Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: anbody here in the 300 club!?  (Read 16310 times)

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
  • South Florida, West Palm Beach
Re: anbody here in the 300 club!?
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »
god I miss Florida, I grew up in clearwater, want to get back bad.

i know clear water very well. used to camp up there as a kid. i actually live in Lake Worth, 2 blocks east of the intercoastal. i say west palm beach because no one knows where the hell L-Dub is. :lol: every morning it's not raining i swim and snorkel in the ocean for a couple hours as soon as the sun comes up. it's great exercise and a really calm peaceful way to slip into your day. i can't wait to be able to ride my busa over the bridge, around palm beach island and back just before sun up and hit the water at first peek. it just seems like the whole day goes better when i have my morning routine.
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 11:20:22 PM »
im 6'3"  at 335...my busa is my DD..i have racked over 75k miles in the 4 years i have had her..i know with the different rear sets is one of the more comfortable things i have done...adding a little more leg room and i dont cramp up in my hips anymore on long rides  :thumb:

i figured that would be the first MOD i make. my feet are HUGE and some of the shorty pegs and levers i have seen just make me laugh! the first thing i thought when i saw a short style rear set for racing was "ok tiny dancer, WTF am i supposed to do with that!?"

did you change the whole rear set or just put the adjustable drop pegs on. i was wondering about clearance of my wide, giant foot and gun boat shoes maybe being a tight fit and causing the rear brake or shift lever to drag with pressure on it because there wasn't enough room for my feet.... i'm not worried about having them too low or scrapping them because, lets be honest, i've never drug a knee in my life!  :lol:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline adamnflorida

• Rider
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 11:23:33 PM »
i wear between 14 and 15 wide,depends on the shoe..lol..but no problems..i changed the whole rearset out and have them on the lowest setting..
drive it like a rental...

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 05:47:39 AM »
im 6'3"  at 335...my busa is my DD..i have racked over 75k miles in the 4 years i have had her..i know with the different rear sets is one of the more comfortable things i have done...adding a little more leg room and i dont cramp up in my hips anymore on long rides  :thumb:

i figured that would be the first MOD i make. my feet are HUGE and some of the shorty pegs and levers i have seen just make me laugh! the first thing i thought when i saw a short style rear set for racing was "ok tiny dancer, WTF am i supposed to do with that!?"

did you change the whole rear set or just put the adjustable drop pegs on. i was wondering about clearance of my wide, giant foot and gun boat shoes maybe being a tight fit and causing the rear brake or shift lever to drag with pressure on it because there wasn't enough room for my feet.... i'm not worried about having them too low or scrapping them because, lets be honest, i've never drug a knee in my life!  :lol:

May want to look into the modded Buell pegs,have some on mine and they're way better than the stocker setup. :thumb:
(i don't know what they put in the water down there,but they sure do grow 'em big in your neighborhood...i don't want no problems bro :lol:)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 06:35:07 AM by piratediverjefff »
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »
Lol Jeff.

I combed the old threads last night and found the beull mod. (After I stopped searching "rearset" and started searching "pegs"...) Looks good to me! I remember some weird off set ratchetting things too that lowered the foot pegs, but the buell mod sounds better. I got the name of a guy on here that was selling kits with instructions as of like a year ago and he's still active, so when I'm ready I'll jump on that. Really cheap too! Around $40 for the buell pegs and that's WAY, WAY less than everything else I was looking at. The review said they were great and took a minute each side to install! :lol: you get ask for more than that!
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
Lol Jeff.

I combed the old threads last night and found the beull mod. (After I stopped searching "rearset" and started searching "pegs"...) Looks good to me! I remember some weird off set ratchetting things too that lowered the foot pegs, but the buell mod sounds better. I got the name of a guy on here that was selling kits with instructions as of like a year ago and he's still active, so when I'm ready I'll jump on that. Really cheap too! Around $40 for the buell pegs and that's WAY, WAY less than everything else I was looking at. The review said they were great and took a minute each side to install! :lol: you get ask for more than that!

Just had mine powdercoated last week and put 'em back on,like 'em a lot. :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2010, 02:38:05 PM »
Hahahahaha! My buddy that just bought his first bike called me and rubbed it in he was out cruising this morning. He said he came up with idea for my busa! I should paint it blue and put horns on the front and name it "Babe", so it can be "babe the big blue ox" to my "paul bunion"!!! :hys: :hys: I laughed so hard I almost cried! That little prick, I'm gonna put a stick in his spokes!!! :lol:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
Hahahahaha! My buddy that just bought his first bike called me and rubbed it in he was out cruising this morning. He said he came up with idea for my busa! I should paint it blue and put horns on the front and name it "Babe", so it can be "babe the big blue ox" to my "paul bunion"!!! :hys: :hys: I laughed so hard I almost cried! That little prick, I'm gonna put a stick in his spokes!!! :lol:

:lol:

Offline HOS

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Apocalyptic Whore
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 05:29:10 PM »
speed pigeon, in 2001 I was over 330 lbs and fit as f***. Thats why I survived my bike smash in Sept 2001.
People said I made my Busa look like a 250cc bike.

Only probs I had on my 1st Busa was tire wear and the stock suspension was not strong enough after a while.
I was completely trashing a rear tire every 1000 miles. 2 x rears to 1 x front tire.
I have no more sh*ts to give.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 06:19:44 PM »
speed pigeon, in 2001 I was over 330 lbs and fit as f***. Thats why I survived my bike smash in Sept 2001.
People said I made my Busa look like a 250cc bike.

Only probs I had on my 1st Busa was tire wear and the stock suspension was not strong enough after a while.
I was completely trashing a rear tire every 1000 miles. 2 x rears to 1 x front tire.

Oh yeah,i totally forgot about big HOS(sorry brother,it's that old age space out thing),he's a whopper too. :lol: :thumb:

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 06:41:26 PM »
Yeah. I was looking at the pilot road 2s. I like the idea of a hard center and softer side. They make a "B" series in the 180/55 size, for "loaded bikes and riding 2 up". Whatever is on the bike when I buy it I'll ride till it's dead, but I need to figure out what I'm going to do for good, properly selected, tires.

As far as suspension, I KNOW that's gonna be a problem! :lol: I was thinking today that 1 of 2 things were going to have to happen. Either 1, I will have to find a super strong shock or re-valve and change the oil in the one on the bike; or 2, have a custom bracket made and installed to run 2 shocks! I figure either will work.

I will use heavy oil and maybe re-valve the forks too.

That reminds me, suspension, forks and steering damper need to go on the spreadsheet! I have a running list of gear and mods that will be done immediately after the initial acquisition!! :thumb: 

I hear the stock damper works just fine with heavier oil. Is that correct or is it worth going aftermarket?
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
Yeah. I was looking at the pilot road 2s. I like the idea of a hard center and softer side. They make a "B" series in the 180/55 size, for "loaded bikes and riding 2 up". Whatever is on the bike when I buy it I'll ride till it's dead, but I need to figure out what I'm going to do for good, properly selected, tires.

As far as suspension, I KNOW that's gonna be a problem! :lol: I was thinking today that 1 of 2 things were going to have to happen. Either 1, I will have to find a super strong shock or re-valve and change the oil in the one on the bike; or 2, have a custom bracket made and installed to run 2 shocks! I figure either will work.

I will use heavy oil and maybe re-valve the forks too.

That reminds me, suspension, forks and steering damper need to go on the spreadsheet! I have a running list of gear and mods that will be done immediately after the initial acquisition!! :thumb: 

I hear the stock damper works just fine with heavier oil. Is that correct or is it worth going aftermarket?
The Pilot road 2 is one tough tire, its not the best as far as strait line bite but it wears like iron, I have 9K on a rear and no reason it wont go to 10 or more, and you could probubly get away with a stiffer spring, on the rear, and cranking up the adjustments, that's unless your going to play road racer, and I put 75-90 gear oil in my damper 2 years ago have had no issues  with it since :thumb:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 07:54:48 PM »
I have never had a issue with the stack dampener, little head shake never bothered me much. Ironic I hate wheelies but the bars moving around at 150 mph dont even phase me lol. I think I might try the road 2's as well when my 16 wears out, want to try to get more miles out of my tires.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Cool beans dave. No road racer here. But I would like to be able to grip and rip without the bike swimming or feeling loose under me so a good suspension/tire set-up is paramount. As for straight line grip, I think with almost 400lbs on the bike, the added weight will up the traction just fine. :lol:

When I feel good enough to hit the strip, I will have a softer tire and separate wheel and sprocket set up. I'll be riding it A LOT and am more concerned with a tire that will wear like a tank tread because of the weight, than a track or strip tire. :thumb:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »
Q- head shake freaks me out! I can't stand the bars shaking around!!! I can't have the bike swimming around or feeling squishy. I like things super tight and rigid. I would rather have the bumpy, hard jarring ride of hard tires and rock solid suspension.
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
Always find a balance to the squishy suspention, and bone jaring, each have there own flaws. A properly set up bike for your weight will be a please to ride, feel firm under you and not beat your spine out. Super soft front forks like the Busa has would make anything you do feel squishy. I am 230 and I could bounce the snubbers all day long, hard riding I had to use the throttle to hold the front end up. Once I got the forks done, it was a different bike.
Hi my name is Mark and I am a Bikeaholic.     Be carefull how fast you race through life, the finish line is death, and the trophy is a headstone.  Our perspective is how we judge our lives, to judge others we need a little change in our perspective.

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »
I've heard that about the Busa forks. My 1000 had Ohlins on it when I bought the bike and they were VERY nice! (Probably very expensive too) That's why the forks are one of the top priorities. Getting the bike set up and functional is the first order of business! I'll have plenty of time to make it look pretty later... :lol: I chose the busa for it's size and performance and that's what is top on my list. I want to get it done right ASAP. That way I'll get used to it the way it is supposed to be and will hopefully notice if something starts to act up.

Anybody have a line on a stiffer spring for my fat ass that will handle TWICE the recommended load of the OEM spring? :lol:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 08:53:46 PM »
Shit,at 6'2"/250 now i feel like a dwarf hangin' out with you big dudes...i gotta find a little man's section. :lol:

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 08:59:18 PM »
Lol jeff. I like ZX-ALAN playing in the heavy hitters section... He was 195 last post I saw... :hsy: :thumb:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline Quijinn

• Universal Post Whore
  • Kawasaki Hahahahahah
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »
Shit,at 6'2"/250 now i feel like a dwarf hangin' out with you big dudes...i gotta find a little man's section. :lol:

at 5 10 and 230 lbs if your a dwarf whats that make me lol.

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
Lol jeff. I like ZX-ALAN playing in the heavy hitters section... He was 195 last post I saw... :hsy: :thumb:

:lol: :thumb:

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2010, 10:31:08 PM »

:lol: :thumb:
Hell you guys make me feel like a pipsqueak, 6.0 @206, but I was up to 251 at one time, does that count :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2010, 10:50:58 PM »
No leaning on past accomplishments Dave… you’re 206 and that’s, that.  :lol:
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline speed_pigeon

• Post Master
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 11:20:08 PM »
so should i upgrade and by an entire new shock because of the HUGE difference in weight, or will a stiff spring suffice?
The Pigeonmobile!

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »
No leaning on past accomplishments Dave… you’re 206 and that’s, that.  :lol:

:hys: