Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 2006 Busa - crank / starting problem  (Read 5824 times)

Offline BigDaddyQ

• Rider
2006 Busa - crank / starting problem
« on: April 29, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
Hey everyone - really need some help here.  My Busa took a low speed low side about 4 weeks ago   :(  .  Took me about 2 minutes to pickup the bike and other than a cracked front windscreen, scraped bar end and stator cover, everything looked good.  Picked up the bike and tried to start it, and it would not turn over on the first shot.  Let it sit for a minute or two and it turned over after about 2 - 3 tries.  Took the bike home parked it until the next day.  Checked for any leaking fluids when I got it home and checked the next day as well and all was good.  Tried to start the bike and on the 2nd shot it started and backfired once real hard.  Shut it down and tried to start it again and it took 2 - 3x to start.  Rode the bike in case the plugs were wet for about an hour then put it away and did a ride the next day but starting still had the same issue, no backfire this time but the F1 light did come on the when it started the first time.  After a couple of chats with friends, ended up taking the bike to a dealer who's done good work for me before. 

The problem is the bike will not turn over right away when trying to start it.  Takes 2 - 4x to start and once you let it run, shut it down, and try to start it again the same thing happens.  The dealer did a diagnostic and all the checks came back positive.  The only thing they adjusted was the throttle sensor.  All other sensors appear OK.  All electrical resistances check OK with the Ohm meter according to the dealer.  Right now he's stuck on what the problem could be.  He's wondering if something in the throttle body has an issue.  He did say he looked at the injectors and they looked clean and the plugs looked clean and good as well.

I'm posting this in case anyone else has had a similar issue and if so what was the resolution.  Any help is appreciated.  I'm in my 4 week of no bike and getting really frustrated.

TIA.

Offline BigDaddyQ

• Rider
Re: 2006 Busa - crank / starting problem
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 01:49:12 PM »
Meant to include this info as well.  The ECU was removed and replaced with an ECU from another Busa.  Same problem.  Power Commander has been disconnected.  Same problem.

Offline Rossco

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »
If the FI light came on there should have been a code?

Is it cranking and not starting or not cranking over at all?

First things I woild be looking at are sticky/loose tip over sensor, damaged/bent side stand switch and crank pos sensor if the stator cover got a good hit.

Good luck.

Offline BigDaddyQ

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »
Dealer said all of the codes came back negative.  The bike will turn over but it takes 3 - 4x or more to do so.  By the time you get to the 4th or 5th time it's almost like you're flooding the engine.

Offline dave3.4

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »
If there is an FI light on there will be  a trouble code,for sure. Next time  it  comes  on do the dealer mode trick and see what numbers come up and cross reference it  in the manual.

If the FI light was on when you went to the mechanic  dont go back to that one :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:43:14 AM by dave3.4 »

Offline Rossco

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 01:02:27 AM »
What Dave3.4 said.
Even if the FI light has been on only once and since gone off, the code is still stored for future reference, your deeler SHOULD have checked that early in his investigation if you told him the FI light had come on.

I'm still not clear, is the motor actually cranking over on the starter motor but not firing for the first 3-4x, or is it not even cranking over until the 4-5th push of the button?

Once it starts how does it run?

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 02:08:45 AM »
Gen 1 don't store codes, you have to put it in dealer mode while the key is still on once it sets the code,
if you can plan ahead bridge the wires then try and start and see if it triggers the fault
Official Site Donor

Offline Rossco

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:16:18 AM »
Gen 1 don't store codes, you have to put it in dealer mode while the key is still on once it sets the code,
if you can plan ahead bridge the wires then try and start and see if it triggers the fault

Oops, my bad, Sorry