolant?

Not yet.......but I'm taking it to a PowerSports Suzuki Dealer this week and they are supposed to have some really good mechanics that specialize in Hayabusas.  So hopefully my troubles will be over soon!

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:54:09 PM »

Just curious what exactly what would the head gasket cause anyways?  Leaking of the fluids?  Because I'm not leaking anything?

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 12:07:01 AM »
Are you blowing white smoke?
-Chris

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 12:10:15 AM »

Just curious what exactly what would the head gasket cause anyways?  Leaking of the fluids?  Because I'm not leaking anything?

It depends on were it is leaking and how bad the leak is.  Sometimes it will show as an over heating problem from the combustion gases being forced into the cooling system, sometimes oil and water will inter mix, sometimes the motor will miss on start up from coolant leaking in to the combustion chamber, sometimes white smoke will come out the tail pipe.

Ya might check and see that the coolant is circulating when the bike is warmed up and the thermostat is open, warm it up with the radiator cap off, some coolant will come out as the motor warms, but there should be no bubbles if it has been burped correctly, steady small bubbles could indicate a head gasket. 

When the thermostat opens you should be able to see the coolant moving in the radiator.  If the coolant is not circulating ya might check your water pump impeller for signs of corrosion, I see cars every once in a while that cavitation eats some of the water pump impeller off and that will cause overheating around town and be ok on the highway.

Also check your radiator for dirt and bugs in the fins.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:22 AM »

It depends on were it is leaking and how bad the leak is.  Sometimes it will show as an over heating problem from the combustion gases being forced into the cooling system, sometimes oil and water will inter mix, sometimes the motor will miss on start up from coolant leaking in to the combustion chamber, sometimes white smoke will come out the tail pipe.

Ya might check and see that the coolant is circulating when the bike is warmed up and the thermostat is open, warm it up with the radiator cap off, some coolant will come out as the motor warms, but there should be no bubbles if it has been burped correctly, steady small bubbles could indicate a head gasket. 

When the thermostat opens you should be able to see the coolant moving in the radiator.  If the coolant is not circulating ya might check your water pump impeller for signs of corrosion, I see cars every once in a while that cavitation eats some of the water pump impeller off and that will cause overheating around town and be ok on the highway.

Sounds good thanks for breaking it down for me :thumb:

Offline ACE23

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »

Not yet.......but I'm taking it to a PowerSports Suzuki Dealer this week and they are supposed to have some really good mechanics that specialize in Hayabusas.  So hopefully my troubles will be over soon!
Do not take it to tupelo powersports!!! Instead take it to tupelo performance chuck Wilburn specializes in hayabusas and is much much more qualified and knows the busa alot better
RCC SUPER ULTRA
Race fuel=XXXHP / XXXTQ
93 oct= XXXHP / XXXTQ
Motor by Cooper Performance
Tranny by R&D
Controlled by NLR
Monitored by AEM
Resurrected by Murderedout
Tuned by "........"
=Youtube Interstate Pulls

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 04:47:11 PM »
I know you said it was burped, but it sure sounds like it's not. Exactlly the symptoms you're describing. Good head gasket and no coolant loss = not enough coolant or fan not working properly or no circulation. I'm betting on air in the system. Lean the bike to the left when its warm and running and rev it a bit. Check inside the radiator for flow and bubbles. I'll bet you'll see a couple of big ass bubbles burp up. It'll make a mess. I did have a head gasket go bad and at first it didn't lose much coolant, but if you're watching the levels really closely I'm still saying burp it. Do it yourself so you know was done right. It can be a real bitch to get all of the air out of that system.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 04:49:25 PM by turbojonn »
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »

Do not take it to tupelo powersports!!! Instead take it to tupelo performance chuck Wilburn specializes in hayabusas and is much much more qualified and knows the busa alot better

Great.............now someone tells me :(

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »

I think it may do this sometimes????  That's like if it doesn't start up right away right?  Like if I have to hit the throttle to make it catch?

Offline busaboi09

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 05:26:24 PM »
I know you said it was burped, but it sure sounds like it's not. Exactlly the symptoms you're describing. Good head gasket and no coolant loss = not enough coolant or fan not working properly or no circulation. I'm betting on air in the system. Lean the bike to the left when its warm and running and rev it a bit. Check inside the radiator for flow and bubbles. I'll bet you'll see a couple of big ass bubbles burp up. It'll make a mess. I did have a head gasket go bad and at first it didn't lose much coolant, but if you're watching the levels really closely I'm still saying burp it. Do it yourself so you know was done right. It can be a real bitch to get all of the air out of that system.

Should this get the rest of the air out?  The mechanic there told me at Tupelo all the manual says is to take the radiator cap off and let it run LOL?

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 06:39:40 PM »
I was told by a pro, and found to be true, that tipping to the left got the trapped air out. Tipping as in a little beyond kick-stand tip.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »

I think it may do this sometimes????  That's like if it doesn't start up right away right?  Like if I have to hit the throttle to make it catch?

If a head gasket causes the motor to miss on start, usually one of the other symptoms will accompany it and normally it will miss after setting at least over night.  The motor will start normal but miss on 1 cylinder for any were from 10 sec to 1 minute or 2 minutes, depending on how much coolant is in the combustion chamber.  If you are worried that this is happening, pressurize the cooling system to 20-25 psi and let it set over night, then crank it with the plugs out to see if any coolant blows out.

Before you go to this much work make sure that ALL of the air is out and the coolant is circulating good when the bike is warmed up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:51:12 PM by FlatlandBusa »
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline N2SPEED200

• Rider
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 07:52:12 PM »
Replace or clean radiator cap.  Mine acted up at bike week with similar issues.  The seal on the cap can get trash under it and cause lower radiator pressures.  Lower pressues means lower boiling point and overheating problems.  Hope this helps!

Offline ACE23

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »

Great.............now someone tells me :(
you really should go get your bike and have chuck fix it....I'm sure you could even call him and have him go get it from them. He is a stand up guy and can fix your little problem. Thru powersports place... Changes oil, puts on tires and sells bikes other than that there is no reason to have them work on your bike if there is a hayabusa specialist in the area. IM TELLING YOU....get the bike to him otherwise your more than likely going to be paying them slot of $$ for some guy who sees 1 busa a week to wrench and trial and error your bike
RCC SUPER ULTRA
Race fuel=XXXHP / XXXTQ
93 oct= XXXHP / XXXTQ
Motor by Cooper Performance
Tranny by R&D
Controlled by NLR
Monitored by AEM
Resurrected by Murderedout
Tuned by "........"
=Youtube Interstate Pulls

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »
 Good advice Ace. One expert can save you a lot of wasted time, money and frustration. It takes all of the "could be this, could be that" out of it. Speaking of which, I know the gen 1's had a habit of overheating due to one fan, and when thy did overheat the air temp sensor would sense the hotter ambient condition and lean out the bike which further overheated the bike. I never understood why the ecu would lean out a hot bike, but that's what they would do. Some people would take the air temp sensors out, plug the hole and strap the sensor to the bike outside of the air-box. This might have been just on turbo bikes, I'm not sure. This is part of that guess work that sucks. I'll bet Chuck could figure it out definitively.