Haybusa Parts and Service Member Support

Author Topic: Fiirst Break-In Ride..........  (Read 32052 times)

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
Re: Fiirst Break-In Ride..........
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 06:53:16 AM »
Cookie,
              Oh My Gosh!!!  It is great to hear your "voice" again.  Thanks much for the kind words.  You are aces, pal.  Great way to start the new year.

As far as the Harleys go..........I did ride 'em and worked on 'em for 25 years...a lot.  But those old Shovelhead motors were light years behind the new dual-cam units that Harley makes now.  Their  new stuff has quality control and longevity built in that was unheard of when I rode those old shovels.  

Your point is well taken.  In fact, I might be on a new one some day....a second bike.......as a cruiser and long-haul ride.  My pal Freddy has a Busa and a Harley bagger and loves 'em both.  He rides the bagger to Sturgis.  He is a bit younger than me......only 59.

Take care.......great to hear from you.  :D

Hi Dave, a couple things I'd like to point out, while true the twin cams are two or three times the motor the old shovels were, they will never sound as good, and your bud Freddy has a excellent choice of bikes  :tu:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2011, 03:10:33 PM »
Welcome back Superdave! Remember you well. Also remember you having my back quite a few times with the ignorant pissing matches id get into. The things we do to pass time :lol: :lol:. The gen 2 is an awesome machine, you wont regret buying one. Now get that thing broke in and get it to dennis for a turbo :tu: :lol: Happy New Year my friend!!!

ps- dont say nothing but that cookie, he still out there in space :tu: :hys:

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • I'VE UPPED MY STANDARDS ,,, SO UP YOURS!
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »

At least I use the supplied oxygen,,, unlike other known astronauts we know!  :grn: :hys:
-Chris

גַּבְרִיאֵל guide me to the light ישוע המשיח

Offline murderedout07

• Mad Post Whore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »
I too am one of those guys that says break it in the way your gonna ride it. Beat the Hell out of it! (within reason) But I typically change the oil 200, 500, 1000 miles at first. Then every 2k there on out, due to being turbo, and having a wet clutch.

TURBOLAG: The split second the other guy thinks hes winning.

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 07:38:54 AM »

At least I use the supplied oxygen,,, unlike other known astronauts we know!  :grn: :hys:

:lol:

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
Welcome back Superdave! Remember you well. Also remember you having my back quite a few times with the ignorant pissing matches id get into. The things we do to pass time :lol: :lol:. The gen 2 is an awesome machine, you wont regret buying one. Now get that thing broke in and get it to dennis for a turbo :tu: :lol: Happy New Year my friend!!!

Time and life experiences have, to put it bluntly, changed and humbled the old SuperDave to a certain degree.  I think I will just keep my current handle, although I do appreciate the offer.....and Pat, I deeply regret any "ancient" lunacy I demonstrated in my old posts.  That is for you and to any other board members as well.   You can just call me Dave, or SuperDave or Dufus or whatever you wish.  I will be glad to respond positively.  Happy New Year, Sir Pat!!!   :)   
"The thrill of Boost cannot be duplicated on earth."

"One drink is too many and a thousand is not enuf."

"Step UP or Step Aside"

"Four wheels moves the body,
Two wheels moves the soul."

Offline Pat Dietrich

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • 8.6 @ 160 all motor
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
How bout  SirSuperDave :tu:

Have a great day bro!

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 06:29:54 PM »
How bout  SirSuperDave :tu:

Have a great day bro!

As you wish.   :D :thumb:

Right back at ya........and "Keep it fast, Keep it safe" :wink:

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline Rocketgeezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

Time and life experiences have, to put it bluntly, changed and humbled the old SuperDave to a certain degree.  I think I will just keep my current handle, although I do appreciate the offer.....and Pat, I deeply regret any "ancient" lunacy I demonstrated in my old posts.  That is for you and to any other board members as well.   You can just call me Dave, or SuperDave or Dufus or whatever you wish.  I will be glad to respond positively.  Happy New Year, Sir Pat!!!   :)   
Dave, it happens to the best of us, the effects of age, we can't believe the shit we used to do, just one thing, I don't think i would call you SuperDave, because it reminds me of that dipshit that used to be on showtime, Super Dave Osborn  :lol:
The older you get do you notice you start chickening out way before the bike does

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »
I love that guy.  :mrgreen:
-Chris

Offline servion

• Site Donor
  • Rider
    • Servion Tuning
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »
We've been doing the mototune breakin method on car engines for years and never had an issue.  I always warm a fresh motor up to full operating temp (i.e. fans kick on) while varying the rpm slightly, then kill it and change the oil and filter right away (get out assembly lube, major filings or dusts, etc.).  After that, warm it up fully and beat on it on the dyno, including both hard acceleration and deceleration (building rpm gradually).  You can see oil smoke for the first few minutes (especially on looser motors), and as the breakin continues and the rings seat, the smoke goes away, pretty cool to watch the breakin actually occur.  Then we'll change the oil and filter again, and put miles on it (if its a street vehicle).  Changing oil and filter again at 500 and 1000 miles.
Official Site Donor
8.61@168.9 1.47 60' - E85 stock motor gen1 streetbike
My Autronic SM4 Stage 1 build

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 07:52:19 AM »
Well, we finally got two good days in a row last Saturday and Sunday.  64 and sunny on Saturday and 67 on Sunday.  I took the new scooter out Saturday after letting it warm up and immediately began to load the motor in 2nd, 3rd and 4th between 3500 and 6500 and kept doing that while edging up to 9 grand and then chopping the throttle to let it come back to 3 grand for the first 25 miles.  Fortunately here we have some excellent back roads where you can use 4th gear and there was little to no traffic.  I kept that up until I had about 50 miles on the bike and then parked it overnight.  The next day, I did more of the same with some freeway riding but still rowed through the gearbox up and down never letting the RPMs stay constant.  Bike has a little over 100 miles on it now.  It runs very, very well........much faster than my 2001 when it was stock.  I like this Gen II bike and for me, with the Gen Mar risers on it, it is very comfortable.  This could be love. :D

"Step UP or Step Aside"

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
Rocketgeezer,
                        I had no intention of a full throttle run.........but I had hoped to buzz it a little.  From what you have posted, I can do that without fear of hurting it, up to a point.  Breaking in one of these new bikes is not like is was when I broke in my 1968 BSA 650 Hornet.  That was my first bike and I paid 1135 bucks for it out the door.  

These new bikes are so far ahead of those old ones, it is not even worth comparing.  Having said that, they all still have a certain amount of metal to metal contact and the only thing that keeps the motors from frying is a good oil and a good cooling system......in my opinion.  In 1968, no motorcycles were liquid cooled.  And oil was all petroleum based.  No synthetics.  The only additive was STP.  And that stuff was nothing more than 190 weight oil.  Not good for a bike.    

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. No Harley Jokes from me.........I rode Harleys for 25 years, bored and stroked, and even had one on the cover of Hot Bike Magazine in September of 1985.  But, those were tractors compared to these bikes.

Damn,that brings back memories;first bike was a '67 BSA 650 Hornet bought in '69,a '54 Pan in 1970 and a dozen other H-D's throughout the next 28 years ending with a '98 Fatboy in 1998(got ripped off within 3 weeks).First Jap bike ever in '02(silver and grey Busa)and 2nd in '03(the black and grey Busa i still have today). :tu:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »

Damn,that brings back memories;first bike was a '67 BSA 650 Hornet bought in '69,a '54 Pan in 1970 and a dozen other H-D's throughout the next 28 years ending with a '98 Fatboy in 1998(got ripped off within 3 weeks).First Jap bike ever in '02(silver and grey Busa)and 2nd in '03(the black and grey Busa i still have today). :tu:

WoW! I knew we had a few things in common!!  I just couldn't put a fix on it. My first street bike was a 1967 BSA Hornet, too! WHAT?  :mrgreen:

bsahornet

Now,,, I just have to get me a sea lion gurfriend.   8) then we be coo
-Chris

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 05:28:28 PM »

WoW! I knew we had a few things in common!!  I just couldn't put a fix on it. My first street bike was a 1967 BSA Hornet, too! WHAT?  :mrgreen:

bsahornet

Man,those Hornets got around.

Good to see ya back Cooker(and i'll hook ya up :lol:). :tu:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day,light a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 05:47:03 PM »
Heh,,, cannot keep a good man down, as the saying is said.

Thanks for the hook-up,,, that's what I like,,, a Man that isn't afraid to share his dock-load!  :lol:
-Chris

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
Heh,,, cannot keep a good man down, as the saying is said.

Thanks for the hook-up,,, that's what I like,,, a Man that isn't afraid to share his dock-load!  :lol:

...you still got it. :lol: :tu:

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »
i know  :lol:
-Chris

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 06:23:19 PM »
i know  :lol:

A little cooler today. 68 for highs. We both got that! You maybe a little warmer. :lol:
-Chris

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »

Offline FlatlandBusa

• OFF TOPIC
  • Mad Post Whore
  • -John- Middleofnowhere, Nebraska
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:22:57 PM by FlatlandBusa »
"You can not escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today."
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline piratediverjefff

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2011, 05:53:28 AM »

Offline Cookie

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
-Chris

Offline Ghost-Geezer

• OFF TOPIC
  • Universal Post Whore
  • Older But Still Sexy
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »

bsahornet

Dang!!,
            That looks identical to my '68 except my mufflers were a tad larger in diameter and the pipes were not slash cut.  Other than that, they are twins.
I used to have problems with that bike's headlight.  At night, the faster you went, the brighter it got until at about 90......it blew out!!!  No battery, just a magneto, and the faster you went the more voltage you made and those bikes did not have the Zenor Diodes to bleed off the excess voltage, so I went through a lot of headlight bulbs.  My 1970 Bonny did not have that issue.

Dave :D

P.S.  I love my new Busa...........my son is coming home from UTC Chattanooga tonight and we are gonna ride together on the street for the first time together this week-end.  It is supposed to get up to almost 60 on Sunday.  I bought him a naked Suzuki SV 650 and he loves it.  He will kick my butt in the twisty stuff but I just might shade that 650 in the straights.  It will be a blast.  His name is Dylan, and he is 20 and rode dirt for years before getting on the street...........we named him after Bob Dylan if you can believe that.....I am just an old hippie-biker at heart.   :lol:

"Step UP or Step Aside"