Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Any suggestions for getting oil grunge off of engine cases?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline turbojonn

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • Friends don't let friends use boost.
I've tried paint thinner, brake cleaner, paint stripper, etc. Muric acid maybe? The oil staining is on the front of my engine cases and the motor is torn down right now so maybe I could hot tank it? I've only heard about hot tanking, never had it done.
RCC turbos rock!!! Rcc- Ultra plenum, case saver, Carillo rods, Wossner pistons, APE springs/tool steel shift shafts, Ferrara valves, ARP studs, lightened and balanced crank, Boostbysmith ecu editor, AMS 1000 with CO2, 475 hp. Mac arm 0-6 over, BST carbon fiber rims. Someday I'm goin' fast!

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
Re: Any suggestions for getting oil grunge off of engine cases?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:33:13 PM »
I've tried paint thinner, brake cleaner, paint stripper, etc. Muric acid maybe? The oil staining is on the front of my engine cases and the motor is torn down right now so maybe I could hot tank it? I've only heard about hot tanking, never had it done.

Don't hot tank any aluminum parts, hot tanks remove metal from aluminum surfaces very fast.

Try using a good degreaser on a hot day, spray on enough to wet the parts then reapply as needed to keep the parts wet with the degreaser for 30 minutes, then wash with hot water.  Gunk engine brite seems to work for me.

Once you have it degreased, use a aluminum acidizer and follow the directions,, any good parts store can get you some. :thumb:
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline adamnflorida

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
i used surface degreaser and a wire brush..this case has 72k miles on it :thumb:

drive it like a rental...

Offline slatroni

• Post Whore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 08:58:13 AM »
oven cleaner, aluminum parts only! rinse well or they turn white.
1397cc brocks 031 cams, APE valve springs, ported head, Muzzys 4-1 full system, PC3USB,4 short stacks, small air box mod, 40 shot of dry N2o. 3-7" extentions zzz chain. I only want to do 200 once........................