Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Rear Hump Won't Unlock  (Read 9060 times)

Offline Silva

• Rider
Rear Hump Won't Unlock
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »
My rear hump will not unlock. I have had this problem before when the ball came out of the unlocking mechanism. But I caught it before I locked the hump back onto the bike. Is there anyway to take the tail section apart and gain access underneath the hump to manually unlock it? Any ideas would be appreciated!!!
It is what it is.....

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
Re: Rear Hump Won't Unlock
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
pull your seat off, remove one or both of the black plastic pins that hold the short piece of the tail in front of the hump. reach your hand up under the hump and release the latch. Don't ask how I know that!  :hys:
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline Silva

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 07:13:50 PM »
Getting ready to try. Wish me luck!!
It is what it is.....

Offline Silva

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 08:18:59 PM »
No luck. :( I removed the two plastic pins and the middle piece of plastic and could not find the "latch". I also caught hell trying to fit my hand up in there. Am I missing something here? :shock: How far did you have to reach inside before releasing the latch?
It is what it is.....

Offline InlineR

• Rider
  • 2014 White Hot Denim V-Rod Muscle
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:19:47 PM »
you prolly have to have pretty small arms to make this happen...
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »
I reached all the way back to the latch. If you have lagre hands this could be the problem. I am a short skinny guy, ya got any friends that match my discription?
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 02:12:52 AM »
Stop messing around and take the whole tail OFF!

You are not going to KNOW if you have it "seated" in the "pocket" where the ball goes unless you have your eyes on it or know what it feels like when it pops in.

Seat off
Remove all black plastic pop rivets
Remove all bolts. You may need to "break" the factory locktit so prepare to hear a snap when you break free the bolts hold the back bolts and front baggage Allen bolts.
Carefully slide the plastic off until you feel the wire loom for the rear tail light lead.
Disconnect Tail Light Wire loom
Inspect your locking mechanism
Try with key to assure proper installment
Reinstall by reversing process

DO NOT OVER TORQUE!!

Especially the vertically installed Phillips screws on the inside of the rubber grommets. They will strip if too tight and improperly removed.

I hope that helps.  8)
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline InlineR

• Rider
  • 2014 White Hot Denim V-Rod Muscle
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 06:03:29 AM »
uhhh there are 4 bolts and 2 phillips screws under the hump that have to come off to get the tail fairing off...... :thumb:
“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”

Offline Silva

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 10:39:45 AM »
The 2 phillips bolts are the problem. Those are the only bolts keeping the tail section locked down.
It is what it is.....

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 01:47:36 PM »
uhhh there are 4 bolts and 2 phillips screws under the hump that have to come off to get the tail fairing off...... :thumb:
Right. I knew I miss two. :thumb:
-Chris

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 02:01:43 PM »
The 2 phillips bolts are the problem. Those are the only bolts keeping the tail section locked down.

True. They are buggers. Be SURE to have a correct Phillips screwdriver. And this might mean no using the dual-head bit you have in your tool bag., but maybe more correct head like Snap on or Craftsman type quality. Stand sure with head directly installed vertically, and apply pressure. Possibly lightly striking the top of the driver with a hammer to "help" break the bond. You most likely (or maybe not) will hear the ""SNAP"" as it releases, but be patient and this will be the only way you will get those out. Once out, when reinstalling them, only tighten to to moderate levels.

Additional note; same technique needed on air box/filter Phillips heads. You can replace them once out with Allen type screws for future assurance.
-Chris

Offline RMS2005

• Rider
  • Future Busa Pilot...
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 11:11:53 PM »
I finally got mad enough at mine when i pulled a dummy and forgot to hook the cable up after switching blinkers, i got out the dremel tool and cut a hole in the undertail. Dunno if you still have the stock undertail or not but its an option if so. Bought some plasti weld and put the cutout back in.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 11:13:27 PM by RMS2005 »

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 01:05:17 AM »
I finally got mad enough at mine when i pulled a dummy and forgot to hook the cable up after switching blinkers, i got out the dremel tool and cut a hole in the undertail. Dunno if you still have the stock undertail or not but its an option if so. Bought some plasti weld and put the cutout back in.

Actually :wink: doing that same thing and leaving a wire with a loop on it is a nice safety out saving other embarrassing moments. :joker:
-Chris

Offline Silva

• Rider
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »
still got stock undertail. wanted to ride with the fellas at 2pm today. let's see what happens!!
It is what it is.....

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 04:55:59 PM »
I hope I don't have to type this all out again how to get to the latch.
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline Silva

• Rider
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 05:08:33 PM »
I hope I don't have to type this all out again how to get to the latch.

If you know how to without me having to break anything...please lead me in the right direction. Getting frustrated over here.  :evil:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:13:32 PM by Silva »
It is what it is.....

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
Try levering the side of the hump up gently from the rhs , use a rag so not to mark the paint , you should be able to get enough gap to use a long thin screwdriver or wire to push the latch , may need a torch to see in there  too
Official Site Donor

Offline Silva

• Rider
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 01:55:07 PM »
I finally got the hump unlocked. I had to go to Lowe's and buy an 18" thin screwdriver. I opened it with the first try. Now all I need is Brock's 12-24 Volt Starter Box that'll charge both batteries while riding. :wink: Thanks for everyone's input. :thumb:
It is what it is.....

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Now all I need is Brock's 12-24 Volt Starter Box that'll charge both batteries while riding.

Ya, me too!

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 11:42:11 PM »
Are we still working on this?  :lol:
-Chris