Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: new chain stretching crazy! !!HELP!!  (Read 16740 times)

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
  • [URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/mike
new chain stretching crazy! !!HELP!!
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:56 PM »
PLEASE NEED HELP I CANT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM ,,,EVEN WITH MY OLD CHAIN THE CHAIN JUST STARTED STRETCHING  EVERY TIME I RODE...SO I BOUGHT A NEW EK MZVX CHAIN THINKING IT WAS THAT,, I ADJUSTED THE NEW CHAIN 4 TIMES THINKING IT WAS DUE TO IT BEING NEW  AFTER 2 MORE ADJUSTMENTS  I REALIZED IT WASNT RIGHT,,I HAD SWINGARM EXTENSIONS  SO I REMOVED MY SWINGARM EXTENSIONS  JUST TO SEE IF IT FIXED THE PROBLEM ,IN CASE THEY WERE BENT OR SO,,,NO HELP...IM NOW AT STOCK LENGHT & AND HAVE HAD TO ADJUST EVERY DAY OF RIDING IN 2 DAYS,,,CHANGED THE SPROCKET & THE HUB TODAY & IT STILL STRETCHING!! WHAT ELSE CAN I LOOK AT ???? THE DRIVE SYSTEM IS NOT THAT COMPLICATED.. ALL  I HAVE LEFT IS THE FRONT SPROCKET  WICH IS NEW & HAS NO DAMAGE SIGNS....& THE OUTPUT SHAFT...HOW WOULD I KNOW IS BENT?... HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE? ....WOULD IT LEAK IF IT WAS BENT?....& HOW EASY IS IT TO BEND? I SUPPOSE IT AINT SO EASY MY BIKE DOESNT HAVE CRAZY HP & I DONT DOG RACE IT....PLEASE IF YOU HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE WITH THIS MATTER HELP ME GIMME LIGHTG!!!!! THANX
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:25:20 PM by busaBuster »
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
Re: new chain stretching crazy! !!HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »
I bought a ZZZ and it has been adjusted twice in 8k miles. I don't drag race though but I do hammer it.
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:24:57 PM »
I KNOW THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE BUT I DON EVEN HAVE 1000 MILES ON IT...MY CHAIN IS A MZVX 530
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Offline 09GraySilverBusa

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:28:57 PM »
First -  Don't type in all Cap's. It's Like Yelling  :bah:

Are you leaving about an inch of free play in the chain when you adjust it? If you adjust the chain to tight it will stretch prematurely.
Brock's CT Exhaust, BMC Race Air Filter, ECU Editor, Custom Seat, Marchesini Rims w/Michelin Power Pures
TEXAS MILE (all stock motor)-March 2010, 195.4 MPH Pump Gas | Oct 2010, 197.2 | March 2011 197.3 | Oct 2011 196.4 | March 2012 197.8 | Oct 2012 206.1
LORING (stock motor) - July 2012 1-mile 205.48 & 1.5-mile 212.27

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:32:13 PM »
HAHA     :idea:ok no i adjust right! but even if you adjust it too tight it should never ever get soggy loose in 1 days riding i mean SOGGY!

Offline CADDYWOMPUS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
Id guess you are running the chain too tight.
A stock swing arm will require 1.5 inches of slack .An extended arm ,maybe more .
 I always run on the loose side and my chains last a long long time.
"you are both queerbait and im the queer"-pat dietrich

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 09:07:04 PM »
I run mine until its super loose like 3.5" then i tighten it
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:12:23 PM »
About 1 to 1.5 inches slack on a stock swing arm is the right adjustment.  Only use about 5 lbs force to move the chain up and down when checking the slack, don't try to force it up and down with to much pressure, and measure mid way between the sprockets.

My '08 has the stock chain on at 13K miles, its been adjusted twice after the 1000 mile break in and never gets looser that 1 3/4 inch slack, I set mine at 1 1/4 inch slack.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 06:50:48 AM »
First -  Don't type in all Cap's. It's Like Yelling  :bah:

Are you leaving about an inch of free play in the chain when you adjust it? If you adjust the chain to tight it will stretch prematurely.

:lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 07:19:49 AM »
Are you sure you are doing the adjusting when the chain is at its tight spot? I make sure mines at the tight spot and set it at 1/2 to 3/4 ................stock chain 14000 miles still in good shape replaced it when went extended, new ZZZ ben adjusted twice in 5000 miles, also I do make sure the bikes at ride hight when final adjustment is made, have daughter sit on it when on stands
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »
Are you sure you are doing the adjusting when the chain is at its tight spot? I make sure mines at the tight spot and set it at 1/2 to 3/4 ................stock chain 14000 miles still in good shape replaced it when went extended, new ZZZ ben adjusted twice in 5000 miles, also I do make sure the bikes at ride hight when final adjustment is made, have daughter sit on it when on stands

...not to jack busaBuster's post,but have a good one old dude. :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »

...not to jack busaBuster's post,but have a good one old dude. :thumb:
Another thing that helps is because I'm a "old dude" I dont hoss on the bike like I used to,  If I road the Busa like I used to ride, 25 - 30 years ago I would have ben on my head ...A LOT  :hys:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Online Sport

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 02:34:02 PM »
If you're not tightening the axle nut to spec it will loosen up rapidly especially under hard acceleration.
Ride em if ya got em

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:44:30 PM »
as far as i know im doing the adjustment right i have done that hundreds of time on my other bikes,never having a problem.i dunno! guess ill give the chain more time to break in,hopefully it doesnt snap off,but in the other hand there is nothing that can be wrong....anyone know if these are signs of a bent output shaft? or what happens when the shaft bends

Offline wildphil69

• Post Master
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 03:46:45 PM »
Not sure if you can bend one...
Nitrous is like a hot chick with STD'S...You know you wanna hit it but your just not sure of the consequences.

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 04:19:40 PM »
i figure you can but not the way im set up,you ought to be turbo or nos with a whole build !!??? anyones input :?: :?:

Offline IG

• Rider
    • Next Gen Internet
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 05:54:12 PM »
Here is what I think might be happening. The sprocket may be slightly off center - thus creating tighter/looser spots in the chain depending on sprocket position. So, in order to verify this do the following.

Put the bike on the rear stand and start turning the rear wheel by hand until you find the tightest spot. Put some sort of mark on the sprocket and continue turning the wheel in the same direction until you find another tight spot. See if the rear sprocket is in the same position. If tight spots coincide with the same position of the rear sprocket, then a slightly misaligned rear sprocket is causing the chain to go tight-loose. You will have to figure out then what's causing the rear sprocket to be misaligned - one possible reason: worn rubber inserts.

If tight spots occur about 3 times for each revolution of the rear wheel, then it's the front sprocket which is misaligned. You would have to figure out what's the deal with that (hint: bent shaft). Hopefully, this is not the case.

So, what could be happening is that you adjust the chain when it's in the tightest spot, ride for a while, but when you check it again, the chain is in the loose spot - this gives you an impression that the chain got stretched.

Other things (which I think someone suggested), see if by any chance something else gives - like the axle nut wasn't too tight and the rear shaft moved a bit, check to see if you are not missing all spacers for the rear shaft, and things of those nature. Measure the actual length between 21 links (like the manual suggested) and see if this is within spec, and weather this measurement changes when you think the chain got stretched.

Obviously, something is going on, you just couldn't put your finger on it yet.

Good luck and let us know.  :thumb:
Igor

Offline Scott123007

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:40 PM »
One last possibility that no one has hit on yet is the chain adjuster itself. You said you've adjusted chains many times before so this probably isn't it, BUT,  when you tighten the adjuster locknuts, if you don't have a wrench on the adjuster bolt, it will turn a little, creating a space between the head of the adjuster bolt and the axle guide. If the adjuster bolt is backed off even slightly from the axle guide, no matter how tight your axle nut is, when you start riding the axle guide will move back up to the adjuster bolt. This little bit is enough to make your chain loose again.

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
ive noticed that i adjust with 2 whrenches to prevent this thanks though

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 10:00:54 PM »
cool ig for the info i will do & let be know thnx everybody interested ,hope i fix it

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
First off whats the tensile strength of the new chain? original stock busa chains used to stretch easily if you rode the bike hard,I always purchase a prestretched tsubaki chain 10600lb tensile strength,usually have to adjust it the first three times I ride as I ride pretty hard then once more down the road,I replace my chain every 6k,I look at it as insurance and I'll explain why. I had to replace my chain on my 05 busa and switched to an EK chain 11k tensile strength,rode it afew times and made the usual adjustments,the manual specs 3/4 to 1 1/4 and I run on the tight side of that spec. That being said I go out for a ride with the boys and did a rolling hole shot which def shocks the chain but it was cool out and there wasn't much traction,then I hit a wheelie and I here my chain jump the sprocket,so I'm sayn to myself, WTF! ,pull over to take a look and my chain was hanging with about 4 inches of slack,I couldn't believe it,Ive replaced 20 plus chains with a tsubaki and never had any problems with that much stretch,I was pretty pissed off. So now I take that EK chain and chuck it in the garbage,160.00 piece of shit,and purchase my usual tsubaki chain and figure that should take care of things,Right. WRONG! I put my new tsubaki chain on,adjust the chain and go for a ride,come back home the chain is wicked tight,I'm scratching my head so I put it up the the wheel stand and spin the tire and the chain going tight to loose,tight to loose,I knew I was Fcked at that point cause the only thing it could be is a bent output shaft,I was pretty pissed. I have put on over 100k miles on 3 different busas riding extremely hard and never had anything ever break,now I'm pullin my motor to fix an output shaft. The slop in the EK chain came around and lodged for an instant between the case and the sprocket,without cracking my case but bent the output shaft so I guess I was lucky inn that sense,cost me 700.00 to fix,so make sure you buy a good chain other wise it could happen to you,I recommend a Tsubaki.

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
ok  guys i just did like recommended i put on the rear stand, spun the wheel ....it does not go tight loose tight loose like gjp3000 said his did ,but there is a tight spot on the chain ...wich i think all chains have ?right or wrong? the tight spot is no more than 1/4 of an inch tighter of the rest of the chains tension!!! what should i look for in an bent out shaft ?overtension & then undertension when i spin the wheel?...im now takin my chain off too see if the front sprkt woobles....

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
ok  guys i just did like recommended i put on the rear stand, spun the wheel ....it does not go tight loose tight loose like gjp3000 said his did ,but there is a tight spot on the chain ...wich i think all chains have ?right or wrong? the tight spot is no more than 1/4 of an inch tighter of the rest of the chains tension!!! what should i look for in an bent out shaft ?overtension & then undertension when i spin the wheel?...im now takin my chain off too see if the front sprkt woobles....
If your saying its like 3/4 slack at the tight spot and about 1inch everywhere else, thats about normal, I have owned 25 bikes in the last 40+ years, 22 of them with chains, some were new some not, and not one of them were perfect as to the chain run, some were worse than others, but none of them were dead nuts perfect

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »
If you didn't break a chain while you were riding or have something similar happen to you that happened to me I highly doubt your output shaft is bent,the problem wasnt there before and now it its,the only thing you changed  is the chain so it just must keep stretching,the EK I had definitely had a lot of stretch to it and it was rated at 10300lbs. I just looked up your chain which must be a 530 MVXZ, you wrote MVZX which doesn't exist as far as I can see and that chain is only made for MAX ENGINE SIZE OF 1000cc WITH A 9300lb TENSILE STRENGTH,that's not a strong chain and not made for the torque of the busa and if thats the chain you have it's gonna keep stretching unless you just putt around,the stock chain on the gen1 used to stretch like mad on my 2000 and 2001 and that chain was rated at 9500lb tensile strength,it was garbage,one of the first things I would do to all my Gen1 busas was get rid of the stock chain usually within 3k miles and replace it with a Tsubaki. I know alot of people that broke stock busa chains on the Gen1 so it can't be a coincidence,the Gen2 comes with a much stronger chain stock,changed it at 6k miles. Good luck.  

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
sorry its zvx2 all them letters get me confused................anyways here is the update ,just got done looking at my output shaft & the front sprkt runs straight ...no whooble whatsoever teeth run perfecly straight ,wich im glad its not it! BUT as well pisses me off cuz i dont know wtf it is...if it had been ment  at least i would have known  that THAT was the problem.......SO imma give it some more time to see if its normal new chain stretching I HOPE...if not im down to swapping the swingarm to see if its bent!  beacuse i have already changed every othe chain component!!....thanx evert one that has replied for taking a minute out of you time!