Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: SCTA Questions  (Read 4088 times)

Offline 05chris

• Rider
SCTA Questions
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
have a few questions reguarding motorcycle frame classes.
what class would a showroom stock busa fall under(stock body work from the windscreen to undertail)? P ? and P for engine, so it would be in the P-P class? or something different?
now if you took that showroom stock busa and put a turbo on it,only adding the turbo though and left everything else unchanged from the factory, what class would that fall under? P-BG? P-BF? i don't see a P-BG or P-BF class listed.
or are hayabusas automaticaly put into the MPS class because of there body from the factory?
blown gas and blown fuel whats the difference between the 2 classes?
I've heard naked alot, does that mean all bodywork including the factory tank is removed? and if so what do you use for a gas tank? and what class would that fall under?
Does adding ballast to the swingarm change your class designation? what about extended swingarms, it would put you in the M class correct?
Thanks, trying to decided what class would be best for me to run in.

Offline osti33

• Post Master
Re: SCTA Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
have a few questions reguarding motorcycle frame classes.
what class would a showroom stock busa fall under(stock body work from the windscreen to undertail)? P ? and P for engine, so it would be in the P-P class? or something different?
now if you took that showroom stock busa and put a turbo on it,only adding the turbo though and left everything else unchanged from the factory, what class would that fall under? P-BG? P-BF? i don't see a P-BG or P-BF class listed.
or are hayabusas automaticaly put into the MPS class because of there body from the factory?
blown gas and blown fuel whats the difference between the 2 classes?
I've heard naked alot, does that mean all bodywork including the factory tank is removed? and if so what do you use for a gas tank? and what class would that fall under?
Does adding ballast to the swingarm change your class designation? what about extended swingarms, it would put you in the M class correct?
Thanks, trying to decided what class would be best for me to run in.

I'm no expert but I'll take a swing at this one.

That being said, your best bet is to go to the SCTA website and buy a rulebook. I think they cost about 10 bucks.

A 100% stock busa would run in P-P 1350. Production class. You can build the engine up to 1350cc's but the bike has to look 100% factory. Header, mufflers, windscreen, turn signals, the whole deal.

Stock bike with turbo, you go into MPS-BG or MPS-BF. Just depends on what gas you run. Don't have the record book in front of me but those records are up there. 253mph I think.

Blown Gas = you have to run event gas. Meaning you buy it from the fuel truck at the race and they seal your tank.
Blown fuel= run whatever gas you want. This includes pump gas.

Naked bike you can run the stock fuel tank.

Swingarm extentions will put you in M or A. Depends on how long they are. I think you can add up to 10% to the original wheelbase of the bike and stay in M. Any longer than that and you are in A.

2 Club member x 5
Bonneville, Loring, ECTA, Texas, Mojave

Offline 05chris

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

I'm no expert but I'll take a swing at this one.

That being said, your best bet is to go to the SCTA website and buy a rulebook. I think they cost about 10 bucks.

A 100% stock busa would run in P-P 1350. Production class. You can build the engine up to 1350cc's but the bike has to look 100% factory. Header, mufflers, windscreen, turn signals, the whole deal.

Stock bike with turbo, you go into MPS-BG or MPS-BF. Just depends on what gas you run. Don't have the record book in front of me but those records are up there. 253mph I think.

Blown Gas = you have to run event gas. Meaning you buy it from the fuel truck at the race and they seal your tank.
Blown fuel= run whatever gas you want. This includes pump gas.

Naked bike you can run the stock fuel tank.

Swingarm extentions will put you in M or A. Depends on how long they are. I think you can add up to 10% to the original wheelbase of the bike and stay in M. Any longer than that and you are in A.

thanks for the reply, and yes i do need to get a rule book, but was holding out till the first of the year when i buy a membership that includes a rulebook, so iam going off what i can find online in the mean time.
so a stock gen 1 busa wheelbase  is 58.5 inches long, 10% would be roughly 5.8 inches longer on the swingarm, so if i stay under that i should be ok in M. Now what if the neck is racked, does that automaticaly put me in A? or do i have to factor that in with the swingarm length and be no more then 10% longer total to stay in M?

What class would a naked busa fall into?
thanks for the help!

Offline Landspeed Larry

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »
Good questions Chris. Raking the frame in M class is not really spelled out in the rule book but I think it would be legal if the rest of the bike looks stock.(An email to the tech committe will bring a quick reply) The extra two inches of WB created by the rake would have to be subtracted from the swingarm. The Busa is so stable that rake is only needed for 250+ speeds and some have done it without. A naked Busa runs in M/G or M/F. The naked A class has to have over 10% WB increase or a 5L max fuel tank or an extended tail etc. That is all spelled out in the rulebook. I would suggest you bring your bike to a meet as it is (meeting the safety requirements) and just get used to running down the Salt at 180+. All the Busa records are difficult and require careful planning and execution to be competitive. Welcome to the addiction.  LSL
All motor all the time and a turbo now and then.

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:58:37 AM »
So changing cams and pistons might keep you in the stock class but had many ponies.

Offline 05chris

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 08:31:58 PM »
Good questions Chris. Raking the frame in M class is not really spelled out in the rule book but I think it would be legal if the rest of the bike looks stock.(An email to the tech committe will bring a quick reply) The extra two inches of WB created by the rake would have to be subtracted from the swingarm. The Busa is so stable that rake is only needed for 250+ speeds and some have done it without. A naked Busa runs in M/G or M/F. The naked A class has to have over 10% WB increase or a 5L max fuel tank or an extended tail etc. That is all spelled out in the rulebook. I would suggest you bring your bike to a meet as it is (meeting the safety requirements) and just get used to running down the Salt at 180+. All the Busa records are difficult and require careful planning and execution to be competitive. Welcome to the addiction.  LSL

thanks for the reply. yes i want to get my feet wet or salty i should say :lol:  i did order my $19 rule book last night, so iam sure when i get it and read it over i'll have more specific questions. and iam 26 hours away, so its a pretty long haul to get there and find out i can't run in the class i wanted to run in, so prep work and understanding whats allowed and not allowed for a certain class is really gonna be my main focus right now. i have all winter here in ohio to get the bike ready.
one last question for now, are the scta rules and ecta rules pretty much the same? so if iam within the rules for a scta class, i wont have to do major changes to run a ecta event?

Offline zrxdean

• Post Master
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 09:20:54 PM »
Correct, the ECTA book is based on the SCTA book, although there are a few differences. But if you are legal for SCTA, you are legal for ECTA (I'm pretty sure it goes that way).

You should definitely come out to a Maxton event, it's a blast, and you can get the bike and yourself closer to salt-ready. It's easier to hammer out the kinks in NC than at Bonneville.