Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: -= The Miami Mile 10/10/10 =-  (Read 15639 times)

Offline Phantom13R

• Rider
-= The Miami Mile 10/10/10 =-
« on: June 11, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »
Next Miami Mile is down the road, but October will be here before you know it!

Visit www.MileMarker-1.com for details

Anyone interested in going? I spoke on the phone with the event organizer and he informed me that they hooked a big investor and they plan on taking this venue to another level.

Aside from being able to run either way (according to wind direction), they plan to have speed certificates like the Texas Mile, Run Ticket printouts like Maxton, and a lot of spectator activities.

This is what the event organizer told me yesterday on the phone... just relaying the message to my fellow gearheads who may want to visit "Magic City" Miami this winter.

The Ace Performance crew will be there with plenty of racebikes.... (including mine this time).

The Miami Mile has the following:

- Perfectly smooth and straight NEW surface

- The ability to run in either direction (great for tailwinds)

- 9/10th mile shutdown

- Texas Mile style Pit Area, a 1 mile long row parallel to the track. No working on top of each other packed like sardines all the way at the finishline. The Miami Mile's pits begin near the STARTING LINE as well.

- Superwide runway (designed for supersonic jets and used as a training facility by the U.S. Military)

- Plenty of amenities, you'll never be hungry or waiting for a restroom.

- ***SHIPHTEEY*** Very laid back organization focused on having FUN rather than enforcing every tiny rule with an iron fist. (so long as it's not a safety issue, of course)

- Small participant list, so everyone gets plenty of runs... along with about an hour of hotlapping towards the end. You'll get as many runs in ONE day as you would at most 2 day events.

- An abundance of pretty South Florida women running around.

- Makes for a great "family" vacation with Orlando being on the way and South Beach a short drive southeast.... and the Florida Key's just an hour south of that.

- There was a DJ at the last event, pumping out music by the pit area.

- Spectators are allowed to watch much closer to the starting line than I've seen at other events. (great for pictures and video!!!)

- Same brand timing equipment used at The Texas Mile.

- An ungodly amount of exotic cars, always a handful of new Lambo's, Ferrari's, Maserati's, Ford GT's, Skyline's, Porches (yes, even the Carrera GT last time!).... along with a 285mph Jet powered Funnycar that set the track record. The wide spectrum of tuner cars and muscle cars (classic and new) were also represented as if it was a tryout for Fast-n-Furious 5.

If anyone has any questions, post them up or PM me. I'm doing the Tech Inspection at the track, please don't hesitate to ask. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

A few videos to help visualize the event for those of you on the fence.... Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mpSyKTyPUM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfX19iqz4oI&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0DYru7zzk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_p0vwhaGJw&feature=related

EDIT: CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EMBED THESE VIDEOS? I tried to use the embed code off of youtube, but it doesn't work for me here for whatever reason. THANKS!!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:40:20 AM by Phantom13R »

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
Re: -= The Miami Mile 10/10/10 =-
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:52:30 PM »
I don't want to start on any kind of rant but this is not true.

- Same timing equipment used at The Texas Mile.

I've also heard that they randomly move the timing lights to get the speeds closer to peoples GPS readings.  Now I've never been there so this is all heard second and third hand.  Ace performance seams to like it and I've meet them at the Texas Mile and they don't seem like the kind of people to lie about something.  I'm just adding my two cents.

Ryan
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline WildBro

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
  • NO Fairies Here
    • Wild Bros Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
I think he is saying same brand name as TX, I believe its Tag Haurer.
I am not sure if I like the "change direction of the track as per wind direction" 
also seems a little negitive on the wording towards other venuses  :(

Bill

Offline Phantom13R

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
Bill, you hit the nail on the head. Yes, the same brand is what I was getting at.

As for the negative comments, it was just some light humor sprinkled in, no harm intended. I've read 10x worse things on here from very well known members about said track.... it's nothing we all haven't cried about for years. Everyone knows "said track" is the hub of LSR this side of the country... no doubt about it.  :thumb:

I have yet to see an LSR track/org that doesn't have it's own set of pro's and con's...... It's what makes each event so unique and challenging.

My apologies if I offended anyone, not my intention.  :(

As for the wind direction, well.... this is one of the few tracks that have that flexibility, why not use it to an advantage? I know if I traveled 10-15 hours to race for ONE day... I'd want the best conditions possible. It's not like tailwinds are absent at other venues, heck most of the records in the books are set with wind assistance... why not increase the odds if you had the ability to do so? I won't even consider going to an event if strong headwinds are predicted... not worth the time, money, or risk.... especially in this economy.

Bill, out of curiosity ... what are your concerns in regards to switching the track configuration?

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 11:41:26 AM by Phantom13R »

Offline WildBro

• Legacy Rider
  • Post Whore
  • NO Fairies Here
    • Wild Bros Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »

Bill, out of curiosity ... what are your concerns in regards to switching the track configuration?

I believe I go faster in a little head wind  :D 
More then that, it takes some of the chance out of it.  You are absolutely right on, for the reason its done, but it just feels funny to me.  Makes me think, whats next racing down hill. 

Looking forward to racing the winter months in Miami.   If you see the guy with the jet car.... tell him I'm coming for him  :hys:

Bill

Offline Phantom13R

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 11:50:01 AM »

I've also heard that they randomly move the timing lights to get the speeds closer to peoples GPS readings.  Now I've never been there so this is all heard second and third hand.  Ace performance seams to like it and I've meet them at the Texas Mile and they don't seem like the kind of people to lie about something.  I'm just adding my two cents.

Ryan

The timing lights have been adjusted during an event to get them closer to actual speeds. Nothing new in LSR, it's been done at Maxton before when their lights have been off during an event. The organization went through some growing pains in regards to the lights the last couple events, but lessons were learned and they have informed me that they are confident the lights will not be an issue anymore.

Offline Phantom13R

• Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:35:07 PM »

I believe I go faster in a little head wind  :D  
More then that, it takes some of the chance out of it.  You are absolutely right on, for the reason its done, but it just feels funny to me.  Makes me think, whats next racing down hill.  

Looking forward to racing the winter months in Miami.   If you see the guy with the jet car.... tell him I'm coming for him  :hys:

Bill

Bill....if you go any faster the stickers will peel off your fairings.  :hys:

I had a feeling you'd reply with something along those lines. The same thing crossed my mind initially, but then I thought to myself, "Just about all the records are set with tailwinds.... why not give future competitors the same opportunity to run in similar conditions?

Some may think it's not fair, but IMHO it levels the playing field by taking "chance" out of the equation. When you think about it... it's actually MORE fair from a competitor's standpoint. I can name quite a few bikes that are clearly faster than the bikes which hold the record in their class and have proven it in head-to-head competition, but haven't been lucky enough to catch the same conditions.

Some may argue that the "chance" is part of the sport, and that very well may be the case... but it's not like these LSR tracks are in every major city with events held every weekend like the 1/4 mile drags. (oh man, wouldn't that be the greatest thing ever?!)

As for the jetcar...... It took off so sloooooow, took forever to build speed.... then at about the 3/4 mile it hit the afterburner and went from 200 to 285mph in like 2 seconds flat. Weird seeing something going 200+mph, then violently accelerate like it was at a dead stop. Never seen anything like it.

When that afterburner hit, everyone suddenly became very religious. All I kept hearing was, "HOLY SH*T", "OH MY GOD", "JESUS CHR*ST", etc....   :lol:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:03:32 PM by Phantom13R »

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:16:11 PM »

Ryan

The timing lights have been adjusted during an event to get them closer to actual speeds. Nothing new in LSR, it's been done at Maxton before when their lights have been off during an event. The organization went through some growing pains in regards to the lights the last couple events, but lessons were learned and they have informed me that they are confident the lights will not be an issue anymore.

So how does this make a mile run valid?  I could just complain to someone about the time slip and say my gps says a bigger speed.  Does your post mean that they should move it for me?  What if Tom Gates says something like this at the next event and then posts a faster speed than Shane Stubbs?  Should this run count since the timing lights were moved?  If you move the timing lights then you no linger have a certified mile run and all records are void.  This is a no brainer and would never happen at the Texas Mile. 
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 11:44:03 PM »
Just a general observation:

Let's just have some fun out there. Petty bickering is just that.

Otherwise, everyone bring a measuring tape and whip out your c*cks. It's a lot faster, and everyone is still friends at the end...because there is no dispute over the facts.  :hys:

This "my venue vs. your venue" shit is very tired.  

Shane
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:47:41 PM by Warp12 »

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 05:58:43 AM »

Ryan

The timing lights have been adjusted during an event to get them closer to actual speeds. Nothing new in LSR it's been done at Maxton before when their lights have been off during an event.,  The organization went through some growing pains in regards to the lights the last couple events, but lessons were learned and they have informed me that they are confident the lights will not be an issue anymore.

So how does this make a mile run valid?  I could just complain to someone about the time slip and say my gps says a bigger speed.  Does your post mean that they should move it for me?  What if Tom Gates says something like this at the next event and then posts a faster speed than Shane Stubbs?  Should this run count since the timing lights were moved?  If you move the timing lights then you no linger have a certified mile run and all records are void.  This is a no brainer and would never happen at the Texas Mile. 

The timing lights have never been MOVED at Maxton. Many years ago the beams were moved up & down in height to catch a different area of the vehicle (thoughts were that the position wasn't catching enough material on some bikes) and to deal with grasshopper interference but they have never been MOVED.  They are exactly precisely measured & marked as they have always been. The problem with the lights was 100% due to the strength of the batteries running the lights. This was SEVERAL years ago and the battery strength is checked regularly as well as batteries being retired/replaced frequently. There was some experimentation done with secondary lights giving intermediate informational times for the benefit of the teams at one point in time (could they have been moved around? possibly) but the primary lights used for certified timing have never changed position.

Offline Phantom13R

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 06:31:11 AM »
Debbie, the moving of the timing light HEIGHT is still moving the lights.

That is exactly what occured at the Miami Mile.

Thank you for coming forward with this information, I didn't want to be the one to go into detail about it since I was not there.

The Miami Mile is in it's infancy. Just like anything "new", there are going to be wrinkles that need to be ironed out. I'll be the first one to tell the world that Miami is nowhere near the level obtained at the premier venues such as Bonneville, Maxton, Texas, etc....  but they are working hard to get to that level and hope to one day push the envelope and take LSR to the next level.

Arnie, The Miami guys are trying to model themselves using TEXAS and MAXTON as the measuring stick. The level of professionalism and prestige NASA and ECTA hold is what they aspire to achieve in time.

To quote the honorable Keith Turk, "Let's be SAFE, have Fun, and Go Fast..... IN THAT ORDER.". That's the spirit of the Miami Mile to a T, IMO. It's much more about having fun, enjoying the company of fellow gearheads and speed freaks, hauling ass, and watching amazingly fast supercars and superbikes scream their heads off down the track.

Each event is better than the last, and now that the teething process is behind them.... I'm sure we'll all be seeing more of what we expect from a premier LSR event.

As for GPS, well..... I've raced at other tracks using GPS and you'd be shocked at it's accuracy.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:42:14 AM by Phantom13R »

Offline Arnie3600

• Rider
    • The Texas Mile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 06:37:11 AM »

As for GPS, well..... I've raced at other tracks using GPS and you'd be shocked at it's accuracy.

Yea but it doesn't know where the timing trap is and continues to read while you accelerate though them.
Ryan Arnold
Race Director
Texas Mile
Colorado Mile
Arkansas Mile
Houston 1/2 Mile

Offline Phantom13R

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 06:45:35 AM »
Arnie, I agree 100%

The refresh rate on these GPS units is approx. 1 second. The vehicles being used to check the lights were NOT accelerating, but rather holding a speed through the lights.

Thanks for the input though, it's not just welcomed... it's appreciated!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 06:48:04 AM by Phantom13R »

Offline TURBO KING

• Fast Rider
  • Post Master
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52:57 AM »
For what it's worth, my GPS was almost ALWAYS exactly 1 mph off of my timing slip, and this was over the course of hundreds of runs.  I took extensive notes and recorded everything.  Very rarely, it would be off 2 mph, probably due to the refresh rate that Phantom mentioned.  If you have a hundred people running a gps in/on their vehicle, and everyone is getting within 1 mph, there is no question in my mind that the lights are "on the money".  I think it is useful as a backup tool for conformation (and also to let you know ahead of time what your timing slip will say when you get to impound!) that the lights are accurate, but of course, shouldn't be used to set records.  I couldn't imagine running WITHOUT one.  There were plenty of times where I felt "Those lights are way off!" until I started talking to other people with gps units, and then started running my own.  Then I stopped thinking THAT anymore!

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard, DaveO, Rick

Offline DahMurf

• Post Master
  • 2006 Hayabusa
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:39:16 AM »
As a point of intrest in regards to the GPS discussion, there is a dead spot on the Maxton track just after the traps but before short shut down. I'd say 1/3 to a 1/2 way to short shut down. That may be part of why the GPS is so close to the trap speed. If you can't get the refresh just after the trap you likely won't grab any acceleration speeds beyond the trap or if you do it's just after the trap. Things you learn when you're walking the track. It's subtle, but it's there.

We also repeatedly lost signal on the Loring track. I didn't spend enough time pinpointing the spot I just wanted to note if there was a loss which there was. I think it was closer to the start line but once I knew there was a loss I didn't put much weight into the GPS.

Offline Warp12

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 11:51:01 AM »
Is there a good primer somewhere on how timing lights function? I mean, I know the basics...but I am curioius as to whether small changes in alignment (say due to deflection caused by heating of the mounting system, or something like that) can affect speeds significantly?

I was told by more than one person that the GPS was reading 2-3 mph different from the slips at Loring. I also recall racing being stopped because the wind blew some of the timing equipment over. On Sunday it was an awesome wind!  :thumb:

But, overall the bottom line is this: Timing slips, not GPS #'s, determine records...

Shane

Offline RansomT

• Post Master
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 01:28:28 PM »
I see from the website that it has been postponed to sometime in December .... Does anyone have any further info??
Fastest 1.5-Mile Pass - 252.222
Fastest 1-Mile Pass - 244.2997
Half Mile - 211.47
Fastest Nitrous Bike
Production Bike
211.079 LTA. P/P 1350

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »
I was hearing January this past weekend, I haven't been on their website though. The talk was that there's some kind of permit hold up.

Offline 106mm

• Post Whore
  • 2007 Turbo Hayabusa
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 04:51:20 PM »
The last winter event was held on January 3rd, 2010. Hopefully it'll be close to that again. It works well with my girlfriend's and my schedule.
The clocks were off when we went (1-3-10). Our GPS read faster than their clocks all day. They made "an adjustment" at about midday, after many complaints. After that, the clocks were closer to the truth. We also never got printed timeslips, just handwritten mph readouts. Kinda funky...Eventually, they made changes to everyone's MPH on their website, citing a % discrepancy during the event.
I hope they are getting more experience with the system and have learned how to get accurate results. The surface there is incredible. It was my GF's first race (2004 Yamaha R6) and I could not have been more impressed with the surface and shutdown area. The next time my Hayabusa runs down a track, it will be at Miami. The shutdown area at Texas freaks me out (I know Bill Warner and Trick Tom are laughing out loud right now. lol).
2007 Turbo Hayabusa
442 hp
Texas Mile 200 mph club

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »
I totally understand and if it was longer it would be safer for everyone  :thumb:

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 09:10:15 AM »
Miami  :ppcrn:

Offline THE ICE MAN

• Post Whore
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2010, 08:51:53 AM »
Called the guy last week he said the city was still working on it and hoping for January.
41 Maxton records 650 750 1000 1350 1650 2000 3000 3001+ classes top speed Turbo Busa 236.96 MPH Busa 1507 NA 223.330 MPH
Fastest N.A. 600 750 1000 1350 @ Maxton
Fastest N.A.Kawasaki ZX12 212.846  1 mile 1287cc
Fastest NA Busa @ Texas mile Goliad 217.0 MPH

Offline entropy

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
Called the guy last week he said the city was still working on it and hoping for January.

Sal,
thanks for the update, maybe i'll have help representing Texas in Jan/Feb, eh Tom?????  JohnnyCheese?????, Gary????, Mike????, Bob????, Shane????, Charlie????, Greg????, Randy????, Don????
Often wrong, but never unsure!!!!!

Offline 106mm

• Post Whore
  • 2007 Turbo Hayabusa
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »
Time is ticking away. Sure wish we could find out something. I have to plan my vacations pretty far in advance...
2007 Turbo Hayabusa
442 hp
Texas Mile 200 mph club

Offline TrickTom1

• HOT ROD
  • Site Donor
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
  • In God We Trust
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 10:03:44 AM »
Time is ticking away. Sure wish we could find out something. I have to plan my vacations pretty far in advance...
I think without much notice it will be a small turn out but it will be good for many runs.