Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: carbon fiber tank and fuel.  (Read 4239 times)

Offline sbr11

• Apprentice Post Whore
carbon fiber tank and fuel.
« on: August 14, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
anyone else in here hear about  a carbon fiber tank cannot hold regular fuel without expanding. if this is true is there anything that can be done to fix it?
thanks,

john

Offline Scary-Jerry

• Mad Post Whore
  • A Real Street Bike!
Re: carbon fiber tank and fuel.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »
All Non-Metal Tanks should Be Sealed with an Epoxy...  Google Fuel Tank Sealant and Pick one.  :wink:

1999: RCC 'Custom' Stage II Intercooled Turbo System, AMS1000, GSXR Front End & Wheels, Trac Swingarm, Elka Shock, Cut Tank, & a lot of Carbon...

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »
Yosh X-1 tank. Cheaper all around.  :D
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
The carbon fiber tank is used foir weight savings. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Yosh tank weighed close to the stock tank, so there's not much in the way of weight savings.
Thomas

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
The carbon fiber tank is used foir weight savings. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Yosh tank weighed close to the stock tank, so there's not much in the way of weight savings.

You are correct GSXRturbo1. That might be because it's fuel capacity is 24 liters over (21 L5.5 US gal) (California 19 L (5.0 US gal)) the stock Busa tank.

It costs $3500 plus change and are only available by way of special "one off" orders from Yoshimura. Yoyodyne's Carbon Fiber tank is shy of $1100USD so the savings of weight and costs are there to be duly noted. So if like Jerry says, if the issue of our atrocious fuel eating the CF can be avoided, the CF would be the way to go.

Unless you simply wanted pure bragging rights.  :hm:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח