Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 09 Busa tuning advice needed  (Read 3170 times)

Offline AlterEgo

• Rider
09 Busa tuning advice needed
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:13:25 PM »
Hello All,

I'v been lurking here for a few months learning about the GEN2 Busa and editing the ECU with ECUeditor

Here is the plan for my Busa, I am racing at Bonneville Salt Flats. I was wondering if you could make some recommendations on some tuning maps for all out top speed run.

Bike is 09 Busa, stock with stock pipes and cans, ( Im running in production class) 

I’m going to start with +1 on front sprocket -2 on rear, with possibly 10-15 % slippage on the salt

I will be running a spec 100 octane gas, effective altitude at salt flats is 5000 – 6000 ft.   Temps low of 60s high around 90.  

I’m going to Tucson this Monday to run it on the ESP dyno.

Do you have any tips for running on Dyno or have any tunes that you could recommend?

So far I have learned that I should do the following while running on dyno.

1.  Run in 5th gear.  

2.  Bypass the air temp sensor to 20c.

3.  Turn off PAIR valve.

4.  Turn off o2 sensor

5.  Unify timing maps

6.  Set soft limiter to 12000 rpms

7.  Air box ducts are sealed.

8.  Change secondary throttle plates to 100% open

9. I'm going to start off with bumpin up timing by 2 deg. accross the range

Do you have any other recommendations?  Or am I wrong on any of the above.
Any and all input will be greatly appreciated

And special thanks to Greg Smith for helping me get the software and the hardware working.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 04:07:43 PM by AlterEgo »
I am my own AlterEgo

Offline Draco1340

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: 09 Busa tuning advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
I've tuned a couple of different Gen II with ECU editor.  My thoughts are as follows.  First, the limiter can be extended safely to 11,300.  Some say 11,500, and yes the torque falls off at the top, but this does give good over-rev protection.  Second, I would recommend using the hard limiter.  Easier on parts, and easier to hear.  At 200 MPH, there is no way you would feel or hear a soft limiter, and there is the possibility of pushing up against it for an extended period of time. 

The last point is that I have seen radically different maps on Gen II bikes giving roughly the same A/F ratio.  I don't think you can take someone elses map and use that as a baseline.  Forget about trivial difference from one pipe to another, or the big differences in density altitude from one venue to another.  At Loring last weekend, I helped tune one stock motor 08 busa with values of +70 - +80 in the power commander (huge numbers), and it was running at 12.9 to 13.0 A/F (bit rich but not bad) on the datalogger???  Those powercommander numbers shouldn't make the bike happy, but they did.  Point is that there seems to be a lot of variation in what your bike may want for fuel.    Differences in fuel pump or pressure or injectors;  I don't know, but I have never prescribed to the school that you can take someones map and save yourself the effort of tuning.  Even with a custom tuned dyno map, expect something different at speed and on the salt (I have no experience with salt).  You can always get a logger and tune it yourself.
I know I can do this.  I saw it done in a cartoon once.