Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Insurance on modified bike?  (Read 9839 times)

Offline BUGSLAYER

• Rider
Insurance on modified bike?
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
Lets say you knew someone who was having a stage-2 turbo kit fitted to his road going Hayabusa in California.  Would that hypothetical person need to declare this modification to his insurance company and would he have to pay a different insurance premium if he did so?  This is not me of course, just asking........ :lol:

Offline nykon

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: Insurance on modified bike?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 08:47:46 AM »
from what ive seen on sites liek Progressive, they ask if you have a turbo, nitrous , or modified frame.

If you say yes to any of them then deny your claim all together and wont cover you. If you want to cover your parts seems best way is to buy additional coverage for accessories.

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 07:48:53 PM »
I have progressive, and when I bought the bike it was all stock. Now that I've done a turbo, swing arm engine mods, ive added it on to my policy. Through them you can buy up to $30,000.00 in accessory insurance, as long as you have the papers to back it up. Any motorcycle policy includes 3k off add ons...again provided you faxed in your receipts. I just added another $5,000 worth of coverage, and it only jumped my premium $2 a month, on a full coverage policy. I don't think that's too shabby.

TURBOLAG: The split second the other guy thinks hes winning.

Offline ondre30

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:35:53 PM »
Yeah I have a turbo bike and State Farm told me to give them copies of the receipts and keep them and I would be covered.

Offline tekati

• Rider
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:43:19 PM »
Yeah I have a turbo bike and State Farm told me to give them copies of the receipts and keep them and I would be covered.

How much more was your insurance after you gave them the receipts?

Offline dadofthree

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
It's hard to get it over on them anymore. Your friend mods his bike and it gets stolen or damaged and they laugh at you when you try to make a claim. Tell them.

Had a local total a 2007 and rack up a couple hundred thousand in medical. The bike was in his Mom's name and so was the insurance. They paid zip......... stated he wasn't covered.

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
I just told them it was a Hayabusa and they charged me an additional 224 bucks.  Liability only.  
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Kirk

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
Best to just be honest and lay all of your cards on the table. 

If you try to pull a fastie on them, you're just giving them an excuse to leave you twisting in the wind.

There is no "magic" that stops people from suing you- we live in a VERY litigious society- you can sue anyone, at any time, for any reason.  And if there's no VALID insurance policy to go after, they'll just take your house and/or every penny you ever make for the rest of your life.  The liability insurance on your vehicle serves a very important function, as a "buffer" against you sustaining these types of financial trauma directly. 

But if they think that they're insuring a large, friendly Suzuki sport-touring motorcycle, and their fraud investigator's investigation reveals that you were actually using a land-based SCUD missle (with handlebars) that you assembled in your car-port over a few hundred beers, they'll RIGHTLY tell you to go pound sand up your butt, and walk away from you, leaving you with your pants around your ankles in front of people who are very well-equipped, very motivated, and very justified in doing you financial harm. 

It could even become a criminal matter- want to become someone's girlfriend in jail over something like this? 

Why would you lie to the people that you're paying to protect you from that?  They're on your side, and  you want to hose them?  To save a few bucks a month on premiums? 

The whole reason that insurance is expensive to start with, is because the insurance companies pass on the expense of insurance fraud to the rest of us- so you're really trying to screw us when you're dishonest with your insurance company.  Every time one of us writes a check to our insurance company, we do so knowing that a good portion of that goes to cover the expenses of thieving sacks of shit committing insurance fraud.
-Kirk