Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: DYI Head Porting  (Read 19257 times)

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
Re: DYI Head Porting
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »
huuu?
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

• Post Whore
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 10:37:01 AM »
Changing the profile of the port, enlarging and removing physical obstructions (as caused by valve guides protruding into the port, and misaligned valve seats, ect. ) is where the HP is made. Much of the profile changes that improve HP are a closely guarded secret between head porters and is why one head makes more HP then another.

A nice shiny port flows worse then a slightly rough one. This is due to the boundary layer formed along the walls of the port and a rough (*within reason) keeps the boundary layer from being 'lazy' and results in better flow.

A nice shiny port sells port jobs but doesnt help performance.

-also....

A proper valve job and the angles used on the seat can make a significant difference in HP. True a better flowing profile on the seat wont last 100K miles but will make more HP.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-porting.html

Good lucki

~JH
02 BL/BLK
Garrett T28@7psi

Busa pwrd Bonneville car 208 mph+
2X world record holder
NA motor: 1507cc
Fastest 1.5L NA door slammer in the world

Offline magus

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
  • Zenaku Racing
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
I had heard it is best to leave the intake side a bit ruff for better fuel air mixture.    I know the kws head on the gixxer I had was ruff on both ends.

so is the school of thought that a basic clean up job is pretty worthless?  with or with out polishing after?

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
I am planning on doing a "scotch bright" finish on the intake side and a polish on the exhaust. I am not and expert on this, but it would seem to me it would be better than stock. Please give me your feedback.
 Thanks
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
  • Where am I? Don't worry bout it
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2010, 03:27:57 PM »
Changing the profile of the port, enlarging and removing physical obstructions (as caused by valve guides protruding into the port, and misaligned valve seats, ect. ) is where the HP is made. Much of the profile changes that improve HP are a closely guarded secret between head porters and is why one head makes more HP then another.

A nice shiny port flows worse then a slightly rough one. This is due to the boundary layer formed along the walls of the port and a rough (*within reason) keeps the boundary layer from being 'lazy' and results in better flow.

A nice shiny port sells port jobs but doesnt help performance.

-also....

A proper valve job and the angles used on the seat can make a significant difference in HP. True a better flowing profile on the seat wont last 100K miles but will make more HP.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorcycle/text/cows-porting.html

Good lucki

~JH
I heard it is best to have a "turbulant" airflow that is what happens when you leave the intake side rough.

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 03:50:56 PM »
I heard it is best to have a "turbulant" airflow that is what happens when you leave the intake side rough.

This makes sense when you think about it. I don't want the air/fuel sticking to the walls of the intake port. But rough, how rough? is a scotch bright finish rough enough, or should I leave the 120grit finish?  In the old days we would polish the exhaust side, but the exhaust is still on the wet side. So would the effect be the same on the exhaust side?

Offline tyboogie

• Rider
  • Where am I? Don't worry bout it
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »

This makes sense when you think about it. I don't want the air/fuel sticking to the walls of the intake port. But rough, how rough? is a scotch bright finish rough enough, or should I leave the 120grit finish?  In the old days we would polish the exhaust side, but the exhaust is still on the wet side. So would the effect be the same on the exhaust side?
Hell if I know that's just what I've heard

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »
HA! I am in the same boat! I learn everything the hard way, but I learn good!

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

• Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2010, 07:53:13 PM »
Also welding up your PAIR valve ports help HP. I have never seen any data on this but its a good sized hole in the top of the exhaust port and will hurt exhaust velocity.

Also look at the way I profiled my valve seats to flow with the port on my first posted pic and this (*the other side)

(Before on left, after profiling on R)

You may be able to use these pics to help grind some excess material off your ports. Just make damn sure they are all the same.

Here is a really nasty transition between the OEM valve seat and the port. Its hard to tell how bad it is from the pic but its almost 2.25mm deep. This can all be blended out.

As far as doing your own port job I still say get a ported head from good head porter and copy the profile on your head.
It really is not hard and takes the worry out of going too far and you KNOW you will be making HP.

I will say that I didnt find anywhere on my example head that wasnt enlarged at least 1mm on all surfaces in the port over OEM. (So mesuring from side to side would be 2mm larger diameter).

~JH
02 BL/BLK
Garrett T28@7psi

Busa pwrd Bonneville car 208 mph+
2X world record holder
NA motor: 1507cc
Fastest 1.5L NA door slammer in the world

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2010, 08:13:42 PM »
Thanks again Jonny! I figured I would do just that with the seats. Is that your finished porting job? That has more texture than I had planned to leave.  I wish I could get my hands on a ported head to see where they ground out. I have seen lots of HD heads but no Busa heads. One of my friends builds HiPower Harley motors and he wants to look at my head. He is on his way over now.

Offline dave393

• Rider
  • southcentral MN
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
80 grit is the smoothest you should go. Anymore and you lose low end power. I have ported hundreds of Harley heads over 30 years. Low speed tuning is more difficult.
Interstate Junction Motorcycles ,Minnesota .
 Ward Performance Head and cams 445/415

New Best 1/8 mile  4.90 et  152 mph , 7.54, 184.77

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »

Hell if I know that's just what I've heard

:lol:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nosgsx1300

• Mad Post Whore
  • RCC GT4088R WHOOOT
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 03:52:46 PM »
someone should buy my HMP Ported head and copy it
RCC GT4088R
2011 Loring 204.88mph "naked"
2015 Loring 220.01743 MPH Faired in fifth gear

Offline Chet

• Post Whore
    • Galek Motorsports - Busa Powered Sports Cars
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2010, 11:10:33 AM »
My electric die grinder and porting kit is on its way!  What kind of HP can I expect from a " clean-up and polish" port job? I am going to send out some cams for a .368 regrind also.

I suspect you will loose 2-3HP.

~JH

Unfortunately what "looks good" to the human eye may not work well at all.
Strongly suggest you perform only very minor changes unless you have a proven design to work from.

Chet

Offline ras31

• Rider
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »
My electric die grinder and porting kit is on its way!  What kind of HP can I expect from a " clean-up and polish" port job? I am going to send out some cams for a .368 regrind also.

I suspect you will loose 2-3HP.

~JH

Unfortunately what "looks good" to the human eye may not work well at all.
Strongly suggest you perform only very minor changes unless you have a proven design to work from.

Chet
I agree with that
Dread in Control

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 09:14:32 PM »
Thanks again for all the imput! I have finished the porting and bench shimmed the valves. I will be putting the head on in the next week or two along with cams and a 40 shot and s2000 injectors. I will give you the #'s after the dyno pull. I am going to tune with my wego.
 Thanks again
 Steve

Offline Competition CNC

• Rider
    • CompetitionCNC.com
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:31 AM »
The most important areas are the ports minimum cross sectional area, the short turn radius the valve seat profile and seat choke %.  These are all determined by the size of the engine and at what rpm you want peak hp at.  Intake cam duration is also a factor on determining the ports MCSA.

Any visual surface treatments on a fuel injected modern high velocity port is purely aesthetic and have very little effect on flow or performance. 

It is true that carburetor street engines will like a rougher port wall to help keep the a/f mixture in suspension.  with injectors its not so important.

Jim