Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: new chain stretching crazy! !!HELP!!  (Read 16742 times)

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: new chain stretching crazy! !!HELP!!
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
Check the chain to see if it is actually streched, the service manual tells you how by checking the distance between 21 pins
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 06:14:19 PM »
I'm almost positive that is the same chain I purchased and that chain had alot of stretch. You usuallly have wear marks where your adjuster blocks were on the swing so you can see the maximum your distance you had to pull the rear axle back from your last chain. Where's the axle now in reference to those wear marks? If it well in front of it then it's probably normal break in for that chain. Take a measurement like Dave C posted to see if it's over stretched,I personally did not have a good experience with that chain.

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 06:15:49 PM »
That was swing ARM,should have proof read it before I posted,lol

Offline Ludicrous Speed

• Post Master
  • Southern IL
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
I had a similar problem when I first got my bike.  The stock chain stretched BAD, with several thousnd miles on it.  I tightened it up as far as it could go and rode it up the street and back, no problem.  I ordered a new chain and sprockets.  Put them all on (EK ZZZ chain), rode it around, and then directly to the track and on my first launch, POP POP POP....  Get back to the pits , the chain is sagging, badly again....  Teeth off the new front sprocket, and etc.....  I thought I had a bad output shaft, so I took it to the dealer under warranty.  2 months later I picked it up with another new chain and sprockets, plus a $500 something bill :bah:

That chain lasted for years, and I have replaced them several times since with no problems.

I think that I had either

A:  A bad chain
or
B:  A bad sprocket that sheared several teeth off of it, and destroyed the chain with it.

Buy another chain and spocket, reinstall it (Try the ZZZ) and make sure your rear wheel is aligned correctly, and see what happens.
2009 White/Blue Hayabusa
2004 Busa-Black and Purple  TOTALLED BY INATTENTIVE TEEN DRIVER!
67 Camaro (big tire bracket car)
89 Mustang GT vert

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 05:27:33 AM »
What a coincidence that the common thread is the EK chain,I think their junk and cost me $700 to fix my 05, the only problem I've ever had with a busa was due to it or any other of the ten bikes I've owned,I bought their strongest chain and it cost me more than a Tsubaki. NEVER EVER had a problem with a Tsubaki and I ride very aggressive on the street and dragrace, have purchased at least 25 of them logging in 300k between all my bikes including four busa's. 1000 miles with an EK chain cost me $700 plus another new chain. If your an aggressive street rider I strongly recommend a Tsubaki chain,adjust them three times and usually wont stretch much more, they just don't come in the pretty colors which was why I bought the EK,what a mistake,lol. 

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
  • [URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/mike
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »
if my cush drives are worn  would it make a difference in my chain stretching or wearing or whatever the fuck its doing?....... still no fix im bout to give up i dont understand whats going on .....checked the 21 pins like the manual says and im at 12.5 inches, max is 12.56...brand new chain....9th adjustment today went for ride with a buddy to check it out...and after 1 hr 10 mile ride aprox preety hard riding....the chain was saggin so bad i could touch the swingarm with it  when i pulled the chain up....for 2  days of easy riding it stayed good though.........for the first time in my bike having times i have considered to take the bike to the dealership & pay the 104 an hour man it makes me feel like a dummas ,imma adjust 1 more time if it does it again i will take it to the suzuki shop ,as much as i dont want to
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
Buy a tsubaki chain and throw that EK in the trash,you looked at all the possibilities,sprockets are good and the output shaft is not bent which you would know cause your chain would be getting tight then loose when you spin the back tire. Your bike was fine before you put the EK chain on so get rid of it and buy a tsubaki,the EK I had which was the same chain stretched out the same way except it took out my output shaft. If it fixes the problem you saved alot of money,takin it to the dealer won't be cheap. 

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »
if my cush drives are worn  would it make a difference in my chain stretching or wearing or whatever the fuck its doing?....... still no fix im bout to give up i dont understand whats going on .....checked the 21 pins like the manual says and im at 12.5 inches, max is 12.56...brand new chain....9th adjustment today went for ride with a buddy to check it out...and after 1 hr 10 mile ride aprox preety hard riding....the chain was saggin so bad i could touch the swingarm with it  when i pulled the chain up....for 2  days of easy riding it stayed good though.........for the first time in my bike having times i have considered to take the bike to the dealership & pay the 104 an hour man it makes me feel like a dummas ,imma adjust 1 more time if it does it again i will take it to the suzuki shop ,as much as i dont want to

Before ya spend $$$ at the dealer put a DID chain on it.  I ran a DID 530ZVM on my 954 for about 24,00 miles and only had to adjust it a few times, and that bike got ridden hard, 1000's of clutch ups and lots of 100mph+ running.
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 07:11:08 AM »
Tsubaki chains rule,they hold up to the torque of the busa with ease,300k miles using them and no problems. 954 doesn't have any torque to stretch a chain,lol.

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 12:34:03 PM »
ek says i might have bent the pins and they will just keep bending,just measured yesterday & 21 pins now measure 12 an 3/4 thats in 2 days riding........now i gotta send the send the chain to ek and have no chain at all 4 a while.....so imma try the ekzzz ive heard good reviews about it question is anyone here knows who might have  a hookup on one, sponsors sellers hit me up!!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:42:36 PM by busaBuster »
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
You just had a bad experience with an EK chain and your willing to roll the dice on another one,it only took once for me. Try the TSubaki and be done with your problems. Good luck

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »
what is the tensile strenght on that tsubaki????

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 06:43:52 PM »
It's rated at 10,600lb and it says up to 1200cc but me and my friends been running that chain on our Busas for years without a problem,and we don't putt around,it gets abused. The last and only EK I will ever buy was rated at 10,500lb,a 100lb difference from the Tsubaki and it stretched like a rubber band so their rating sucks IMO. Trust me you won't have a problem,I never ran an EKZZZ so I don't have an opinion on it but obviously EK rates their tensile strength different than Tsubaki,the Tsubaki wont over stretch unless you adjust it wrong. I'm the type of person that if I have a problem with a product and it didn't perform the way it should have I'm not goin back for seconds,I strayed from what I knew and it bit me in the ass,cost me 700.00,the first EK you bought had a good tensile strength rating just as the one I bought,and look what happened,makes me think twice,good luck.

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
Here's a good price on one I found if your interested,you need 112 links for an 07 and under.

http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=122731

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
ohhh ok i was looking at the sigma xrg series wich are supposed to be tsubakis best shit on the road now BUT its rated at 10,135 tensile wich in turn the one you showed me its way cheaper and 10,600n tensile so wtf i reallt dont want to give ek my cheese again but whats up with this tsubaki, its better than anything out there yet is more expensive & has less t strenght???????

Offline busaBuster

• Rider

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »
Just buy it,I replaced 25 plus chains on my bikes,4 of them ZX11's and 10 of them were on busa's 05 and under and now on my 08,its a strong chain and you'll be happy you bought it. I could care less what EK rates thier chains at the only chain I ever had a problem with was an EK that had equivalent tensile rating as the Tsubaki and I've never had one stretch like the EK did. 

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
ek says i might have bent the pins and they will just keep bending,just measured yesterday & 21 pins now measure 12 an 3/4 thats in 2 days riding........now i gotta send the send the chain to ek and have no chain at all 4 a while.....so imma try the ekzzz ive heard good reviews about it question is anyone here knows who might have  a hookup on one, sponsors sellers hit me up!!!

The EK was always stretching even on my GSXR600, don't waste your hard earned money, go DID or what gjp1300 said and go Tsubaki.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 09:53:53 PM »
Tsubaki chains rule,they hold up to the torque of the busa with ease,300k miles using them and no problems. 954 doesn't have any torque to stretch a chain,lol.

I am sure that the chain on my 954 saw plenty of abuse with all the 2nd and 3rd gear clutch ups I used to do.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
ok ok tsubaki sigma xrg or just sigma ....or the equivalent did

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 12:10:46 AM »
ok tsubaki sigma it was!!!!! waiting on it......maaaan that was a mental debate!!!...its hard to choose such a product when you know u gotta be picky because you have already had failures....but i guess it would be worst to buy the same brand....well put that tsubaki to the test thats 4 sure !!....i believe in ya gjp1300...wellll seee

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:58 AM »
Unless your not adjusting the chain properly which I don't believe your doing,I leave 3/4 inch play which is on the tight side of the manuals recommendation you'll be fine,it's usually locked in after 3 initial adjustments. You won't regret using the tsubaki. I hope anyway,I have a feelin I would never hear the end of it,lol. Good luck and keep me posted

Offline FloydV

• Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 04:51:25 PM »
Here is what I think might be happening. The sprocket may be slightly off center - thus creating tighter/looser spots in the chain depending on sprocket position. So, in order to verify this do the following.

Put the bike on the rear stand and start turning the rear wheel by hand until you find the tightest spot. Put some sort of mark on the sprocket and continue turning the wheel in the same direction until you find another tight spot. See if the rear sprocket is in the same position. If tight spots coincide with the same position of the rear sprocket, then a slightly misaligned rear sprocket is causing the chain to go tight-loose. You will have to figure out then what's causing the rear sprocket to be misaligned - one possible reason: worn rubber inserts.

If tight spots occur about 3 times for each revolution of the rear wheel, then it's the front sprocket which is misaligned. You would have to figure out what's the deal with that (hint: bent shaft). Hopefully, this is not the case.

So, what could be happening is that you adjust the chain when it's in the tightest spot, ride for a while, but when you check it again, the chain is in the loose spot - this gives you an impression that the chain got stretched.

Other things (which I think someone suggested), see if by any chance something else gives - like the axle nut wasn't too tight and the rear shaft moved a bit, check to see if you are not missing all spacers for the rear shaft, and things of those nature. Measure the actual length between 21 links (like the manual suggested) and see if this is within spec, and weather this measurement changes when you think the chain got stretched.

Obviously, something is going on, you just couldn't put your finger on it yet.

Good luck and let us know.  :thumb:

Good info IG. Especially about the front sprocket.
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion.

Albert Einstein, 1921

Offline FloydV

• Post Whore
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
Just buy it,I replaced 25 plus chains on my bikes,4 of them ZX11's and 10 of them were on busa's 05 and under and now on my 08,its a strong chain and you'll be happy you bought it. I could care less what EK rates thier chains at the only chain I ever had a problem with was an EK that had equivalent tensile rating as the Tsubaki and I've never had one stretch like the EK did. 

After years of "EK ZZZ is the best," people are saying it is a crappy chain?  :?:
The mystical trend of our time, which shows itself particularly in the rampant growth of the so-called Theosophy and Spiritualism, is for me no more than a symptom of weakness and confusion.

Albert Einstein, 1921

Offline gjp1300

• Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
Nobody said the EKzzz was a crappy chain,read all the posts. I had a bad experiance with an EK after using Tsubaki for years and never had any issues,and I'm on top of my maintainance,the chain stretched like an elastic and had the same tensile strength as the Tsubaki sigma,ended up costing me a output shaft,I'll never buy an EK again,you can keep em.