Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 240 conversion Who's done this?  (Read 9616 times)

Offline J.R.

• Post Whore
240 conversion Who's done this?
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
They advertise bolt on. Now, I've never seen any conversion be a true bolt on. I've been building bikes for twenty years but my experience tells me this is not absolute. My brother is doing this conversion and it seems he's going to have to make a spacer for the sprocket side.

Can anybody that's done this conversion shed some insight on what he should expect? I just need someone with experience in this conversion to give some advise. If you have brothers you can understand my situation. "IT SHOULD BOLT RIGHT ON....THAT'S WHAT THEY SAID..." my brothers words. He ain't listening to me. :arg: HELP PLEASE!!
The Wizard
Old dudes still can get it done!! Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time!

Offline Bigrod330

• Rider
Re: 240 conversion Who's done this?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
It may bolt right up?  But for a 240 kit on a busa.....you need to grind the inside of the frame for the chain to not rub if you want the tire as center as possible.  The trick on the 240 kits is getting the rear close to center as possible.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
Dave here..have been runnin a 240 for about 4 years , over 20k miles wth it (and i pull a trailer also) WITHOUT any problems!! all bikes are personal builds and reflect the character of the driver ...so each bike is different. im an oldschool dragracer. so my 05 busa is slamed and stretched 10" over (Trac arm wth underbrace) and i run a strut instead of shock (jus like the slamed look). im NOT a wanabe roadracer but my tires are worn from side to side ( no chicken strips) so basically its up to your ability that determines how the bike handles.  the 240 is a perfect size because it does handle well ( especially if you use one of the new Pirelli 240's) .  and now all the wanabe roadracers will chime and tell you im crazy blah blah blah. i built my ride the way I WANTED IT !! wouldnt change a thing. it has the look, feel and ride that i am happy with.  i have had it at the track (1000 ft drag) and ran a best 7.80 at 138 mph with 1.50 60 ft times.. not bad for a 61 year old after  a heart attack and bipass !!  as for the conversion...takes an afternoon. no big deal. you have to grind the inside of the frame for chain clearance (also grind the inside of the chain cover for clearance). the rest of it is bolt on.  you can still run stock exhaust if you want.  the tire will be offset about 1/4 inch to the right for chain clearance ( you wont even notice this while riding). you'll need a longer chain and brake line(depending on stretch) .  I promise you wont be disappointed with this conversion. I am very happy with mine and have no thoughts of going back to stock.  any other questions...please ask.  happy to share my little bit of knowledge with anyone that it will help! take care, ride safe and have a blessed day !!!  peace yal!

Offline MITCH1914

• Post Whore
  • G.O.M.A.B.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:22:03 AM »
Busamedic,  you mind posting a pic of your bike?
G.O.M.A.B.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:53:49 PM »
haha..i was afraid youd ask that?!  i be glad to but i'll have to get a geek to sho me how to post it on here!! im real old school ! sorry, soon as i can figure out how i will!  be patient.

Offline unit176

• Post Whore
  • Bigger is better!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 11:10:32 PM »
I wasn't overly impressed with the 240 kit because it isn't a true bolt on and you have to grind out the inside of the left frame rail if it iis a truely centered rear wheel design.  He shouldn't have to make or buy a spacer for fo the sprocket, they sell counter spaced sprockets that are slightly outbound to clear the larger rear wheel.  If someone would have said that the kit required frame grinding I would have went bigger in the tire size and done a jackshaft or OSD set up from the beggining. 

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
Busamedic I would never tell anyone not to build your bike the way you want to. But saying that a 240 on the back will handle just as good as a rounder profile is bad advice. The 240 is what a 40 series tire?? that means it has less profile and is a flatter tire, so yes its easier to run side to side but has less lean angle. I run a 190/55 on the back of my B king and at stock height I drag the pegs and run the 120/70 front tire to the edge. It is impossible for a 240/40 to handle a curve like a 190/55, there is just not enough meat on the sides to support the lean angles.

I had a M 109 that had a 240/40 or 240/35 I cant remember for sure. I ran that tire to the edge and ground pegs, and frame and exhaust, but I was not ever even close to half the lean angle that the B king will achieve. The true road race bikes are narrower then the B king, which is as wide as a busa, they will lean ever farther because they can use the full tire before they drag parts. I can only use about 85-90% of a 190/55 and 120/70 before I am dragging parts.

Please build your bike the way you want to, I know it will look great cause I love how the slammed stretched bikes look. But please, there is no need to say that bike will handle like stock. Lowering it will not handle like stock, because you touch down easier, not to mention changing so many aspects of turn in. Stretching it will not handle like stock, longer bike is slower to turn, just the laws of physics. Wider flatter tire will not handle like stock, because of what is described above. Will the bike do what you want it to when its all done? I am sure it will, and a good rider on a long, low, wide bike can run as hard as a weak rider on a 1k. Just like my B king shows up many 600-1k bikes on the back roads, but I would never dare to dream that the Busa/king is in any way faster then those bikes in the curves.  

I am no wana b road racer, I do love to road race, and I do love to understand and set up bikes to do so. Its my thing, just like I would never call anyone on here a wana b drag racer cause there bike is lowered and stretched and they went to a drag strip a few times. Most people cant ride there bikes to the bikes full potential, I still cant and I have been doing this for along time. That is why most people never really notice a change when they go longer, lower, wider, there still riding withen there means and the bike just doesnt have any extra to give.  Give me one of these lowered, longer, wider bikes, and I will bring it back to you without peg feelers, but I will still be slower then if I was on my b king.

Ask any of my guys that I rode with when I had the 109, I would work the holy hell out of that bike. No matter how hard I rode it, no matter how perfect my lines where, no matter how close I was to  the very edge. They would just walk around me at will because they had to much extra room to play with.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 04:06:30 PM by Quijinn »
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 09:50:44 PM »
im tryin really hard to appreciate YOUR point of view dude..but i been here before with you.  its really gettin lame to hear your same ole game and hatin the 240.  dude theres people out here that love a 240..STOP HATIN EM!!! YOU AINT GONNA CHANGE EM!!  ok???  How many Busas are in the TOP 10 in road racin???  didnt catch that ??? HOW MANY?  oh, thats right NONE?! come on dude..relax, enjoy life and youll live longer without stress.  if you dont like the 240..please..DONT USE ONE !! we're not gona hate you for it.  i run a strut. NO..it doesnt handle like stock..DUH. doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.  thanks for filling us in tho, i sure needed that .  im really proud that can run the pegs off a 109..and your point?  i could run the pegs off a Goldwing...but who cares?!  point is..people will still mount 240 whether you like it or not soooooo..relax...enjoy the diversity. we're all brothers in the wind!  peace yal         

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »
Seriously man I dont know who's post you are reading, but it wasent mine. I stated many times that I would never tell anyone how to build a bike. I am telling you, dont tell others that a 240 will not change how a bike handles. It is physically impossible for a 240/40 to hang with a 190/55 tire same bike same rider. There is not enough side wall, and the profile is far to flat. That is the only point I am making, do what you want with your bike, its yours. I also stated that the Busa and B king could not hang with a 600-1000k bike, its not possible as the ground clearance issue of the Busa motor,  not to mention the weight difference..... Please learn to comprehend what I am writing before u try to blast on it, no where did I try to change anyone's mind. NO where did I say anything about a Busa beating any sport bikes on a road course, if anything I said the opposite, even gave examples why.

A 240 looks great on a Busa, so do extended swing arms and lowered, I have never hated on a bike. Hell I have helped my firends work on there bikes to extend them and lower them, yah I am a real hater lol. My whole point you missed through multiple examples is. When you change the profile, the trail, the lenght of a bike it will change how it handles. Lord knows I have set up many bikes in different ways so I have first hand experience. The 109 example was to show I have ridden a 240 tire and burned it from edge to edge, it was done at half the lean angle that the 190/50 or 190/55 will achieve.

Fact if you put a 240 on a sport bike it will not handle like a stock bike.
Fact I dont hate on others bikes, even ones I dont like I respect the work that goes into it.
It would be closer to running a shinko 003 then a 190/50-55 road race profile tire, so just stop saying it wont change the bikes handling. It might not have changed it for you since you dont lean the bike, but for me it would cause me alot of issues. I have found the edge of a 180/55, its round but not enough sidewall for the weight of the bike. I Have not found the edge of a 190/55 cause the pegs touch down, with a decent amount of tire to spare.

I am not "hatin" on anything except the fact you are spewing false info. If you doubt me, put a 240/35-40 on any bike you want, and I will road race u with my 190/55 b king, I can show you in lap times. NO its not a my dick is bigger then yours, but it seems you need to be shown to believe anything but your limited experience.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 11:31:11 PM »
ok numbnuts..im really tired of your blah blah blah.  go bac and read my comment a few blocks back.  DIDNT say handles LIKE STOCK!!!  your not impressing anyone with your attitude and im NOT spewing "false info" as you put it.  your continual tirades on me are really lame and im sure all are gettin tired of it.  the guy asked for opinions ( theyre like Aholes) everyone has one.  we get it..NO ONE can out run YOU on your Bqueen..who cares?????  youre a legend in your own mind dude. get over yourself and try to enjoy life alittle.  life really is too short!  ill be glad to tell everyone that youre the fastest guy on here!  really!    :hys: :hys:    peace yal    ps...so what class do you road race your Bking, 109, busa in??? jus wonderin??

Offline Bigrod330

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 05:09:38 AM »
Always has to be one in the group :x

I roll a 330 and yes have scrapped a few thing down low.  We dont care about YOUR lean angle..... :hys:  A 240 has been proven on the trac and keep with the pack no problemo.  So give it a rest.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 07:52:24 AM »
jus one other thing quenjin..nobody said anything about your dick????? why you so insecure????   :hys:  go easy on him Big Rod..your name is intimidating him!!  and by the way..i been riding since 1965, how long u been riding?  raced since 1978, how long you been racing?? do you race in sanctioned events of just on this site?? Ive owned, built, raced over 25 bikes in my "limited experience"..how bout you?  from harley trikes to Top Fuel bikes..how bout you??  please stop your 1/2 page rants and move on to something productive dude.  your jus showing your ignorance now.  we still love ya..little dick..oops i mean little tire and all.  peace yal

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
No 240 is going to put down the same lean angles at a 190/50-55. Its not possible, there profile is to low. The new pilot powers are rated at 52* of lean angle, most other tires in the 190/55 range run 45 plus *. I am sure a 240 is good for maybe 25-30* of lean. Either way ride what you want, it really dont matter, the 240 looks good, never said it didnt, but it wont hang with a rounder profile.

Offline Bigrod330

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 11:32:47 AM »
Anyone with a 240 or bigger prob has no intentions of running the track to NEED to hang with the skinny group?  That is NOT what this thread was about...SO quit taking it there!  On the street ...I bet you could NOT loose me on my fat 330, out of your mirrors.  Even if you have bad vision. :hys:

Then again...Im turbo and prob beat you to the first turn any how....so you'ld looking ahead to catch me.......... :hys:

TAG YOUR IT!

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
lol in the straights I have no doubt about that, but I am very quick in the twistys, I belive you would be very suprised. I am no pro and never claim to be, but I do love twistys as much as guys like Lilmike love drag racing. Its in my blood and I naturally want to set bikes up for it. I wish to god I could ride a smaller bike like a 750 or 1k on the street but after 50 miles my shoulders just give up the ghost. I dont hate on the bigger tires, it never was about that, just about not telling ppl that the 240 will not change anything as Busamedic said. 

Your right thats not what this was about, Busamedic's post was what got me going, other then that I would not have said a word. It really is if you ride conservative for the most part then you wont notice the 240 change. If you ride to the edge, and yes I do ride to the edge, about 1/8th a inch chicken strip on the front tire, I would notice that tire alot.

Offline Bigrod330

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:12:53 PM »
Riders then like your self would notice, but MOST street riders will NOT notice but very little.  I went from stock to a 330 at 9 over and air ride.  I was shocked...it was NOT like I was lead to believe diff.  Very little diff. Yes I have to work it hard to go there but it WILL go.  Now the night the air line  broke on the rear air-ride and i road slammed...big diff.

Where there isa  will ( or just big ballz ) there is a way to put it in the corner!

NOW as of 2 weeks ago Im only 6 over 330 OSD...and I can feel it easier to put it down in the corners.

Is there a diff when going fatter...yes, but unless your a knee dragging track star...nothing to worry about.

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »
Its funny you mention the line blowing and riding slammed. My buddy in Fla slammed his Busa, lower then I recomended for safty on the street. I forget how smooth there roads are in Fla compared to here. Anyway he had it in the weeds and meets this girl who wants a ride on there first date. He raised the bike back up around 1-1.5 inchs and took it for a ride. I get a call from him telling me how much of a difference raiseing it back up made and he is leaving it.

I really belive rake/trail make the biggest difference in turn in, and switch backs, takes more power to make the bike move fast side to side. Longer bike is just slower to turn around the back tire but has less effect then rake/trail. Wider tire has the least effect on turn in, but has a big effect on lean angle. As you said most riders dont lean bikes hard, most would never notice that missing 15-20* of lean angle. I never once said putting a wide tire on will make a bike handle like crap. I know it wont handle like crap, it will reach its limits alot sooner thats the only point I ever tried to make with Busa Medic. If you lower the bike and put a wide tire on you will never need those lean angles anyway cause you will be able to touch pegs at 20-25* of lean angle anyway.

If you read my posts all I ever tried to get across is it wont be like stock, and if you ride to the limits you will need to change your ride style. Its the same if you lower a bike or stretch it, my best friend used to carve hard with me. Few years back he got into lowered Busa's, we still ride together and we still ride hard but when he is at the lean angle limits I still have 40-50% more I can go. You dont notice it so much in the sweepers, its in the tight switch backs that you see it easy. My favorite roads around here have a dozen turns that are between 90-120* turns, kiss your ass turns. One of them is a 120* right hander that goes up 20-25 feet over 150 feet then back into a 120* left turn. If you come in to hot the grade change will bottom out of the forks and you will drag case's. Scary ass turn cause it was cut out of rock, so the walls are flat rock, these are the type of turns that lean angle and ground clearance come in handy. This is where u have to adjust your syle and know your tires limits or it could end up bad.

Everyone has to make there own choices, and I wont say what to do or not to do. When I am setting up a bike I will tell them, this is what I belive will happen and they make there choices. I am useually right when it comes to handling, gotten pretty good at setting up suspention to handle very well. As you said it really comes down to the rider and how they ride that will determin what they do. Every change you make has a sacrafice somewhere, by setting up the bikes to turn in faster and be more stable in the curves I useually end up with a tigher suspention and a harsher ride. Also the bike will drift more in the staights and cross winds play havoc. Not to mention I have to tippy toe hahahaha. There is no perfect setup, I just want everyone here to have the most info possible. I know what its like to make changes and be disapointed cause I belived it would be something else. Thats all.

Offline J.R.

• Post Whore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:29 PM »
Hey fellas, thanks for all the info. The bike is completed I'll have pics up soon. It handles as well as a 240 tired bike would handle. It looks great, which is what my brother was after.
The Wizard
Old dudes still can get it done!! Old age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm every time!

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 06:16:52 PM »
im glad you finished the build!  anxious to see the final product.  i know youll be happy with it and wont go back .  sorry for all the "other" feedback...but i warned u theyd chime in and give u..me.. a hard time.  why cant we all jus get along!!  haha   enjoy your new fat tired ride !!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 11:16:54 AM »
His brother will be happy with it I am sure, and I have never given J.R a hard time about anything on this site ever.

2 words for you Busamedic.... reading comprehension.

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 12:37:52 PM »
two words for you queenjin........... you figure it out!!  peace brother!  ride safe.  :hys: :hys: :hys:

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
  • South Florida, West Palm Beach
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 11:01:04 PM »
you guys made me do it! you kept at it and made me do it!

I  :hrt: FATTIES!!!!!!

there. i've said it. are you happy now!?  :brnt:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline J.R.

• Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:45 PM »
im glad you finished the build!  anxious to see the final product.  i know youll be happy with it and wont go back .  sorry for all the "other" feedback...but i warned u theyd chime in and give u..me.. a hard time.  why cant we all jus get along!!  haha   enjoy your new fat tired ride !!!  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Here you go Dave. I wish I could figure out how to make the pics bigger so you could see the detail! :thumb: Go to this post.
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=149477.msg1432929#bot 

The Wizard

Offline busamedic13

• Rider
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 07:15:52 AM »
ah dude!! that turned out really sweet!  really clean and phat like it should be haha!  rides good dont it!? not a road racer.. but WHO CARES ??? other than you kno who!  you knopw you luv it..and all the girls will too.  there are benefits to a fat rear!  :thumb: :thumb: peace brother..be safe. excellent job!  soon as i get sum instruction (haha) i ll get sum pics of mine on here.