Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 1697 SLEDGE HAMMER  (Read 28446 times)

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
Re: 1697 SLEDGE HAMMER
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2010, 04:41:27 PM »
Congratulations to all involved.  As always, great numbers from this group.  Oversized valves Jim?

Offline FASTESTUNKNOWN

• Rider
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »
Awesome :thumb: if only streetable how much fun would that be :D
WOW...stock wheelbase, 280 at the wheel.......You can ride that gangster I have a family.

Offline X-boy

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
WOW...stock wheelbase, 280 at the wheel.......You can ride that gangster I have a family.

I will ride it sonny ! hahahahaha :hys:
Any more pics of the bike ?
"Angela Family"
Xtreme Racing ARUBA

Offline Competition CNC

• Rider
    • CompetitionCNC.com
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 06:33:58 AM »
Come on man tell them about the head brotha!

Patric,

Well, its a stage 3 CNC ported head. The ports are designed for 1580-1700+cc engines.
The ports are designed 100% in the computer with Mastercam X3 as a surface model where we can control all of the design geometry to an exact shape.  It has a specifically designed MCSA that has been relocated in the port.  The valve choke has been increased 1.5% and the total port taper has been modified.  It uses o/s valves with Bronze seats and the 45 degree contact area is modified to promote better heat transfer from the valves thru the seat to the head and into the cooling system.
This head is also used in land speed racing where the engine is at red line for 5 miles so added valve cooling is needed. The seats are also over sized so they retain the radial tension needed to keep them in the head during a pass on Bonneville's long course. The valve job, or seat profile, is a dyno tested custom design to also promote better fuel homogenization. This helps reduce the BSFC of the engine making it more efficient. The stage 3 heads also typically use bronze valve guides that allow more retainer to seal clearance and wont crack off just above the head like the factory brittle iron guides can when land speed racing.  We use premium blue Viton valve seals that can take any heat that's thrown at them, turbo or nitrous etc. The retainers we prefer are Titanium and don't grind away in the spring contact area as the spring harmonics spin the assembly in the head. They also are lower adding even more retainer to seal clearance for those BIG cams.
The chambers are partially CNC'd to also promote flow and fuel homogenization at higher rpms. All of our heads have very high velocity ports.  The ports are not overly large so as to flow big static flow bench numbers. They are VERY carefully sized to very exact dimensions and shapes.  But everyone wants a flow bench number so I will say that the standard stage 3 "only" flow 268 CFM at 28" of test pressure.
I wish I could be more specific on the exact actual details of the port geometry but that wouldn't be smart.

For those of you who get Sport Rider, we have a stage 2 head on the Busa cover bike coming out very shortly.  I really cant say any more about it until it's out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:40:36 AM by Y2KZX12R »
Jim

Offline ACE23

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »
I would sell my turbo and ride the wheels off this bike....like I said if it would last.
RCC SUPER ULTRA
Race fuel=XXXHP / XXXTQ
93 oct= XXXHP / XXXTQ
Motor by Cooper Performance
Tranny by R&D
Controlled by NLR
Monitored by AEM
Resurrected by Murderedout
Tuned by "........"
=Youtube Interstate Pulls

Offline RetiredUSAF

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 05:31:24 PM »
Y2KZX12R,
Can you tell us the ballpark price of a head like Sonny has?
Michael Lewis
Glad to be USAF-retired

Offline Wolf1397

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Whore
  • AKA Wolf
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »

Patric,

Well, its a stage 3 CNC ported head. The ports are designed for 1580-1700+cc engines.
The ports are designed 100% in the computer with Mastercam X3 as a surface model where we can control all of the design geometry to an exact shape.  It has a specifically designed MCSA that has been relocated in the port.  The valve choke has been increased 1.5% and the total port taper has been modified.  It uses o/s valves with Bronze seats and the 45 degree contact area is modified to promote better heat transfer from the valves thru the seat to the head and into the cooling system.
This head is also used in land speed racing where the engine is at red line for 5 miles so added valve cooling is needed. The seats are also over sized so they retain the radial tension needed to keep them in the head during a pass on Bonneville's long course. The valve job, or seat profile, is a dyno tested custom design to also promote better fuel homogenization. This helps reduce the BSFC of the engine making it more efficient. The stage 3 heads also typically use bronze valve guides that allow more retainer to seal clearance and wont crack off just above the head like the factory brittle iron guides can when land speed racing.  We use premium blue Viton valve seals that can take any heat that's thrown at them, turbo or nitrous etc. The retainers we prefer are Titanium and don't grind away in the spring contact area as the spring harmonics spin the assembly in the head. They also are lower adding even more retainer to seal clearance for those BIG cams.
The chambers are partially CNC'd to also promote flow and fuel homogenization at higher rpms. All of our heads have very high velocity ports.  The ports are not overly large so as to flow big static flow bench numbers. They are VERY carefully sized to very exact dimensions and shapes.  But everyone wants a flow bench number so I will say that the standard stage 3 "only" flow 268 CFM at 28" of test pressure.
I wish I could be more specific on the exact actual details of the port geometry but that wouldn't be smart.

For those of you who get Sport Rider, we have a stage 2 head on the Busa cover bike coming out very shortly.  I really cant say any more about it until it's out.

The results speak for themselves Jim.  Anyone that have seen and used your heads knows that they have a top notch product.  I find it interesting that some builders prefer stock valve size even on very large engines and others get better results with oversize valves.  I know that Jim does extensive computer simulations and have very accurate methods to measure flow or specifically laminar flow in his heads to validate the predicted models.

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
Monster numbers Sonny!! Congrats to everyone involved.  :thumb:

Ryan
2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 06:53:55 PM »
Y2KZX12R,

Give Jim a call at the shop. I'm not sure he spends much time on the boards.

860-274-0631
2 Club member x 5

Offline ULIBUSER

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 05:12:29 AM »
respect ! very good work !

What kind of coating do You use on the Titanium Retainers?
I cant imagine they would last a few passes without coating...
I'm using a similar spec busa engine in a BEC. The ape tit retainers where stamped thru very quickly..
the original ones where a lot stronger( because anodised!)
del west is offering a steel retainer plasma coated, very strong( and heavy) and very expensive..

very curios to read your opinion!

Ciao
Ulrico

Offline Competition CNC

• Rider
    • CompetitionCNC.com
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »
Y2KZX12R,

Thanks Patric ..... there is a difference between a re-engineered port and a port made to flow a lot on a flow bench.

Its about $2600 for a bolt on stage 3.

Thats with bronze seats and guides, stainless valves, APE springs and retainers, the good blue viton seals......

We havent seen any failures of the APE TI retainers.  We use the APE springs also.

Whats a BEC?   The retainers that pulled thru... were they on a drag bike or LSR bike?

Ryan, what did your 1650 make with the stage 3 on it?  Didnt you go over 220 at Bonneville....?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:25:43 AM by Y2KZX12R »
Jim

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 09:57:13 AM »
Ryan went 216 and change.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
HP by Carpenter & Johnny Cheese  Engine by Knecum
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 04:11:09 PM »
Ryan went 216 and change.

Fred

Awww Fred you shorted me. It was 217 and change dang it. I guess we can still be friends.  :hys:  
217.795mph to be exact. DA was a tad over 6000 feet. Hoping to go faster this year. Aren't we all?  :lol:

On that same pass I saw 221 on GPS but had to get out of the throttle for a second and get back into it because I had run off the course.  :oops:

Jim, my 1650 class engine with your stage 3 head made between 260 and 270hp on a pretty conservative dyno. For those not familiar with LSR when Jim and I say 1650 motor we are talking about the engine class. That just means it's larger than 1350cc's(the next lower class) but smaller than 1650cc's. I don't want to get into all the specific engine details since we are racing but but the engine is closer to 1650cc's than 1350cc's.  :wink:

Long story short. Guys, Jim's stuff works. Give him a call.

Back to Sonny's bike. That thing is a beast Sonny. I hope I get to see it make some passes.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:21:39 PM by osti33 »
2 Club member x 5

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
Ryan, sorry buddy I didnt mean to short you. I looked in WOS run logs and couldnt find your best run. :( I wont say anything about going off course, been there done that.

Fred
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph
SponsersCATALYST COMPOSITES,JOHNNY CHEESE,KNECUM RACING ENGINES,MURRAY EXHAUST,CARPENTER RACING

Offline osti33

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 05:05:57 PM »
I know Fred. I was just giving you a hard time.  :wink:  :P
2 Club member x 5

Offline fvance

• Legacy Rider
  • Mad Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 05:57:01 PM »
Thats what friends are for. 8) I'm looking for big # from you this year. :thumb:

Fred
VANCE & FORSTALL RACING
Top Speed 235 mph

Offline BELLMAN

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
Awesome bike to all involved.   :thumb:
Something to be real proud of Sonny.  Fun to watch you ride that animal.

Offline ULIBUSER

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 02:40:38 AM »
I cannot belive that You haven't had a problem with those nude Titanium Retainers!

how often do You change them?

mine went thru with APE springs, bronze guides, OEM valves and .445/415 web cams in less than 50 hours!
not hard using never over 9500rpm.

The uncoated titanium retainers have a Surface Hardness  under 500HV
OEM Aluminium anodised wear out at about 120hours...( Vickers Hardness about 2000HV)
To get a similar Surface Hardness on Titanium the only way is to nitride them, I was told.

Oh, a BEC is a B ike E ngined C ar mine is a so called Megabusa( Lotus super seven replica)

Thanks for your reply

ciaio
Ulrico

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 10:01:17 AM »
A little off topic, but I have use "tiodize" coatings in the past for high wear resistance on sliding surfaces for a military application in an autoloader.

http://www.tiodize.com/anodizing.html

Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline 3cRider

• Rider
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:58 AM »
Goodness, that's almost 300 at the tire. Sheesh. Good work, must be an absolute rocket!

Offline Comando

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 07:38:56 AM »
HI my friend can you tell me how big the block is?

Offline BRYAN

• Rider
    • www.quantummotorsportsonline.com
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2010, 02:47:47 PM »
10 mill crank 86mm pistons

278hp 153 ftl/bs

Offline ondre30

• Rider
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »
Where is Sonny now haven't heard about him lately.

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »
What is the compression ratio?

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »

Patric,

Over the top impressive! What amazes me is how technology is really playing a role in the constant development of this sport. :thumb:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח