Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: fuel pump??  (Read 10539 times)

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
fuel pump??
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
I just got my bosch pump, to replace my in tank pump. How do you get the bosch pump out of the black housing?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
Re: fuel pump??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
cut open using a steel saw - you can see a sample how its done on the gen2 pump thread which may show the black halves there - i recall.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:00:21 PM »
Petrik do you remember what the max pressure was on these bosch and Walbro pumps before they self regulate ?
Official Site Donor

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:52 AM »

Sorry - no, but I am pretty sure I wrote it down to one of these boards, year was 2007 if I remember correctly.

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:36:26 AM »
Ok Thanks, i'll go back through your old posts, search function is not operating at the moment for me, been fighting my antivirus for a while, still does some strange things..  :?
Official Site Donor

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »
just dug around for a while, is this what you were looking for?

Got the Walbro GSS342 - that is a bit long (5mm) for Busa - can fit it though. But GSS342 fits perfectly to ZX-14, so we swapped pumps with my friend, he had Bosch 0 580 454 032 which was a bit short for ZX-14 but fits perfectly into Busa. Both won ! That Bosch is for a 450HP Audi, so I guess its ok for an all motor Busa ;-)

The Bosch flows at Busa std pressure about 180LPH (measured) which is exactly the same as Walbro, even both manufacturers claim 250LPH. No filter, just plain tubing with adjustable regulator and 13.7V. Walbro takes about 14A to run, Bosch takes about 8A to run. The Walbro has a flowby valve which activates around 4.5-5bar so you can not run it higher than that.  Walbros flow at around 4Bar is significantly better than Bosch - anyhow Bosch blowby valve activates way higher up in pressure so it gives more adjustability for pressure.

Due to the installation easiness (only electric connector change and one white pastic piece cut) I would choose Bosch over Walbro again.

Then about the the stock pump. We measured 115-120LPH with std pressure, 13.7V. That is a very good flow figure. Anyhow it has one very interesting feature: At around 4.3bar the flowby valve is activated so you can not adjust pressure above 4.2bar without loosing pressure completely. The Busa stock pump in question is from K5 and manufactured by Mitsubishi.

When modifying the stock busa regulator with stock pump, around 4-4.2bar is absolute maximum. After that you start to loose the pressure because of flow by valve getting activated.

I am just wondering if the flow numbers are in line with others ? 180LPH vs 255LPH is a big difference. Have not checked that at which pressure the 255LPH was promised...

EDIT - When thinking now afterwards, I am pretty confident that we used 2.8bar instead of 3.0bar and did not check the voltage. We assumed 13.7V which is the spec for the power supply we used. Need to redo some of the tests just to confirm these points. Also the appr 14A for Walbro but only 180LPH indicates that there may be some serious restriction in the testing system ?

EDIT2 - Disregard the above flow figures, we just remeasured the testing system and confirmed that test system was accidentially set around 16V. Anyway the Bosch figure measured earlier and according to the manufacturer are  120LPH@5bar, 150LPH@4.3bar, so based on that Bosch is good for around 400hp@crank depending on voltage and injectors. I guess that Walbro flows around 160LPH@5bar. More importantly we need to measure the running voltage at pump in bike to be able to have more exact testing numbers.

Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 06:03:04 PM »
Yep thats it thanks Greg
Just need a source of the bosch pumps now, not easy to find here
Official Site Donor

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 06:11:13 PM »
would be happy to help here if you find a usa source, though not sure where guys here buy them either
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »
the common # is 69420, , just google bosch 69420. I just looked and I got mine from rockauto.com 159 plus shipping
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 03:42:09 AM »
 :thumb: Thanks Fred  that number helped heaps , Amazon.com $118 US inc delivery (to you Greg  :D)
Official Site Donor

Offline badass1000

• Post Master

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:46 PM »
well damn... ordered one last night from amazon and today it sends a confirmation email that it will be shiped in 3 weeks.   :(
should probably cancel the order and get one some where ha thas one in stock or less then 3 weeks.

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 09:55:30 AM »
I got mine from Rock Auto, 157 bucks, got it in three or foiur days,
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph

Offline badass1000

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:40:40 PM »
My pump showed up today.   8)  luckily sooner then they first said.
looking up how to install it now. :)