Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: What would cause this????  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
What would cause this????
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:31:23 AM »
Okay guys, I could really use some help.  Been trying to solve a problem for months and I just found my first real clue.

This on an 05 GSXR 750 clutch.  Look at the pictures and see if you can tell me what could cause the marks on the clutch hub.  The marks on on both sides of the grooves in the hub.  Supposently the bike started to make a loud grinding noise and vibration all of a sudden after riding fine for months.  No known clutch work, but owner is not original owner.

I could really use some help on this one.

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:46:01 AM by Bus Rydr »

Offline knecum

• Mad Post Whore
  • The Recipe!
    • www.knecumpower.com
Re: What would cause this????
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 09:14:34 PM »
Abuse on the clutch from original owner, if you want it fixed right replace it..  But that shouldn't cause the noise your talking about, look somewhere else..

Offline Rice Ya

• Legacy Rider
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 04:38:39 AM »
Barnett clutch?
Untill you give it everything you've got, you won't know if you got what it takes. Dave Schultz

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 11:45:01 PM »
Abuse on the clutch from original owner, if you want it fixed right replace it..  But that shouldn't cause the noise your talking about, look somewhere else..

Replaced hub, plates and fibers with OEM.  It was also missing the wave spring and washer at the back of the stack.  But you are 100% correct, that was not the source of the problem.

On the bench motor spins fine and free.  On the bike once started it grinds like some gears are meshing wrong.  Can't see any transmission issues, but no expert in that area.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks

Offline Oz Booster

• Site Donor
  • Mad Post Whore
  • aka Maj T
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »
Any hardware in the oil ? metalic,copper,aluminium, could give clues
i would drop the pan and have a good look in it and up into the engine and clean the pickup , also remove the cam cover and visually check the cam timing and chain tension .
Official Site Donor

Offline Bus Rydr

• Post Whore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »
Any hardware in the oil ? metalic,copper,aluminium, could give clues
i would drop the pan and have a good look in it and up into the engine and clean the pickup , also remove the cam cover and visually check the cam timing and chain tension .

Thanks Oz.  I pulled cams, checked timing chain and guides, tensioner and no signs of trouble.  I did not split the cases.  There is a very small amount of metal shavings that look like they came from the clutch basket down in the bottom of the pan.  Very tiny dust like particals. No large chuncks.

I checked the starter and gears and no problems there.  If I push the bike in neutral if sounds like a noise a bike with a kink in the chain would make where it binds at the kink then pops.  But on the bench not a peep when I rotate the crank.  Pulled clutch cable completely off with motor in bike and still makes the same noise.

When started it just grinds to the point you would not leave it running anymore than a second or two.