Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: busted cases-starter kick back  (Read 8954 times)

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
busted cases-starter kick back
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
ok...need some advice here.  gen 1 busa, stock motor..kicked back on starting and busted the starter covers and cases !! Damit !!! is there a shop that can repair the shoulder the shaft sits in   in the case??  or do i need new cases?? is there a case guard to prevent that happening AGAIN ???? please advise...THANX for some advise on this !

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: busted cases-starter kick back
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »
Schnitz sells a titanium sleeve that goes over the boss.

As for fixing it, anything can be fixed, but you may be better suited to just get new cases.
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
ugh! i was hopin not to hear that! oh well..guess ill pull the other motor out of my other bike and THIS time put the sleeve on it !!!!!! thanx!!

Offline STREETDRAG

• Rider
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:47 AM »
one never let a battery get weak in the 99-02 bikes... you can fix in the frame if you have a person that's really good at welding and measuring.. they can weld it up but once broke the sleeve really isn't much use...be sure if in frame doing it to remove the ecu..

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26:33 PM »
Carpenter fixed mine, mill stock boss off, bore a hole for new boss, insert with a press fit, weld from behind, before inserting boss its drilled for stock idler pin.. GOOD AS NEW!!  a little pricey, around 250, and he  probably won't do it unless your getting a head done..Can't really blame him as it ties up the Haas 5 axis for a few.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 03:26:45 PM »
thank you Mr Knecum for the advice !! now i kno its possible.   :)  $250 vs new cases..not hard to decide on that one !  haha  thanx again !  ps...will i be able to hit 240mph with that mod??!!! (just kiddin..) congratulations to you on your accomplishment!! whew..if only us mortals could do that good !!!!!! hehe

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
thank you Mr Knecum for the advice !! now i kno its possible.   :)  $250 vs new cases..not hard to decide on that one !  haha  thanx again !  ps...will i be able to hit 240mph with that mod??!!! (just kiddin..) congratulations to you on your accomplishment!! whew..if only us mortals could do that good !!!!!! hehe
  Thanks for the kind words...Like I said though, as good or better then new, but remember he might not do it unless you have a head getting done.

Offline jbusa333

• Rider
  • lets take it to the streets
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
hey buddy, i had the same happen to me before and i got it to work again the cheap way.
what i did was cut a long bolt down to exact size and and stuck it inside the pin where the case broke.
the bolt will be longer than the pin so it will stay in place. i also put a billet housing, witch is used when putting electron carbs on the bike. this cover is very strong bye it self but a bit pricey. if u have any questions feel free to call me and i can explain better. i have done three other busas at my shop with same problem. 
347 372 2068, jose
2ND TO NONE CYCLES
fastest and baddest street bikes in brooklyn
67" nos gsxr 1100 (dino)
swb nos busa (da omen)
gixx 1000 (rockstar)

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
thanx jbusa !! that sounds like a great fix!..how much is the billet housing/where do i get one? that will save my arse for sure!!!! DID NOT want to pull the motor and completely dissamble just for a fix !!  THANK YOU for that hot tip !!!!!!!!!  :clp: :tu: :id:

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 05:08:32 PM »
thanx jbusa !! that sounds like a great fix!..how much is the billet housing/where do i get one? that will save my arse for sure!!!! DID NOT want to pull the motor and completely dissamble just for a fix !!  THANK YOU for that hot tip !!!!!!!!!  :clp: :tu: :id:

Call fast by fast for the cover, but remember not all breaks are the same, some actually break the case and their junk!

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:15 AM »
thanx my friend (knecum) for the great advise !!! i  will inspect thouroughly befor attempting fix !! good luck  in your record breaking runs !!!  ps... couldnt find number for Fast by Fast ??!!  haha did find Fast by Gast tho !!!! ;-))))) later bro..... :tu:

Offline 1bondoman

• Post Master
  • Rollin on a TurboBusa!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »
IVE SEEN ADAMS PERFORMANCE HERE IN MOORESVILLE FIX THEM WITH MOTOR IN THE BIKE,NOT CHEAP THOUGH.  :eek:
Formerly ZX12Rider in the Dirty MO 
<a href="htt

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:51:11 AM »
thanx my friend (knecum) for the great advise !!! i  will inspect thouroughly befor attempting fix !! good luck  in your record breaking runs !!!  ps... couldnt find number for Fast by Fast ??!!  haha did find Fast by Gast tho !!!! ;-))))) later bro..... :tu:
.  Your welcome!  Fast by fast!! Lol. Damn auto text!!

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
ok guys...got it fixed !!!  :tu: friend of mine (Jerry Koscinski) had a fixture made up for just that problem.  drilled the original hole about 3/4" deeper...had a bolt machined to slip inside the stock shaft wth a head on it that fit into the new deeper hole in case.  WORKS great !!! yep...im a happy camper !! thanks for all the info guys ! i do appreciate it for sure!! now....lets go race !!!  :bike:  btw..i managed to get the #1 ET Bike Points Champ title for 2012 at Centerville Dragway (1000') !! pretty good for a 64 year old !! haha  old dog...new tricks !!  lets see what 2013 has to offer ??!!

Offline 1bondoman

• Post Master
  • Rollin on a TurboBusa!
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
ok guys...got it fixed !!!  :tu: friend of mine (Jerry Koscinski) had a fixture made up for just that problem.  drilled the original hole about 3/4" deeper...had a bolt machined to slip inside the stock shaft wth a head on it that fit into the new deeper hole in case.  WORKS great !!! yep...im a happy camper !! thanks for all the info guys ! i do appreciate it for sure!! now....lets go race !!!  :bike:  btw..i managed to get the #1 ET Bike Points Champ title for 2012 at Centerville Dragway (1000') !! pretty good for a 64 year old !! haha  old dog...new tricks !!  lets see what 2013 has to offer ??!!
no pics?
Formerly ZX12Rider in the Dirty MO 
<a href="htt