Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 08-09 BUSA running E85  (Read 7319 times)

Offline ButchB

• Rider
08-09 BUSA running E85
« on: April 25, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
Anybody running E85 in their 08-09 yet? Did you swap the stock injectors out or will they flow enough? If you did swap them out, who makes the aftermarket models and what cc are they? Thanks

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
Re: 08-09 BUSA running E85
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:55:09 AM »
I made 356 hp with stock injectors using gasoline, so reduce that by 30%, should still be enough injector for well over 200 hp, assuming you are using ecu editor which will let you balance the injectors 50/50 under load.

at the moment there aren't any completely plug and play drop in injectors, could just pump the fuel pressure up.

This all assuming you have an aftermarket fuel pump.
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Racerxdetroit

• Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »
Can you even run E85 in the 08-09 Busa, wont it mess something up?
Bikers ride harder.
2008 Custom Busa..

Offline smithabusa

• Boost By Smith
  • Site Supporter
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
    • Boost By Smith
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »
gas mileage  :lol:

If you aren't needing cheap race fuel don't think about it LOL.
Official Site Supporter

www.boostbysmith.com

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:46:30 AM »
Yep there is not reason to run e85 if you are not high compression or turbo. I really think it would be fun to build a 15-1 e85 bike, e85 loves compression :)
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:33:35 PM »
Anybody running E85 in their 08-09 yet? Did you swap the stock injectors out or will they flow enough? If you did swap them out, who makes the aftermarket models and what cc are they? Thanks

Sure did some testing on E85 - very good experience. I will go to full flexfuel config as soon as I have time to implement the full flexifuel (0%-85%) in ecueditor.com.

Offline Bently1

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:01:23 AM »
Yep there is not reason to run e85 if you are not high compression or turbo. I really think it would be fun to build a 15-1 e85 bike, e85 loves compression :)

Why no reason on a stock bike with pipe? thought it was good for around 6 to 8 hp? I have a station 2 blocks from me with it.
2008 Busa

Offline PetriK

• ECU Guru
  • Post Master
  • Where am I?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »

Alcohol has higher energy content than normal gasoline but to utilize that you need 30-40% more injector flow and some 5 degrees more ignition advance. So a retune is needed.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »

Why no reason on a stock bike with pipe? thought it was good for around 6 to 8 hp? I have a station 2 blocks from me with it.

The cost of upgrading does not justify the power increase. All alcky contain O2 molecules, so its like spraying a little NoS with the fuel, it will help, but the gain will increase as the cylinder pressure does.  Not to mention you will reduce your mileage, between 20-40% depending on your tune and how you drive. If I was going to upgrade my fuel pump, get it tuned and reduce my mileage range, it will have to be for more then 6-8 hp. If you bump the compression up, you gain back some of the mileage, you will pick up alot more hp, and you will be able to make better use of the E85.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 11:02:51 AM by Quijinn »
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »

Alcohol has higher energy content than normal gasoline but to utilize that you need 30-40% more injector flow and some 5 degrees more ignition advance. So a retune is needed.

From my experiance the ignition only needs bumped if knock limited. The burn rate on alchahols is generally faster then gasoline, so it will bump timing some anyway. I was able to add 8* of timing to my stealth, but it was knock limited on 93. If I was running 110 octane, I could have added that 8* in anyway, and dont think I would have seen a improvment in adding more then that.