Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Port Tech  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
Port Tech
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
I don't know how many of you have done business with them or how you have been treated, I can only share my experience. I contacted them because of a recommendation from a board member, I sent them my head to be ported and to have cams matched to the port job. The original agreement were for a specific size cam recommended by Bill at port tech. Not only did it take 10+ weeks to receive my head back but upon unpacking it I notice that not only did the cams not match what we agreed to they were'nt even my cams. They were from a Gen 1 Busa and he had pressed a pin in so they would work with the Gen II. When contacted he acted as if he had done me a favor. Also part of the service that I paid for was to have the valve springs upgraded for new cams as well as have the head A. The cams were to be degreed allowing me to  install them as you would some drop-ins. Well I did install cams as advised by Port Tech but when the motor was started there was a tapping noise, I immediately shut the engine off pulled the motor and took it to a local shop to check to make sure I hadn't done some block head move. Well this is what they found. 1) The cam gears were installed incorrectly. 2) The head wasn't shimmed properly for the cams and the numbers the cams were set at made the valves hit the pistons. I have tried over and over to contact Bill at Port Tech but have been basically pushed aside because I'm not some big name racer. I work hard for my money and it's not easy for me to just give up $ 1800 and be treated as if it's no big deal. If you value you money you'd think twice before dealing with this guy unless your a well know racer which I sure then you'd get treated better then I have been!

Offline bigbill1441

• Post Master
Re: Port Tech
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
 :bah:

Offline Yngve

• Post Master
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
It is almost impossible to degree a cam so "wrong" that the valves hits the piston(s) within the adjustment available ( unless you have really big cams ). You must be at least one Thoth off AND completely to one side.

And he camshaft are never "yours". To speed things up I guess he ordered the cams up front and yours are given back to the cam company as a core.

I dont know what I am talking about but I do know that I am right :)

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:13:57 PM »
Well the cams were not off a tooth and they were the size selected by Bill and I forgot the valves were also shimmed wrong leaving too much clearance. As far as the cores being given back, mine were not ordered up front and no matter what you say if I give you Gen II cams thats what I should get back period!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:16:06 PM by Abusive »

Offline crazybill

• Mad Post Whore
    • www.PortTechHeads.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:36:18 AM »
Mr Scales , if you want to burn this bridge lets do it and if I sound pissed off at you its because I am . I dont know what you expected to accomplish here but lets start by revealing the whole story/truth . You call me wanting a ported head and big cams for your otherwise stock gen 2 busa . you want to retain stock pistons and want the cams pre-degreed because you dont know how to do it but you DONT want to send the whole engine . I recieve your head and do the work , immediatly send out your cores and apparently youve never had to wait for cams to be ground because it takes minimum 3-5 weeks on average and with suzuki not having released stock gen 2 cam cores for sale theyre done per order and not a stocked part . I recieved your cams back and took time that you were not charged for and put them in a gen 2 motor and degreed to 106/107 and P to V checked and I was uncomfortable with the piston to valve clearances considering you had no engine building knowledge and no intentions on degreeing your cams (wanted to drop them in per setting in a different motor) and no experience installing them . Ya see Gary i can assure you that you did somthing wrong because I take the time to check piston to valve clearance ? I could have said fuck this guy and sent that setup out but instead took a set of gen 1 cores off the shelf in my shop and had a more suitable set of cams ground for your application and situation and used an offset pin so they would work in your engine . The second set of cams were ground on a rush for me by the great people at web and your still bitching about not having the head back , even though as I was shipping your head out you told me the motor was full of bearing material and you were taking it to the dealership to have the bottom end rebuilt . youve had that head/cams back for what , several months ?  you just now fired it up and your bitching about the turn around time in february/march...
I told you when you first told me you didnt want the gen 1 (with the 30.00 offset brocks pin I supplied for free ) cams Id buy them back right then and send you a set of stock gen2 cores id since acquired and you said no . I had almost a hundred bucks in SHIPPING cams alone all said and done !
 I have built hundreds of engines and shimmed twice as many heads but I did yours incorrectly ? thats just a bald face lie , maybe not from you but at least from whoever makes this claim . your intakes are most certainly .005"-.008"and your exhaust are most certainly .008"-.012" . the clearances are written on the valve cover sealing surface down each respective side of the head in black sharpie if you remember .
 youve tried to contact me ? last time I spoke to you you called to tell me you didnt want to take any chances and had a guy currently degreeing your cams for you and wanted to know what to set them at . So whose setup was this ? you say the cam sprockets are installed wrong ? well please allow me to destroy your current shops credibility because we both know I have a picture of the cam sprockets installed on those specific cams from the file I sent you showing you how to install cams . Last thing I told you was to feel free to call me if you have any questions or concerns about assembling this thing .
I have not recieved a single message or e-mail or pm or anything from you since the day you told me someone else was going to degree those cams to be safe .  your right I did go out of my way for you bud as I do most of my customers . How many times was I on the phone with you for 20-30 minutes trying to explain to you how this stuff works together ? Im disappointed you couldnt just call me and thought that this skewed story would accomplish somthing for you but all I am going to say is good luck , In nearly 5years since I opened shop to do this full time ,  and countless heads and engines your the first customer I know of I havent been able too please .  Im far to busy to argue with you and im sure the knowledgable memebers of this site will agree this is a case of an amature getting in over his head . next ti me send the whole motor to your builder and fire the BS'r thats got it now  (PLEASE ask whoever told you the cam sprockets are installed wrong what hes going to do differently ith them) :hys: . All ya had to do is man up and call me like I asked ya to and Id have tried to help ya figure out what you did wrong , instead your looking to point a finger , so dont try now as Our business was concluded the instant you decided it was a good idea to try to smear my company name...

I wanted to deal with this professionally after I was told about it at a local bike hangout tonight , but youve exhausted my patients as well as my willingness to feed into this for another minute unless I have to post the pics of the cam sprockets discussed above .  

Any other non big name builders feel ive treated you poorly ?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 08:16:15 AM by crazybill »
“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a builder who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

Offline bigbill1441

• Post Master
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »
Always two sides.

Offline Abusive

• Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:59:31 PM »
First off there's no bridge to burn, I'm done with your so called shop. The truth be told you were the one to recommend the big A cams in my so called stock Busa. All this was per you recommendation so I guess you don't know what the F you were talking about! The first set of cams you claimed you got in were what you recommended but were supposedly too big or did one of your friends need a set of cams so you fucked me? As far as my engine building skills what the fuck does that have to do with you and your integrity? You promise one thing then when i get the head and cams it totally different. Youo didn't even have enough concern to at least let me know there was a change I think $1800 is worth at least knowing what the f I paying for! Who gives a damn about you being mad? You lucky I let it go! Learn some customer service skill, you didn't do me a favor I paid for your crappy service. What a joke!