Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Ok boys, I need foot position advice  (Read 5115 times)

Offline joebeck

• Apprentice Post Whore
Ok boys, I need foot position advice
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:35:54 AM »
Ok, I know this may be kind of a stupid question, but where the hell am I suppose to keep my feet on the pegs? I know, while I'm riding hard in the twisties I should have the balls of my feet on the pegs but how in the hell am I suppose to shift or use the rear brake? Moving my feet back towards the shifter on the rubber coated pegs of the Busa is difficult to say the least and is starting to drive me a little insane. I haven't found a way to evenly, and fluidly transition from having the balls of my feet on the peg to shifting and getting back to that postion. Is there some technique that I'm oblivious to or are the pegs making this harder than it should be. Is it time to replace those rear sets with some Satos? Please, help me lol.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
Re: Ok boys, I need foot position advice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »
OK best position is between the balls of your feet and your toes, if I am on the balls of my feet I still drag my toes. Move your feet back and stand up, when you move them back to far it will feel uncomfortable or hard to stand, that is to far. You want to be able to support your weight fully with your feet back as far as you can, adjustable rear sets would allow you to be on the balls with more ground clearance. Toes should point outward about 20 degrees, heels should rest against the heel guards. All your shifting and braking should be done before you start your curve, a good 40-60 feet before at this level. Get your feet into position, sit in the garage and practice moving your feet back and forth till it feels right. You want your toes pointing out so it opens your hips, if you are sliding off the bike you don't want to rotate your hips. If you rotate your hips your toes will try to point forward, instead slide your hips parallel to the bars to the side, and drop your head to where your mirror is. You will see why your toes should point out at that point. Do all this sitting on the rear stand or even the kick stand, but you will see what feels right.

It will feel very odd moving your feet so much at first, but its what you need to do to be right. Remember you wont be shifting in the curve and you should not be using your rear brake at our level either, so in the straights feet forward, brake, down shift, move feet back, start the turn, apex, throttle out, move feet forward. Practice it in the garage for about 10 min a day for a week, it will feel natural after awhile.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline joebeck

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:10:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice my friend. I went out to the canyon and gave what you told me a try and it did help. Still, i'm finding the rubber on the pegs making the transtion from toe to heal WAY more difficult than it needs to be. I think at the very least, a peg swap is in order.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
I went with pegs from a 96 gsxr 750, but bet most of the years are the same. It lowers the top of the peg, but the bottom is the same so you dont drag pegs any harder.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline madnick9r

• New User!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »
I agree with the long post above. You just have to get used to adjusting your feet position. I wear a size 15...so even with my feet hiked all way to my toes I will still drag in some situations. I bought a set of protek aftermarket rearsets for my 'busa. I think they move 1'' up and 1'' back from stock position or something...it was a little uncomfortable at first, took some getting used to, but now dragging my toes isn't a problem.
"8 seconds in the quarter mile, rippin' up the pavement..." ROFLMFAO