Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: HID projector install with PICS (plug and play version)  (Read 21001 times)

Offline car2slo

• Rider
HID projector install with PICS (plug and play version)
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:53:01 PM »
Sharing this with my Busa family on a couple forums;

Well the HID projector setup finally came in last week. I took a couple hours today and did the install.

Finished product looks good and I like the setup. Install did take some effort and I will detail the hurdles. Of course will post a test of lighting output once I finish the wiring.

I ended up ordering an Ebay setup for two bulbs (kit) as price was more competitive then the dedicated bike kits, looks like identical product.

Review: HID projector, "drop-in" installation for replacement low beam bulb. Basically is a universal (H7) projector that has a small base which fits into the stock low beam hold. It's long enough to bring the projector outward and small enough to clear the lens.

Quality: Decent quality but haven't tried the power on yet. Came with wiring harness, ballasts (large size that'll I'll be swapping for slim DDM version) some silicone glue and misc. nuts and bolts.

The chrome on the projector is good and the build quality seems to be fine for a Chinese made product.

I ordered the 5000k HID bulb with White angel eye setup.

Stuff you get with the kit;

Step 1: Take apart your busa front fairing and remove headlight. If you can't do this with info from this site you may want to reconsider this mod as it gets more technical from here.

Step 2: Remove all rubber bushings as headlight will go into oven.

Step 3: Put headlight into oven, I used preheat 250 degrees for ~5 minutes.

Step 4: Gently pry with butter knife (glue is sticky so don't use a good knife) the lens from the base housing. I used a screwdriver to wedge the latch parts slight open and then used the knife to seperate.

Step 5: Handle the lens carefully as you want to keep it clean.

Step 6: As per projector instructions, take apart retainer ring, locking washer and screw mechanism.

Step 7: Slide projector into hold and put back retainer ring, locking washer and screw mech. As per marking, orientate projector with TOP sticker pointing up.

Step 8: Tighten screw mechanism and use pliers to tight further. Keep checking front for straight alignment before tightening.

Step 9: I routed the angel eye wiring around te reflector housing and back out the bottom OEM projector hole (Hi beam hole in back).

OOPS, CUSTOM MOD NEEDED:

When I test fit the lens back on the housing the reflector ring touched the projector bulb. It wouldn't seal correctly. Out came the dremel.

Step 10: Lightly grind down a small groove on the lens silver reflector ring (the ring that normally covers around the stock high beam).

Picture:

Keep test fitting and grind slowly. I did it well enough that you can't notice the grind from the outside when headlight is put back together.

Step 11: Put lens and headlight setup back into oven for 5 minutes to soften glue.

At this point I used the grey goop that came with the projector housing. I do not suggest you use this as it's not the same as the OEM glue, it's simply grey silicone. Does the job fine but takes away the tackyness of the factory seal.

Step 12: Silicone outside of lens / headlight housing to prevent any leaks.

Step 13: Let dry.

Step 14: Reassemble headlight into front fairing.

All done for now. Next is to wire HID setup and provide you with some tests of light output. For now just enjoy the pics and check out my cool pearl Orange paint job on the nose :) .

Total cost was about $135 for 2 x bulb setup, Busa will use just one and other will be sold to buddy.

2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
Re: HID projector install with PICS (plug and play version)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:35:06 PM »
 :thumb:

Nice write-up.

Need more info on what HID setup to get/use.

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 11:17:26 PM »
:thumb:

Nice write-up.

Need more info on what HID setup to get/use.

I ordered this setup from ebay, letting seller know I needed a H7 pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200404377261&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

I do suggest anyone thinking about ordering a set wait until I power on and can see the light output before deciding on a projector / HID.  

Another alternative is;

http://www.bikelitez.com/PROJECTOR_HID_CCFL_HALO_EYES_KIT_p/projector%20headlight%20kit%208.htm

2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:39:39 AM »
Eagerly awaiting your night time pics.  If you have a buddy with a stock busa light try to have both for comparison.  I am interested in the light output of your conversion along with the cut off pattern etc.

Good job!

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 01:54:48 PM »
Any updates on output?  I'm a lil excited to try this mod out.  Been running regular HID for 3 years now, love that, but don't like cutoff....and like to mod. LOL

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
I got the bike wired and took it outside for a quick visual test.  Sorry no pics yet as I'm also trying to get a regular HID installed Hayabusa as comparison.

The light output is HID amazing.  Much brighter then the stock (obviously) and it has the coverage of the stock beam pattern.  Looks like a U shape spread with the top of the U being cut-off by the projectors internal shielding.  I turned on stock highbeam and although it is over powered by the low HID I could still see it and tell it was slightly higher and the hi projector focused the beam to the middle vs. the spread from the low projector.

Of course a picture is worth a 1000 words so I'll get some ASAP.

One negative, I did walk out in front of the bike (~50 feet) and look at the beam from eye level (6'); it did have some direct light projection into my eyes (will I blind other cars) and a mild glare.  Best I can gather is this the reflective light bouncing off the stock hi beam reflector ring.  I'm going to have to compare to a stock mount HID and a stock bulb to tell you if this is problematic (i.e. will you get flashed with this kit).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:50:17 PM by car2slo »
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
    • http://www.indepentconnection.org
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »
Nice add on. Does the high beam work on the HID unit itself?

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 09:42:39 PM »
Yeah, we're wondering if the kit in the ebay link you sent has some sort of hi/lo function built into the unit.  Some systems have a mechanism that moves a reflector or something creating a hi/lo effect.  From the description on ebay (broken chinesnglish) it may have it.

Just the spread pattern alone will be worth it.  Rhythm and I will be on this fast!

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »
Thebbusa: The kit I ordered (and linked) does have a seperate Hi-low function.  I haven't hooked it up as I didn't need it but looking at the projector it has a mechanical movement using a convertor box.  I actually wired the projector bulb with a spare DDM slim 35W ballast I had as it is much smaller (and waterproof) compared to the ballast supplied.  Well worth the extra cost of order one from DDM in addition to the projector kit.

Update:

I wish I had my camera tonight.  Took out the bike to meet a couple busa's at the local poser shop and met with a buddy that did the DDM regular HID install on his busa.

Wow, what a difference in kits.  The regular DDM kit was bright and supplied blinding light.  I couldn't tell where the light was illuminating the road as it had so much dispersion and looking directly at the light it had substantial glare.

Compared to my projector kit, my kit was vary focused beam.  Standing in front there was some light glare as I need to adjust my projector down but as I stepped to the side or moved up and down the light changed so it didn't blind as badly.  The projector kept the beam focused and although the stock HID setup looked brighter (me staring in front) my projector provided more visible light in a concentrated area similar to the stock viewing angle.  The cut-off to prevent blinding was also very evident.

I promise to get pics in a day of the two bikes side by side.  Taking it from my visual, without pics yet, definitely get the projector setup I did.  It provides much more usable light, makes the headlight look good and minimizes glare and blinding effects (some adjustment needed).

PICS COMING SOON!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:17:17 AM by car2slo »
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 02:29:38 AM »

Great to see you still hangin, Brutha! How is life treating you? So good!!!  :thumb: :thumb:

-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 08:30:56 AM »
That's great to hear!  Thanks for the report.

How long did it take that seller to get you your product?

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 12:25:31 PM »
How long did it take that seller to get you your product?

Took about 3 weeks to get to me.  There was some volcanic ash slow down during my shipping so I suspect anywhere from 2-4 weeks to most of the US.
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »
We (Rhythm and I) ordered ours, so...now we wait.   :thumb:

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 08:12:38 AM »

Check your PM, Brutha.

Great to see you still hangin, Brutha! How is life treating you? So good!!!  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 12:47:53 PM »
UPDATE:

Just my luck. I met up with rider with stock DDM HID install and took my camera. As soon as I powered it on and tried to get first shot, no memory card. Wife had taken it out to get developed! :(

I ended up having to take the pics with my iPhone lousy camera. Sorry for the quality but you still get the jist of things.

My HID kit, DDM 35W ballast with Projector lens. 5000K bulb. Comparison to buddy's DDM 35W ballast stock HID bulb, 6000K bulb.

My projector bike is on right (orange / black) with DDM HID on left. -->

Behind the dash view, my bike now on left and stock DDM HID on right. -->

His HID off and mine ON -->

My HID projector off and his ON -->

Behind the cluster, his DDM HID view -->

Behind the cluster, my projector HID view -->

Reference image sagainst object, yes I know I adjusted my beam too low, will bring it up -->

Reference against object, stock DDM HID -->

2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 09:11:08 PM »
LQQK'n good. Thanks 4 sharing.  8)

Offline busaBuster

• Rider
  • [URL=http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii243/mike
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 03:19:20 AM »
great post
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Red/black Busa seems brighter without the mod.  :shock:
-Chris

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 08:13:41 PM »
Red/black Busa seems brighter without the mod.  :shock:

It is.  Problem is that alot of that visible light is glare while the projector focuses the light to reduce problems with oncoming traffic.  Also the pattern of the projector makes for more usable light for the rider.
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 12:05:44 AM »
Red/black Busa seems brighter without the mod.  :shock:

It is.  Problem is that alot of that visible light is glare while the projector focuses the light to reduce problems with oncoming traffic.  Also the pattern of the projector makes for more usable light for the rider.

Thanks for that. It makes sense now. So, how much total for this- time and money?

Edit; Oops,, I found it. 135.00.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:08:32 AM by Cookie »
-Chris

Offline thebbbusa

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
Ours came today....and it's supposed to rain today and tomorrow!  Perfect timing for modding!   :thumb:

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:49 PM »
Ours came today....and it's supposed to rain today and tomorrow!  Perfect timing for modding!   :thumb:

Pics.  Wouldn't mind seeing this on a few different bikes and colors.

P.S.  The $135 cost is for two (2) projectors.  A single isn't much cheaper so it's worth getting a buddy to split a kit.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:25:22 PM by car2slo »
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline ICEMANN

• Mad Post Whore
  • How ya doin?
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
the only thing that would be nice if the beam would take advantage of the large reflector of the busa stock light and add to it's light abilities.  Now all the light is forward of the reflector and out the focused lens.  Yea that is exactly what you want, and  It's still much better than the straight up hid bulb version.  Gives me some ideas.  Be nice to get the best of both worlds.  Ive noticed on both units.  The bulb and the focused lens, that in a turn there is a considerable amount of "no light area".  Blinded in the turn due to bike angle.  The raw bulb non focused hid does much better in that area however is no comparrison to the focused unit.  Being a chinese copy I really wonder how "focused" it really is.  Or is it just jammed in there.  Other than looks what does the halo do?  is there a seperate lead to turn it on/off independant than the HID?  lastly.  any low idle flickers experienced.  when the power voltage drops at idle does the focused bulb begin to flicker on/off like a stobe?

jd
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 09:25:45 PM by ICEMANN »

jd

Offline car2slo

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
Understand something of what you're saying;  I thought about adding LEDs underlighting around the projector (hidden under the bezel) to add a glow effect.  But you may be able to add another lighting effect.

Halo is seperate wire set, I actually disconnected it on my bike.  I believe it's simply for looks but may be a good parking light.

I have no problems with flicker.  I am however using a DDM 35W digital slim balast with no problems at idle.

the only thing that would be nice if the beam would take advantage of the large reflector of the busa stock light and add to it's light abilities.  Now all the light is forward of the reflector and out the focused lens.  Yea that is exactly what you want, and  It's still much better than the straight up hid bulb version.  Gives me some ideas.  Be nice to get the best of both worlds.  Ive noticed on both units.  The bulb and the focused lens, that in a turn there is a considerable amount of "no light area".  Blinded in the turn due to bike angle.  The raw bulb non focused hid does much better in that area however is no comparrison to the focused unit.  Being a chinese copy I really wonder how "focused" it really is.  Or is it just jammed in there.  Other than looks what does the halo do?  is there a seperate lead to turn it on/off independant than the HID?  lastly.  any low idle flickers experienced.  when the power voltage drops at idle does the focused bulb begin to flicker on/off like a stobe?

jd
2002 Hayabusa-T

Offline RHYTHM

• Post Master
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:15 AM »
Icemann, you are correct. However the no light area you are referring to is no concern when you are turning. My eyes are usually on the road, especially when riding at night going into a turn. U got me into the HID's game when it all started with bikes back in 01,and feel you are the best person to ask when it comes to this subject.  I think you will be impress with my new focus hid setup when you see it this weekend at Deala Gap.

Holla