Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Fuel Problem.... HELP!!!!!  (Read 6552 times)

Offline jdmfreakcrx

• Rider
Fuel Problem.... HELP!!!!!
« on: September 20, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
Alright guys, this is on a 2000 Busa with the external fuel pump.  I got a starter put on a few days ago, and well, i helped the guy tear it apart and well we took the tank off and all the plastics, and well i had to leave and a few hours go buy and he calls me says its done.  (really what im getting at is that i wasnt there when it went back together)  Well, there is a problem.  I got the bike, road it to the house, then up to hang out with my nephew at the park.  Well, I went to crank the bike up, and the battery seemed dead, so i was like... wtf? anyhow, called my buddy and he brought some jumper cable to try to crank it, all it did was spin and spin.... well i thought, hell lets put some gas in it, got a gas can put bout a gallon in and it cranked up.
I drove it to take meet up with my friend for dinner the next day, it road great.  i got to the restaurant we ate, took bout an hour, went outside, the bike just turned and turned.  there was a gas station right across the street so i rolled it over there put gas in it (filled it up) and it spun and spun, but didnt crank.  I called the guy who put the starter in he came out and we took the tank off at the gas station and a fuel like from the tank to the pump popped off we hooked it up and it cranked, but slowly and finally cranked up, but we put it on the trailer hauled it to his shop and hooked it up to the battery charger and it cranked up so i figured it was that line that was loose.  Well fast forward to today.  I charged the battery on my trickle charger last night, but it in and the bike cranked right up.  I drove it around, went to pick my friend up and we went to dinner.  After bout an hour, I came outside the bike spun and spun, but didnt crank.  I lifted the tank up, and put it back down, it cranked right up.  I guess what I am asking is, which lines go to which part on the fuel pump.  Do you think he may have hooked them up backwards? the bike runs right, just has some problems starting.  I also noticed the little valve on the  tank where the lines come off, i am assuming that it is a fuel cut off or something, what way does that need to be turned? also, I have 3 nipples coming off the bottom of the gas tank.  i am assuming one is a feed line, the other is a return line and another is.... idk wtf the other is, but is has always been blocked off.  guys help me!!! i have taken this girl out twice and the bike not start (and once i showed up to her house and the started went out) help me not look like a douche anymore haha!!!  I can post up pics of how it is and maybe someone can look at the pics and say "WHOA!!! I see what the problem is"

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
Re: Fuel Problem.... HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
starter clutch
Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
If the sound is that of the starter spinning real fast but not turning the engine over, it's likely the starter clutch. From what you've posted, I think that's what it is. Busas tend to eat starter clutches.
Thomas

Offline jdmfreakcrx

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
we looked at the starter clutch when we put the starter on and it looks brand new.  it turns over like normal, but it just seems like its not getting fuel.  Idk fellas, this weekend imma take the tank off and try to figure this shit out.  fuel pump is priming and the bike rides great... idk its pissing me off... missing my R1 haha

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:18:18 PM »
You cannot tell if a starter clutch is bad by the way it "looks"

By what you posted earlier, it sounded like the starter was just spinning without "catching", which would indicate starter clutch.

Good luck
Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
  ....and it spun and spun, but didnt crank.... 
Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »

... all it did was spin and spin.... 

.....and it spun and spun, but didnt crank.... 

....I came outside the bike spun and spun, but didnt crank... 

Thomas

Offline GSXRTURBO1

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 03:24:55 PM »
sorry, double post
Thomas

Offline jdmfreakcrx

• Rider
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:24:17 PM »
the reason i was leaning towards a fuel problem is that u can take the fuel tank, lift it up on the hinge, put it back down and the bike would crank fine. idk im going to look at that stuff this weekend, worst case scenario i do the starter clutch

Offline Rossco

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:43 PM »

You NEED to let the guys here KNOW if it is actually turning over OR if the stater is just spinning WITHOUT making the pistons go up and down?????
Accurate info is the only way anyone can help.

IF it is actually cranking the motor over but not starting, have a look for a fuel line that is being kinked when the tank is lowered.

Offline jdmfreakcrx

• Rider
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 12:17:06 PM »
yeah sorry bout that guys, no the motor is turning over, its not just the starter spinning.  it is turning over but doesnt fire up.  thats the thing that gets me.  and its got this little cut off down there ( i assume is a cut off) and im not sure which way that lever needs to be turned.  im going to mess with it this evening.  The motor is turning over but doesnt crank.... if i let it sit over night, it cranks, if it runs then i cut it off and immediately crank it up, it cranks, but if i let it sit for an hour or two.... doesnt crank until i mess with the tank

Also, how long will the motor stay running with a kinked fuel line? like i can ride it around, but i dont ride it much b/c i dont want the fuel pump to work harder than it needs to cuz the line is kinked.  Also, if the fuel likes from the tank to the fuel pump are switched will it crank? there is nothing that says "feed" or "inlet" on the tank or fp, i just want to make sure that the lines are connected right
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:18:47 PM by jdmfreakcrx »

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 08:10:36 PM »
 The motor is turning over but doesnt crank....
isnt turning over the same as cranking?  do you mean its turning over but not starting?
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers

Offline jdmfreakcrx

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »
yeah thats what i meant haha, yeah its turning over but doesnt start.  fuel pump is priming, and like i said park it for like an hr or 2 after riding it for a bit, it wont start, unless i play with takin the tank off then it will start up. and if i let it sit over night, it will start on the first try, idk fellas, i wanted to mess with it tonight, but i have been so damn busy with work, im going to mess with it tomorrow evening.  anyone got a 1999-2000 that could tell me about that lever on the bottom of the fuel tank?

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »
sounds like a kinked line to me, when you lower the tank take a good look between the tank and frame as you lower it and you can just about see the line as the tank goes all the way down, you should just install a fuel pressure gage like the turbo bikes has
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 02:05:15 PM by TT »
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers