Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: 02' GSXR 1k Modifications?  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Blacklisted

• Apprentice Post Whore
02' GSXR 1k Modifications?
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:46:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I have to rebuild my 02' GSXR and while I have it apart I am wondering what little mods/tricks there are for rebuilding the bike.  I am kinda interested in putting a 1070 kit in it if I can't just get away with honing the cylinders.  What other things would I need if I were to go with the 1070 kit?  I am kinda on a budget but can put some money into things I will need.  Would I need cams or can I get away with the stock setup?  Are there any tricks on timing the cams that get you more power or any other things like porting the head?  All ideas are appreciated.  Also this is in a sand car with a cut down stock harness to get rid of all the unnecessary stock stuff.  Thanks in advance for any input.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:43:59 PM by Blacklisted »

Offline RetiredUSAF

• Rider
  • Where am I?
Re: 02' GSXR 1k Modifications?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
I found out today that stock OEM intake cams from an 05 model are .370 lift ..... you might wanna slap them in your 02 motor, on both sides.
Michael Lewis
Glad to be USAF-retired

Offline Blacklisted

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 07:37:40 PM »
Another question, what are the chances that the cylinder walls are ok?  I sucked in alot of sand from a messed up airbox.  Looking at piston kits there are no oversized pistons except big bore kits.  I have only rebuilt dirtbikes and quads that you can punch the cylinder over size.  On these bikes do you have to put in new jugs?  Any info would help.  Thanks in advance.

Also how do you set up e mail notification on posts?  Can it be done?

Al

Offline RetiredUSAF

• Rider
  • Where am I?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 05:09:41 AM »
You might get lucky and use 05-style pistons.  I "think" they have a slightly oversized bore ..... less than 1mm.  If not, best bet is to go 3mil, making your motor 1070cc.

It'll be fine - it'll crank off 1 battery, not run hot and can run on pump gas.  You'll have to have your mono-block bored and replated, thou.

I am unsure how to set up your account to receive notifications.
Michael Lewis
Glad to be USAF-retired

Offline Blacklisted

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
You might get lucky and use 05-style pistons.  I "think" they have a slightly oversized bore ..... less than 1mm.  If not, best bet is to go 3mil, making your motor 1070cc.

It'll be fine - it'll crank off 1 battery, not run hot and can run on pump gas.  You'll have to have your mono-block bored and replated, thou.

I am unsure how to set up your account to receive notifications.

So the 1070 kit won't run any hotter than stock setup?  I have a bigger battery because I am not running a bike so that shouldn't be a problem.  Is the 1070 kit any less reliable than stock?  As of right now I think it will be cheaper to find a used motor and drop it in, then start building the blown one as money comes around.  Thanks and if there are any othere little tricks on setting the motor up let me know.