Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: '02 busa skipping in 2nd gear  (Read 14014 times)

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
'02 busa skipping in 2nd gear
« on: December 23, 2010, 07:49:36 AM »
have a '02 busa skipping in second gear!..it only happens when trying to get on the throttle hard..if i bang thru the gears real fast it doesn't seem to skip.I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and maybe have some input. I realize it could be my 2nd gear giving way or a shift fork some how be misaligned. Any info would be great thanks

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: '02 busa skipping in 2nd gear
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:26:47 AM »
have a '02 busa skipping in second gear!..it only happens when trying to get on the throttle hard..if i bang thru the gears real fast it doesn't seem to skip.I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else and maybe have some input. I realize it could be my 2nd gear giving way or a shift fork some how be misaligned. Any info would be great thanks

...to hundreds of us(myself included).I'm not qualified to give specific information but i know it involves needing 2nd gear back cut/possibly new shift forks(and  may as well do some billet shafts while you're in there),etc.Pretty sure you'll have to pull the motor/split the cases,but someone on here will chime in soon and give you the specifics. :thumb:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline boofoo

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »

...to hundreds of us(myself included).I'm not qualified to give specific information but i know it involves needing 2nd gear back cut/possibly new shift forks(and  may as well do some billet shafts while you're in there),etc.Pretty sure you'll have to pull the motor/split the cases,but someone on here will chime in soon and give you the specifics. :thumb:
Don't forget might need new shift drum too.  :cry:

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:06:36 AM »
Is there some way to check it without pulling the motor and splitting the cases etc...?

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 10:09:42 AM »
Are you running synthetic oil?
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
no..what would that have to do with it..maybe give it a try?

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »
no..what would that have to do with it..maybe give it a try?
Sure. This was my first guess over having to rebuild immediately. These things have had this problem with slipping second gear since day one (1999 models). Get that dino oil out of there, place with your favourite synthetic (Mobil1, AmSoil, whatever) and take it easy when you are shifting. Be sure to notably shift it in before allowing the release of the clutch. Hard on your parts, hard on your pocket. Remember, any way you toss it, speed costs money.
-Chris

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 01:12:02 PM »
Well,I will give the synthetic a try,noting that i can cruise second get without slipping,its just when i grap the throttle hard it slips..we'llsee if the synthetic helps any.I was tryin to rule out anything before having to tear anything apart.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »
I'm not saying that IS the problem,,, it is just a good place to start. Go easy on that transmission,,, they aren't bullet proof until you build it that way. :wink:
-Chris

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:07:44 PM »
I understand! gonna try anything before i have to tear down the engine...which will prolly have to be done eventually!..thanks for adding suggestions tho! :thumb:

Offline Chuck Wilburn

• Post Whore
    • http://www.tupeloperformancecycles.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 05:04:19 PM »
tear it down and fix it, nothing else is going to work.

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 05:16:03 PM »
ur right chuck!!

Offline kickinit48

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »
 :thumb:

Offline __NATE__

• Post Master
  • Corpus Christi Tx
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 12:00:54 PM »
Yea your tranny and shift forks are BLEEEEEPPPED lol

Been in your shoes so best advice I could give is.. Start buying the parts you need billet shift shafts OEM shift forks lower end gasket kit and I would pick up a good used transmission and have
it sent off to be undercut.. That way when you or someone else pulls the motor it could be completed in 1 to 2 days depending on person doing it.. hate to see ya motor sit open for a few weeks..

07 BLACK BUSA..
Don't lend out your wife or your bike, someone will throw a rod in either one of them...

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »
:thumb:

Can also check out Carolina Cycles,pretty sure they have complete transmissions ready to go on an exchange basis(that's what's in mine after my 2nd gear went,has been in for 3 years now with no issues :thumb:).

http://www.carolinacycle.net/index.php
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline phalehorse

• Apprentice Post Whore
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 09:17:25 AM »

Been in your shoes so best advice I could give is.. Start buying the parts you need billet shift shafts OEM shift forks lower end gasket kit and I would pick up a good used transmission and have
it sent off to be undercut.. That way when you or someone else pulls the motor it could be completed in 1 to 2 days depending on person doing it.. hate to see ya motor sit open for a few weeks..

Realize I am late to this talk but I have an 06 busa with 5800 on the clock that is doing the same thing. Were is the best place to purchase the mentioned parts and what is the average cost?

Offline sportbikeryder

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »

Realize I am late to this talk but I have an 06 busa with 5800 on the clock that is doing the same thing. Were is the best place to purchase the mentioned parts and what is the average cost?

Talk to Dwayne at Cycle Concepts. he will treat you right :thumb:
Any day on a motorcycle like this that ends just needing parts and labor is a good day.
4.82, 158.67mph 1/8th mile 7.350, 200.32mph 1/4 mile Riding

4.392, 176.79mph 1/8th mile  6.610, 228.15mph 1/4 mile Tuning

Offline Cycle Concepts

• Rider
    • Cycle Concepts Racing
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »

Talk to Dwayne at Cycle Concepts. he will treat you right :thumb:

Thanks John!! :thumb:

We'll be glad to help anybody with parts and services they may need..When it comes to the hayabusa, it seems like we are fixing the tranny in one or two weekly..2nd gear is just not up to the task..cut the entire tranny, eef up the shift shaftsalong with new forks and all your problems are solved!! :tu:

Offline J-Rock

• New User!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 08:12:08 PM »
I have a 2005 busa and an 03 busa. My wife mainly rides the 05 cause the 03 is too fast for her and she never rags on the bike like I do on mines. However the 05 has this 2nd gear failure also. Wtf!? This should be considered a factory recall if its so damn common dont ya'll think? Now I have to tear into a bike that was properly broken in with all scheduled maintenence done on time so I can fix a tranny fail after only 15000 miles og babying this shit. How much is this going to cost me?

[violin playing in the background]

Offline TT

• OFF TOPIC
  • Post Master
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 09:46:43 AM »
tear it down and fix it, nothing else is going to work.
:tu: :tu:
alcohol is the cause and solution to all my problem,s

it burn,s when i pee

tattoos and harley,s  both image enhancers